GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R - Car and Driver

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
CarNet is useless as far as I can see, I agree. I actually can see people paying for OnStar, as from what I can tell it actually does stuff.

TarzanoftheApes

Ready to race!
2018 Golf R Manual Faster?

Anyone else notice the 2018 manual was faster than previous year manuals (according to the C&D article)? I loved my previous 2016 GTI, but the manual transmission was just too terrible. There's something about it that stops you from performing really quick shifts. I had all the standard mods, the delay valve delete, spring delete, short shifter, bushings, etc.

When I traded it in for my current Miata, I realized how slow the GTI manual transmission really was. Anyway, the point is that I'm really hoping they did something to fix this, and that it was the cause of the improved acceleration numbers.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
lol, stay classy BMW.

I believe CarPlay is a $500 add as well.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Anyone else notice the 2018 manual was faster than previous year manuals (according to the C&D article)? I loved my previous 2016 GTI, but the manual transmission was just too terrible. There's something about it that stops you from performing really quick shifts. I had all the standard mods, the delay valve delete, spring delete, short shifter, bushings, etc.

When I traded it in for my current Miata, I realized how slow the GTI manual transmission really was. Anyway, the point is that I'm really hoping they did something to fix this, and that it was the cause of the improved acceleration numbers.

I was wondering about that, too. Then again, these magazine numbers are often suspect, if nothing else due to typos and stuff. But if the manuals are now a lot better across the board, stock, that would be good news.

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
I love my GTI and I have driven an R and thought it was great, but...... No sunroof, no armrest, and no deals. I doubt I would leave my GTI for a subie, but as a value prop, the R is a pricey piece and its not the fastest car in the segment right?

Summons

I love my GTI and I have driven an R and thought it was great, but...... No sunroof, no armrest, and no deals. I doubt I would leave my GTI for a subie, but as a value prop, the R is a pricey piece and its not the fastest car in the segment right?

True... Not the fastest - somewhere near the slowest if I remember, but... Best mannered, most practical, least silly looking (wings etc...) and most comfortable. All that said, all the cars in the segment go stupid fast; vastly faster than our speed limits or traffic safely allow, so for many R owners, the rest of the list of pro's sells the car. Sold it for me! :D
Eric

bboytaktix

Ready to race!

-Armrest is now a moot point since it opens now (Canada at least)
-Sunroof really depends on the person - So happy it doesn't come with one but YMMV
-Not fastest in its class, but second fastest (only to the RS) by most tests by motojournalists. Definitely not slower than the STI...take that from someone coming from an STI

And speaking of someone coming from an STI - spend a week in one...you'll thoroughly enjoy the raw driving experience, but you will be super excited to get BACK into your golf.

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG

I went from a 2007 STI Limited to a MK6 GTI, and now a Mark7 R. If you daily drive your car as I do (almost 40,000 miles in just under 2 years on the R, 86000+ on the GTI), you would never go back to a Subie. I say this with much Subie love in my heart. Both VW's are just so civilized and fun in all kinds of conditions compared to the STI (and the 2 WRX's that I had before the STI). It may not be the fastest in the segment, but it is the best overall car in the segment.

Veedubgli

Ready to race!
Ha! I had the trial too. Now, if it knows the doors are locked and there are no fault codes, why can't it at least provide REMOTE START!! I might subscribe then...

Agreed....it's really lame that we don't have a remote start option with Car-Net.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Agreed....it's really lame that we don't have a remote start option with Car-Net.

I've read that it could be something to do with "environmental" affects of idling the cars (lol dieselgate) but more importantly that it has something to do with the direct injection. The manual states not to warm the car up either, just start and go.

Duhg

Maybe they defeated the anti-NVH settings that slightly bog 1st and 2nd gear?
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21888

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
The dsg version is a tiny bit quicker than the rs in all comparisons that I've seen.
Makes sense, even with the power deficit compared to the rs it's simply impossible to beat the swiftness of the dsg shifts with a stick.