GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire size Question

Buguyed

Ready to race!
Hello!

I have a friend that is offering me some Audi rims for winter.. They are size 245/40R18. Based on my math, that’s 6mm or 0.236, taller of a tire than my stock 235/35 R19”.

Does anyone know if this is enough to be an issue for the cars AWD system? I’m guessing it will mess with my speedo a little..

Thanks everyone!

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Hello!

I have a friend that is offering me some Audi rims for winter.. They are size 245/40R18. Based on my math, that’s 6mm or 0.236, taller of a tire than my stock 235/35 R19”.

Does anyone know if this is enough to be an issue for the cars AWD system? I’m guessing it will mess with my speedo a little..

Thanks everyone!

40R18 is what i (and a lot of other people) run in the winter (i run 225/40/18). It's pretty close to OEM but not perfect. I've had no troubles with any DAP features. The 245 i'm not sure how that will fit or if it will rub, i've seen lots of people side down but don't recall seeing anyone go for a wider width.

Depending on the year make sure the bolt pattern is the same, it should be but double check just in case.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
A 245 40 18 is bigger od than a 225 40 18. Width increases height (od) on the same series tire. 225 40 on an 18 inch wheel is the oem stock size for those who have 18” wheels from factory. The 245’s might rub depending on offset of wheels, you might have to do the fender screw mod, you may not.

Quick search shows the o.d for 225 40 18 is about 25.1
245 40 18 is 25.7

And the stock oem 235 35 19 should be around 25.5, so not sure which brand tire the guys running but .4 bigger od than the stock 18s

Last edited:

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG
I have been running 245/40x18 on 8.5" wide Neuspeed wheels successfully on my R. I just took them off because it was time to put on my winter setup. I had done some research on here, and others had used them as well, so I went for it. In about 12000 miles of driving, there were 2 or 3 instances where road conditions caused a brief rub. These were all at pavement joints taken at high speed in construction areas on I-94. Inspection showed no sign of any damage to the tires or car. HTH.

Last edited:

databurst

Passed Driver's Ed
I have been running 245 40 18 on my summer set with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on 8" width wheels with 45 offset, and stock ride height and have not run into any issues. But it must be pretty close to the limits. Differences in overall diameter like others have mentioned from the stock 19s to this size is very small at about only .2" and it doesn't mess with my DAP.

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
you'll be fine as long as you replace all 4 ;)

hakwuzhere

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a similar issue, I have Nogaro 18s on my 17 R and the hankook tires are total crap in the cold. Was thinking of going to BFG gcomp 2 A/S. But wanted to consider going up to a 235 or 245 tire. Any major disadvantages to that?

Most os these threads are talking about 8”wide wheels and mine are 7.5s

SRoads

Ready to race!
245 on a 7.5 wide rim are a little big. 235 may be also as the BFGs tend to run wide for size.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You don’t want wide tires for snow, so while those will fit it’s not ideal

Edit. You never mentioned the ET of the Audi wheels in question. If they’re a lower offset you’d be more likely to rub

Buguyed

Ready to race!
I have been running 245 40 18 on my summer set with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on 8" width wheels with 45 offset, and stock ride height and have not run into any issues. But it must be pretty close to the limits. Differences in overall diameter like others have mentioned from the stock 19s to this size is very small at about only .2" and it doesn't mess with my DAP.

Is your speedo affected at all?

Buguyed

Ready to race!
You don’t want wide tires for snow, so while those will fit it’s not ideal

Edit. You never mentioned the ET of the Audi wheels in question. If they’re a lower offset you’d be more likely to rub

ET 47