GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Focus RS owner looking for thoughts/opinions on switching to a Golf R ...

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Like the title says, I'm looking for opinions/thoughts/advice on switching from a '17 Focus RS to a '15 or '16 DSG Golf R.

I'm in the "doing my research" phase, but I'm definitely thinking this is the right move. I think I would like an automatic (something I haven't had in 14 years), especially one that isn't a huge compromise. Also, I'd like something that has a little more forgiving ride quality. I don't think the RS is terrible, but I know the Golf R is "more forgiving" in terms of ride quality.

This will simply be a daily driver. I don't visit the track (yet), and I don't auto-x.

Have you gone from an RS to an R? Are you happy with your decision?

Thanks in advance!

I had a deposit on the RS but went with a R instead. I came from a mk6 dsg gti so I knew what I was getting with the R but I wanted to try the RS since it was getting great reviews. Turns out the suspension will break your back and the interior is garbage base ford focus material. The only thing the RS has on the R is a heated steering wheel, sunroof, exhaust sound, and better AWD system. Not to mention the RDU and head gasket issues.

I would only move to a RS if i could pick one up for a steal or if I ended up totaling out my R.

Sanderskog

Ready to race!
Yeah I'm willing to travel anywhere in the country for the right one.

Good to know about the infotainment system. I'll keep my search to a 16/17.

Realistically, I'm looking for something < $33,000.

Are aftermarket head units a thing in the MK7? Or is it more trouble than it's worth?

You'll find it. Just be patient. Many don't know the value of these cars. Shop around and call the dealers that don't have the price on the ad.

A little over a month ago I bought a 2017 DSG R with 3400 miles on it for just under your price point. Car was clean and the only thing not factory was tinted windows.

I too looked at a RS. Love them for a weekend toy but not for a daily. Ride was too harsh for a commuter IMO.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Eh, I don't have DCC on my '16 and really, the car's ride is still quite tolerable even on Vermont's dreadful frost-heaved "roads" that were probably good when people had horses pulling carts. So I wouldn't make that a deal-breaker, though I would definitely test drive the car to see for yourself.

m0kk

I had a deposit on the RS but went with a R instead. I came from a mk6 dsg gti so I knew what I was getting with the R but I wanted to try the RS since it was getting great reviews. Turns out the suspension will break your back and the interior is garbage base ford focus material. The only thing the RS has on the R is a heated steering wheel, sunroof, exhaust sound, and better AWD system. Not to mention the RDU and head gasket issues.

I would only move to a RS if i could pick one up for a steal or if I ended up totaling out my R.

I actually think the interior is nice in the Focus... especially for a Ford.

But I do acknowledge that the VW interior is a step above it. No doubt. (I just think the Focus gets a bad rap for a surprisingly nice interior quality.) :)

I too looked at a RS. Love them for a weekend toy but not for a daily. Ride was too harsh for a commuter IMO.

Eh, I don't have DCC on my '16 and really, the car's ride is still quite tolerable even on Vermont's dreadful frost-heaved "roads" that were probably good when people had horses pulling carts. So I wouldn't make that a deal-breaker, though I would definitely test drive the car to see for yourself.

Yeah... I mean, even without DCC, it must be leaps and bounds better than the RS. ...right?

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I actually think the interior is nice in the Focus... especially for a Ford.

But I do acknowledge that the VW interior is a step above it. No doubt. (I just think the Focus gets a bad rap for a surprisingly nice interior quality.) :)

Yeah... I mean, even without DCC, it must be leaps and bounds better than the RS. ...right?
I can only base it off my ddc R. The R is track mode still isnt as stiff as the RS in regular mode. Track mode I prefer to call back breaker mode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG
FWIW, I'm an old guy (got a Medicare card to prove it) and I have 35000 miles on my 16 R base, most of which were acquired driving in and around the pothole loaded streets of the Chicago area. I think the car is a great daily driver. As you are shopping for an R, remember to factor in some winter wheels and tires into your $$ equation, or at least some good all seasons, if the R that you find has the oem summer tires still in place. Good luck with your search.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
FWIW, I'm an old guy (got a Medicare card to prove it) and I have 35000 miles on my 16 R base, mos of which were acquired driving in and around the pothole loaded streets of the Chicago area. I think the car is a great daily driver. As you are shopping for an R, remember to factor in some winter wheels and tires into your $$ equation, or at least some good all seasons, if the R that you find has the oem summer tires still in place. Good luck with your search.
I'm running winters on my 19" prets. Potholes gunna be fun this year in Milwaukee

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Not that I don't want to do the research, but... any idea what years that's available on? Is it standard on 17, but an option on 15/16?

Is it absolutely necessary, or is it just nice to have?

The first batch of 500 R's in 2015 all came with the dual clutch DSG and DCC suspensions. Subsequent 15's could be ordered without DCC (though few came that way), but no manual transmission was available that year.

The two biggest differences between the 15's and 16's were the availability of a 6 speed manual as well as the MIB II infotainment interface. I believe it wasn't until 2017 that lane-assist and distance sensing cruise control were made available, though those may have been 2016 options as well.

The 2018 Mk7.5 models have the new 7 speed DSG, which not only has the advantage of 1 more gear, but is also stronger (that said, the 6 speed DSG has been pretty sturdy). They also have the all LED instrumentation pod/larger infotainment screen and a few minor exterior changes.

As per the necessity of having your car outfitted with the DCC suspension, I'd tell you to get it if you possibly can. The range between the settings is quite pronounced, with "Comfort" being actually quite comfortable, "Normal" being about what you'll feel driving a base GTI, and the "Race" setting being the closest to your RS, though still a bit more compliant. I switch my settings frequently depending on the road surfaces and type of driving I'm doing--it's one of my favorite features on the car.

I hope that helps.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
The 7 speed DSG in the 2018 R is rated for only slightly more torque. DQ250 -295 lb ft. - DQ381- 310 lb ft. Just as an FYI. I doubt it's more stout as the DQ250 in it's current iteration has been very stout.

These are just manufacturer numbers and so far the DSG has been performing beyond the arbitrary factory ratings. DQ 381 is what's in the 2018 R.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
The 7 speed DSG in the 2018 R is rated for only slightly more torque. DQ250 -295 lb ft. - DQ381- 310 lb ft. Just as an FYI. I doubt it's more stout as the DQ250 in it's current iteration has been very stout.

These are just manufacturer numbers and so far the DSG has been performing beyond the arbitrary factory ratings. DQ 381 is what's in the 2018 R.

Very true. Tons of people are pushing 400+TQ with just a DSG tune on the DQ250, no uprated clutchpacks. I doubt there'll be a measurable difference in torque holding capacity between the 250/381.

That extra gear is probably tight tho. I personally couldn't deal with any MORE than 7 gears, honestly. Just seems asinine. That said, I've never driven a car with the ZF 8er. Could be proven wrong.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I did read on the forums that the 7th gear isn't engaged until like 55 mph, so maybe it's a true overdrive type thing. I agree, 7 should be the normal limit, anything else is just silly unless it's a super/hyper car capable of very high speeds. It will be interesting to get some feedback from 2018 R (DSG) owners especially if they have driven the DQ250 to compare.

Bvstp

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not absolutely necessary but it seems everyone who got it is happy with it. If you can find one with it to test drive you should. Unfortunately it's not something you can visually detect from pics so you will have to ask the seller. It's been available from 2015 on.

DCC is definitely worth it. I do change mine based on mood and road conditions. In the northeast, they can be in bad shape and it’s nice to smooth out the ride when you’re not up for aggressive driving. The custom setting is great to blend the ones you like best for daily driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I wanted DCC on my GTi, but the Sport checked all the other boxes I wanted and during my 4-5 month search I didn't find any used '16 GTi's with that option which also had my other wants.

DCC from what I've read is worth it, except perhaps when it comes time to replace the shocks. Might be an expensive proposition, but then one should already know that going in with this kind of tech.

Off topic, but I see some complaints about P/P people having to service the Halidex LSD unit every 3 years. It's all part of the tech and I'm sure the same for DCC.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
When you come across great deals on low mileage cars, make sure that it was not used as a dealer demo or service loaner. Those might have taken a lot of beating and dealer might want to get rid of those cars by offering huge discounts.