GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grouping by artist/album (vs. album name only)?

Hotfart

Ready to race!
And OP, thank for pointing out the album view. The only thing is only a few album covers load.

Could it be your album art images are too large? 500x500 is what I usually go with. Just throwing that out there in case you haven't already looked into that.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
I also have all the albums by the same artist in one folder. It still plays all the albums in alphabetical order of the album name.

Do I create the playlist in iTunes or do I have to do it another way?

I too tried creating separate folders for separate artists, and it made no difference in album cover view. I think it might work when in folder view, but I never use that view. I don't use playlists either...sorry, can't help with that part.

tobys

Could it be your album art images are too large? 500x500 is what I usually go with. Just throwing that out there in case you haven't already looked into that.
Thanks Hotfart, I'll try this (and album view) soon.
Ps: you have great music, FNM and Alice in Chains!

FPP

Passed Driver's Ed
I also have all the albums by the same artist in one folder. It still plays all the albums in alphabetical order of the album name.

I do not have a playlist. The player just plays them in the order I have the files on the card. I copied the folders from Media Player. I do not know why it is working differently on your car :confused:. Perhaps it has to do with how iTunes creates its list.

geebob

Ready to race!

I don't think you've said what view you're in. I can view by album, artist, folder, genre and something else I think. Artist for me seemed redundant to folder view (my default) at first, then I realized that my tags were optimized for folder view, and there's a lot of loose stuff (like individual cuts that are tagged with a different artist tag from the rest of an album) that messes up artist view for me.

Even if I took the trouble to straighten the tags for artist, it would just be perfectly redundant to folder so I don't see the point.

Anyhow, if you're stuck in album view, of course it won't play anything but that (alphabetical by album name) so try artist or folder view like others have said.

Artist doesn't stick either, so you have to go back to it every time you want to change albums, it's just a way to one-time view your stuff as far as I can tell, but I'm not into all this like some are. I get to artist by slapping buttons until I see the musical note at the top, then touch that, then your source, and you have a library view available which for me includes the entries listed above.

My source is a SD card in SD1.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Hotfart, following up on above.. why is the "MP3" in the title field even necessary? It's obviously looking past that, since they're all the same, and sorting by the artist name that follows. So why not just do artist name - album title?

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Hotfart, following up on above.. why is the "MP3" in the title field even necessary? It's obviously looking past that, since they're all the same, and sorting by the artist name that follows. So why not just do artist name - album title?

That hadn't crossed my mind, but yeah, I guess populating the 'artist' field of the tag may not be necessary. Can't hurt to try it out with a few albums and see what happens. Shouldn't take much time.

I have a mix of old low bitrate MP3 (from way back when storage was at a premium) and newer FLAC, so I guess tagging them with the format helps satisfy my OCD, haha. I'm currently in the process of re-ripping everything to FLAC. Not that I could tell the difference between a good MP3 and FLAC, but again...OCD ;)

In any case, good idea. Once I'm done re-ripping everything to FLAC, I might give your idea a shot. If you try it out before I get around to it, I'd be curious to hear if it works out for you...

Hotfart

Ready to race!

Played around a bit with the tags tonight, and was reminded why either "MP3" or "FLAC" in the Artist field is needed. If it's blank, it shows up as "Unknown Artist" when scrolling through the album covers.

Attachments

• IMG_20170623_013528.jpg
    IMG_20170623_013528.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 154

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I have a mix of old low bitrate MP3 (from way back when storage was at a premium) and newer FLAC, so I guess tagging them with the format helps satisfy my OCD, haha. I'm currently in the process of re-ripping everything to FLAC. Not that I could tell the difference between a good MP3 and FLAC, but again...OCD ;)

Why not? Storage is dirt cheap, it's just the time investment that's a PITA. I want to do it someday too. I don't want to lose album art though. Curious to see if/how you retain it. With my one FLAC experiment, I wasn't able to figure out how to make it show up, though I didn't spend a lot of time on it.

It's so awesome having this tech in cars nowadays. I'm old enough that I go back to the days of buying my albums on vinyl, buying an expensive 90-minute TDK "metal" tape, then dubbing my albums "by hand" - but at least you could get TWO whole albums on ONE tape! They were about $8 back then, probably more like $25 in today's inflated dollars. And making mix tapes? Incredibly labor-intensive. Would take an entire day to make one long tape with about 25 songs on it.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
I don't want to lose album art though. Curious to see if/how you retain it. With my one FLAC experiment, I wasn't able to figure out how to make it show up, though I didn't spend a lot of time on it.

Just google image search for the album art in 500x500, and if it can't be found in that res, you can grab it in a larger size then re-size to 500x500. There were a couple albums from friends bands where I had to scan it in old timey style since the album art isn't online...but again, no big deal, just a little time consuming.

Most of my old MP3s had low-res crappy cover art, so it wasn't worth keeping. Basically I started from scratch, so I had to tag the new stuff anyways. As of last night I'm all done, phew.