GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

About to go APR Stage 2

jhileman79

Ready to race!
My downpipe just came in to my local shop. I ordered it in May and have been anxiously waiting for it to arrive. I have Stage 1 already and the APR intake with a CTS turbo inlet hose. For those who already made the jump from Stage 1 to Stage 2 what differences did you notice?
Thanks for the info!

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Not on an APR tune but I have noticed that there isn't a bump in horsepower so much but the torque difference is pretty noticeable between Stage 1 and 2.

If you look at APRs dyno plots you can see the difference.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
The tune itself has only minor power gains from stage 1 to 2, but the increase in how smooth it delivers the power was most noticeable to me. Most of the actual power gain comes from the downpipe releasing back-pressure.

wasablz

I would have to agree with Rj, Power difference wasn't the main highlight for stage 2. But power delivery was alot smoother and feels alot more satisfying.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
You'll realize the need for better tires more quickly lol

As they all said, it's the power delivery and smoothness.

jhileman79

Ready to race!
You'll realize the need for better tires more quickly lol

As they all said, it's the power delivery and smoothness.
What tires do you recommend?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
i believe stage 2 causes stronger redline instead of dying off at 5k RPM. This is my reason for going straight to stage 2, I haven't experienced stage 2 GTI's in my life, but I kept reading about stronger redline and wider/smoother power band mostly in mk6 forums at least.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
i believe stage 2 causes stronger redline instead of dying off at 5k RPM. This is my reason for going straight to stage 2, I haven't experienced stage 2 GTI's in my life, but I kept reading about stronger redline and wider/smoother power band mostly in mk6 forums at least.

Fairly accurate description. Increased exhaust flow with reduced back pressure will allow the power to continue up top over stage 1

Stage 1

Stage 2

The Messiah

Ready to race!
For me the biggest change has been that I can now actually use 6th gear (DSG). I have a relatively short commute and even on the highway at 70 mph I rarely felt 6th gear useable. Now accelerating at 65 mph in 6th gear I do not feel the need to down shift. I have used 6th gear more in the first day of driving the car post Stage II upgrade than in the entire 7 months before!

Last edited:

jhileman79

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info guys!

Mk7VW

Banned
Does a 3" exhaust help or is the 3" down pipe plenty?

jhileman79

Ready to race!
Stage 2 Complete! The car is so fast. Power is very smooth. The Downpipe gives enough growl but it isn't over powering!