GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 08-07-2016, 05:10 PM   #18
Jords

Drives: Golf GTI MK7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagadan View Post
Just got Sachs SRE kit installed using stock DMFW will post review after I've used it for a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome, I'm getting mines this Friday

Jords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #19
lucyfek

Drives: 16 GTI S 2 door 6MT, 02 zx3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsweatinme View Post
Go Southend and get a flywheel meant to handle all that torque as well.

I went through the stock clutch and flywheel and the HoD clutch and new OEM flywheel. The HoD clutch kit had zero launches on it. I put the stock parts back on because they would hold stock power and traded it in. The HoD clutch disk was totally worn down and the car wouldn't move.

Now I'm in a 2016 Nissan Maxima Platinum and I miss the speed, but love the luxury. Of course it's sitting on 20" wheels and summer tires already.

So you've fell for 20" high bling with CVT. So low, but at least not a CUV
lucyfek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #20
Gti jake

Drives: GTI 6MT
Replace the whole clutch including the flywheel and avoid SBC at all cost. They're over priced/over Tq rated junk not only for our cars but for the diesel truck market as well

If your stock dual mass doesn't look bad it can be reused, but personally I prefer SMF.

Make sure you buy a clutch that will handle future mods but also keep in my you can buy too much and slip because you don't make enough power. For instance don't put a full ceramic clutch in a stock turbo car

Baun Performance https://facebook.com/Baun-Performance-406768406417784/

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8...QYExsTq8fhQhmg
Gti jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #21
Goingnowherefast

Drives: 16 GTI S, 91 Miata
The Sachs SRE, HoD 6GT, RSR, and DIY RSR kits all hold more power than 99.9% of people will ever make. The issue that OP had one faulty kit/install is another matter. I don't see a point of people giving up good NVH for an overpriced SBC kit that makes your car sound like ass.

New to Golf MK7? We will show you the light. Start here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18297
Goingnowherefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:10 AM   #22
snobrdrdan

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Old 08-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #23
2015WhiteGTI

Drives: 2015 VW GTI
I have VERY little time on my new Sachs SRE clutch in my Mk7 (got the car back right before I went on vacation).

The clutch has a break-in period, so I'm still in that phase as I only have about 45 miles on it. The pedal effort is higher, but it's getting lighter already.
Yes, it is COMPLETELY silent with no chatter at all since it uses the original DMF. I did the CDV mod at the same time and it feels much better pulling out.

I did go with a Peloquin LSD and did the APR Stage 1 (it was on sale when I was getting the work done, so I figured why not).

I'm still on the all-season tires so I haven't had a chance to switch over to my Michelin PSS shod Volks yet. All I can say is wow! I'm still babying the car since the clutch is new, but I did a roll-on to get through traffic from 3,000 rpms in third and both front tires just spun. I can't wait to try a full hit with the stickier tires on.

So far so good. Very happy with everything, but WAY too early for a full report.
2015 GTI S, 6M, LP, IS38, APR DP, APR IC, Volk TE37SL 17x8.5, Michelin PSS 245/40, HPA SHS Coil-Overs, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE, Eurocode F/R Sway Bars, SuperPro Control Arms, Remus Catback, APR Tune, APR CAI/Tube, Aero Force Gauge Pod, APR Boost Gauge, Kersher Front Lip, Short Shifter, Tyrolsport Deadset, 034 Insert, A/S3 Aluminum Subframe, Stoptech BBK, Forge Turbo Blanket
2015WhiteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #24
Bigsnoop144

Drives: Mk7 gti
My clutch started slipping about a week ago, Im stage 2 ED HT. Have been tuned since 500 miles on the vehicle have about 8500 now. I plan on just swaping the clutch itself and not changing the Flywheel. I'll post pics of how mines looks hopefully its not bad
Bigsnoop144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #25
Ital

Drives: 2016 Golf GTI
I am looking forward to hear the reviews on the SRE.
I ended up getting the South Bend Stage III endurance rated at 580 lb of torque. You can search my post for review if you like. I cannot speak for all SB clutch kits, but I can vouch for the south bend stage III daily and endurance and there is none to very little chatter. There are a lot of SB haters on this board, I am sure for good reason but don't take everything they say for granted. Anyway as I stated in the past, anyone local is welcome to come by and check out my car and clutch if they like and can make a more educated decision.

Good luck!!!
Old 08-08-2016, 10:40 PM   #26
Jords

Apart from the clutches, how's everyone's turbo holding? Need to check my revision sometime, even though the new ones are failing..

Old 08-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #27
Yagadan

Drives: 2015 Skoda Octavia RS - 162TSI 6MT
Clutch Upgrade After Slipping Stage 1 APR 6MT

Hi all

So I'll give a review here on the Sachs SRE clutch. Sorry for longish post.

Backstory: I have a 2015 Octavia RS. I'm in Australia. For those who don't know it's essentially a wagon version of the GTI. Same 2L TSI engine and drivetrain.

I bought the car new. Installed a JB1 @ about 2000kms. Ran Map1 for about 2000kms then switched to a less aggressive Map6 setting to try preserve clutch life.

Fast forward to 13000kms on the clock and I feel the clutch slip when accelerating @ about 3000rpm in 4th gear. DAMN. Here I was thinking Map6 would have saved my clutch a bit longer than that? Nope. Stock clutch sucks balls.

Shit happens. As soon as I felt that initial slip I switched to Map0 straight away and started investigation clutch options.

I did extensive research and decided I wanted to retain the stock DMFW. It's a $50000 car and I didn't want a rarely single mass ruining the smooth ride. I've had an STI and EVO in the past, both with single masses and I didn't want to go down that path again.

Seems the good options are Haus of Dub 6GT, RSR tuning and the Sachs SRE clutch. Haus of Dub is the only one I found with a reported failure, however that could simply be bad luck.
I ended up with the Sachs for a few reasons. Firstly it's the same manufacturer as the stock clutch but simply from their racing division. Secondly I found a supplier who was great to deal with.

So I ordered the clutch from AwesomeGTI in the UK. It cost me $1010 AUD to get to my door (~$780 USD for you guys reference). It arrived in under a week which was very impressive and was packaged well. AwesomeGTI was very prompt answering my email enquiries. It also included a new throwout bearing.

As I had switched to map0 I was hoping and praying my stock DMFW would be fine. Car came apart, flywheel looked as new with no hot spots (yay) and in the new clutch went.

So. I've now done about 600kms on the clutch. Initial 50-100kms the clutch felt probably 3-4 times heavier (stock clutch is like a pillow tho so still wasn't bad). I almost managed to stall it a few times. I took it easy for the first 200kms just letting everything settle and not thrashing it.

Once I hit ~200kms the pedal had smoothed out to a great feel. And now at 600kms it's maybe 50% heavier than stock, and in my opinion is how the stock clutch should feel in the first place. I like it.

Put map6 back on at about 400kms and now driving the car as normal. Everything feels great. Pedal feel is excellent and holds power great.

I may go stage 2 down the track once warranty is over but will just stick with JB1 for now.

It's very early days but so far I'm very happy with the purchase. Will update more in the future.

Last edited by Yagadan; 08-11-2016 at 04:11 AM.
Yagadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #28
Ital

Drives: 2016 Golf GTI
Yagada, please create separate thread on the SRS review please. It would be awesome to be able to find it in one place and ask for updates Thanks!
Old 08-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #29
Jords

So it's been about a week since I've had my clutch replaced with the Sachs Performance Organic clutch and I'm absolutely loving it! Garage had a DMFW on standby in case I needed a new one but it wasn't needed as mine was in good condition

After installation I wasn't told of any 'breaking in' period. Initially (as everyone has mentioned) the clutch is much heavier and takes a wee bit more effort and finding the bite was a bit confusing as the clutch pedal would spring back up much faster. In a way, I felt like I could shift faster with this clutch somehow.

I tried taking it slowly, shifting carefully for the first 20 miles but couldn't resist giving it the full beans on the same night...wow, man does this car haul ass now, sayonara clutch slip and I'm rewarded with a big fat grin on my face when the peak power kicks in around 3,000rpm! This car just keeps pulling to the redline effortlessly.

After around 200 miles the clutch has noticeably lightened up and almost on par with stock. Feels like 20% heavier but also stronger which adds reassurance it can definitely handle that 500Nm of porque.

Even had a cheeky rolling race against a 435d and m135i

The only worry now is whether this turbo (revision G) will survive or blow on me..

Old 08-21-2016, 08:29 PM   #30
erikweber321

I should probably finally deliver on the videos for SBC stage 2 daily. I've gotta say that it makes some noise, but engagement is sharper and I prefer it. Dmfw without any mods is so vague in this car that this was a big welcome change. Plus, I insisted on having a highly skilled mechanic do the swap to ensure I was golden. I went to speed sport auto in Danbury CT. They handle huge volumes of track cars and rich people toys, and I trust them much more than any dealer. They funny enough insisted that the only clutch aftermarket which they will touch is the South bend series. I asked why and they said they were the most reliable in their experience(which is the main thing I'm paying for), and they honor their warranties the best God forbid. Anyway, sbc2d has been magical for me so far.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
erikweber321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, sachs, slipping, stage 1