GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8T Bilstein B8 or Koni Yellow

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
There's a North American Pro-Kit (progressive) and a European Pro-Kit(linear), you didn't specify.
Well damn it, ordered mine from Poland based on the part number floating around forums so hopefully it's linear.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I just upgraded my suspension at 51500 miles with Koni Yellow's and VWR springs. My first choice were the B8's but as Kevin noted, they are on backorder due to Bilstein shutting down production so they can build a new production facility. Kind of stupid if you ask me but oh well. I am happy with the Koni's.

I'm getting Koni's installed next week. What can you say about the ride quality? How is it on rougher roads?

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I'm getting Koni's installed next week. What can you say about the ride quality? How is it on rougher roads?

The ride quality is great! Such a difference from stock but that's expected. I adjusted mine to a little stiffer ride than what they come out from the factory. The car handles great and on bumps and crappy roads, it's not an issue.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
The ride quality is great! Such a difference from stock but that's expected. I adjusted mine to a little stiffer ride than what they come out from the factory. The car handles great and on bumps and crappy roads, it's not an issue.

Thanks, bud!
I live in SoCal, and the roads are here utter crap (the only roads that are worse are in Manhattan and South Carolina), so a smooth ride would be much appreciated.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
The thing about Koni's is that they should be shock dyno'd before install. The valving and damping is not consistent on them.

hallu

Passed Driver's Ed
Do Belstein B8's reuse the rubber spring seat at the base of the strut?

If you use something stiffer than OEM, you need to upgrade. 034 makes street density mounts for front and rear which can acccomodate more sportier suspension setups. If you don’t switch them for something better, the stock mounts will squeak and wear out

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
If you use something stiffer than OEM, you need to upgrade. 034 makes street density mounts for front and rear which can acccomodate more sportier suspension setups. If you don’t switch them for something better, the stock mounts will squeak and wear out
I'm not talking about strut mount. I'm asking about rubber spring seat at the base of the strut.

Plus I somewhat disagree with your statement above. There are numerous posts where members complain about 034 mounts producing all the extra creaks and squeaks. OEM are totally fine to use with lowering springs. I didn't have any issue doing so.

Drader

Passed Driver's Ed
"Any reason most prefer the B8s over koni yellows?"

Bilsteins are a monotube design, and Konis are the more common twintubes. Monotubes use a much larger piston, and much higher gas pressure. They tend to add a bit to your spring rating and stay more consistent. I also think Bilstein valving is top shelf German feel.