GOLFMKV

Rock Chip into Cracked Windshield

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I seriously question $370 out the door.

In what way?

if you're questioning what I paid, here's a pic of the electronic receipt. $368.59 to be exact.

If you're questioning that I got quality Saint-Gobain / Sekurit glass made in Poland (which has yet to chip or pit by the way), here' is again the link to the 3 page thread about the windshield replacement I had done that you commented in multiple times. The receipt is dated the same day I made the thread.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40989&highlight=windshield+replaced&page=2

Adam, honestly, I'm not sure why you feel the need to constantly question everyone. If you're trying to pick fights with people because you have nothing better to do, or if it's just that you come across snide in your posts and don't mean to, but you do nearly every time.

adam1991

Banned
Adam, honestly, I'm not sure why you feel the need to constantly question everyone.

I don't. Don't be touchy.

But $370 OTD for ANY modern windshield is, frankly, very very difficult to believe under ANY circumstances. Don't you agree? Labor alone nowadays takes a huge chunk of that.

Look at it this way: if someone comes here to say "I got a brand new R for $25k OTD!", would you just leave it be and say "congrats" or would you question that in some way or another?

And to be picky, your receipt there could be for anything, frankly. It doesn't say what it's for. For all we know, it's just the labor and you supplied the part.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
And to be picky, your receipt there could be for anything, frankly. It doesn't say what it's for. For all we know, it's just the labor and you supplied the part.
I doubt it's all part of a long con to convince everyone that The Book has the best glass shopping skills on the internet.

adam1991

Banned
I doubt it's all part of a long con to convince everyone that The Book has the best glass shopping skills on the internet.

I doubt it as well. But when some random person comes onto a forum and makes a claim like that, he shouldn't be offended when people question the claim.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

Really? Thats laughable since you just went ahead and questioned the evidence I provided and disregarded the thread matching all of what I said.

Shopping around is how you get the product you want at the price you want, but I seems like you can't begin to fathom that anyone here is smart enough to do that and get a great deal.

Since you're somehow not satisfied here's some more in the form of the responses from the installer when I shopped around via Yelp. But my guess is you'll just turn around and say, "we don't see your vin, or what you agreed to for $365+tax".

Oh, and I'm not being touchy, I'm showing how full of shit you are by providing facts when you decide to try to say that I'm not being honest about what I paid for the service and product. Big difference buddy.

adam1991

Banned
Your accusation was, "feel the need to constantly question everyone". My response was, "I don't."

And indeed I don't. But I did question you. Are you "everyone"? And was I questioning "everyone" (you) "constantly" (on this one item)?

YOU are not "everyone". My questioning your windshield is not "constantly questioning everyone".

Full of yourself, aren't you.

You can say what you want, but $370 installed for a windshield is question worthy, don't you think?

Or are you simply offended at being questioned--even though you found an outrageous deal the equivalent of a new Golf R OTD for $25K?

I guess you can take offense at whatever you like. How dare I, indeed!

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Your accusation was, "feel the need to constantly question everyone". My response was, "I don't."

And indeed I don't. But I did question you. Are you "everyone"? And was I questioning "everyone" (you) "constantly" (on this one item)?

YOU are not "everyone". My questioning your windshield is not "constantly questioning everyone".

Full of yourself, aren't you.

You can say what you want, but $370 installed for a windshield is question worthy, don't you think?

Or are you simply offended at being questioned--even though you found an outrageous deal the equivalent of a new Golf R OTD for $25K?

I guess you can take offense at whatever you like. How dare I, indeed!

You truly have nothing better to do, do you? Mental gymnastic after mental gymnastic sometimes.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Lol! Don't say you weren't warned!
I'm sorry this happened to a new car, but it's to be expected with Safelite. Why did they install the glass knowing it was wrong? How are they going to rectify this issue? Also make sure they prime all the pinch welds.....they usually don't and it leads to major rust.

They ordered a new windshield and offered to swap it out for no extra charge. I am not happy to have my car under the proverbial knife again but at least they are doing it right by me. They could've just said "it's OEM glass, rain sensor works, gtfo" but they did not.. The installation itself was pretty flawless, just wish the tech would've caught the different shape around the rain sensor first.

cb1111

I'm going to get on my soapbox about windshield replacements one more time.

Step 1 - check your insurance policy. Glass claims fall under comprehensive. Make sure that you have a low comprehensive deductible. My $100 deductible under comp costs me $26 a year more than a $1000 deductible. Low deductibles on the comp side are cheap, but expensive on the collision side. I have $100 comp/1000 collision. Comp covers glass, wildlife damage, fire and theft - essentially anything beyond your control.

Step 2 - have the windshield replaced by the dealer. That way, you won't be caught in finger pointing between the glass place and the dealership when things go wrong. While the dealer will farm out the repair work to a glass shop, if they are writing the WO, then they have the responsibility to make sure that the repair is done right.

Ask me how I know...

razr390

Go Kart Champion
tis all well, Safelite is replacing for free