GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Subwoofer Issue

GTInj

Hi Everybody,

Having an issue with my helix in my 2018 gti se. I've had the helix in two prior gti's and am very familiar with the performance. This is my first experience with the "b version" of the helix.

I've confirmed via two dealership visits that the wiring and programming are correct however, the output is about 35-50% of what it should be. The sub is extremely quiet in the mix and i cannot figure out what the heck the problem is. I have also messed with the setting on the poweramp and that did not do much other than give it a very slight increase in volume.

First off, has anybody experienced issues with the "b version?" Also, does the "b version" require a different SD card when programming with the dongle? Audiotec Fischer (manufacturer in Germany, and completely useless) says that there is no difference.

Before i file a warranty report and ask for a new sub and poweramp to be sent out i'd like to see if anybody has any ideas.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:

himynameisruss

did you use the dongle to program to a different setting, then back to the correct setting? from what i understand, even though the stock programming shows the proper value (57, i believe?), it needs to be switched and then switched back to properly program.

i just installed the b version on my 2018 GTI SE and this thing gets plenty loud.

Torontogolf18

Hi installed the subwoofer on my Golf Comfortline 2018 and I have the same issue. I found a dealership that had the dongle in Montreal but I think they didn't installed it properly.

http://www.volkswagen-accessories.c...n.download_attachment.file/setups_2017_en.pdf

I thought maybe the issue was that they didn't download the proper update and that maybe the right code was 97 because new 2.0 golf7 would have been 2018 models but ??

97 NEU/NEW - 2.0 Golf7

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Just putting this idea out there-- not sure if this can be it, but is there a VCDS/OBDeleven coding adaptation for the infotainment module (5F) that toggles between speaker level (high) voltage and line-level (low) voltage output on the speaker wires? The reasoning being, if this same infotainment unit is used with the OEM Fender setup, it might come pre-programmed for low-level output to the Fender amp. If the output got switched to low level, that could explain the lack of gain if the amp is setup to detect high level voltage. I dunno... just a thought.

Edit: I personally installed the Helix on my 2017 non-Fender MIB-II and it works great.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Would you know how to check and switch the output to High level ?

I just looked at my adaptation map for 5F and don't see anything. I see something for "Amplifier.xxx" inactivate/active, probably referring to the Fender amp. Mine is set to inactive.

It was a long shot....

Torontogolf18

I looked into the Volkswagen Manual. It does say to Reduced the Output Power on Volkswagen 2018.

How do I do that? kind find anything online

hallu

Passed Driver's Ed
FWIW, I just got a car with the Helix subwoofer installed in the spare well.

When listening to the radio, the sub is almost nonexistent. When listening to music on the aux send, it sounds fine.

My main concern with audio, which is somewhat related to yours, is that it does not sound like a crossover is happening. I haven't disconnected the sub to be sure, it sounds like sub frequencies are still being sent to the main speakers, and it causes them to blow out/rattle when turned up past a certain volume. It is not a "loud" point where this happens, either.

Does the OEM stereo panel have an option for a crossover? Or does that need to be aftermarket? It kills the purpose of offering subwoofer installations if they can't ensure sub frequencies aren't damaging the main speakers :(

eddieliu76

Passed Driver's Ed

there's also a tiny hole next to the status light, you can adjust that for stronger bass, maybe give that a turn. its pretty easy to turn so no need to turn too hard, dont want to break that.

I found this info out somewhere, can't remember, but it did make the bass stronger for me.

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
My main concern with audio, which is somewhat related to yours, is that it does not sound like a crossover is happening. I haven't disconnected the sub to be sure, it sounds like sub frequencies are still being sent to the main speakers, and it causes them to blow out/rattle when turned up past a certain volume. It is not a "loud" point where this happens, either.

Does the OEM stereo panel have an option for a crossover? Or does that need to be aftermarket? It kills the purpose of offering subwoofer installations if they can't ensure sub frequencies aren't damaging the main speakers :(

Your issue based on your description almost assuredly is that you need to get it coded. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=497192&postcount=3

GTInj

Apologies for the delay, i was on a business trip.

Yes i did have them program to 60 and then to 57 afterwards. The sub is very low, it's driving me nuts. Especially after having the sub in two previous cars. Completely out of ideas

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Probably already covered but check your stereo EQ. After getting my Helix installed I found the bass was down about four notches. Probably something I did day one because the speakers would break up at higher volumes.

I now have an aftermarket sub using the sub out from the helix so I get much better bass but I still feel the helix could be crossed over higher for the door speakers. The volume ceiling is much higher with the Helix but it can still overdrive the door speakers on mid-bass heavy songs in my opinion. By that I mean cause the door panels to rattle making them sound unpleasant, I'm not sure they are clipping/causing any damage though.

Also, as you have noticed, source plays a bigger role with the Helix installed. I find that I can't listen to the radio at all. Haven't tried aux but Bluetooth sounds okay, Android Auto/CarPlay sounds pretty good, and CDs sound even better to my ears. At some point I'll load up some high quality audio to an SD card and try that but I'm content with the "high quality" downloads/streaming from Play Music on Android Auto.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Maybe you got a dud. I would see if your original non-B Helix unit works, just switch the amplifiers and see how it goes.

GTInj

Thanks for the advice. Old helix is in my last GTI. Going through the warranty process now with the dealership which is a pain. Think i got a dud