GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need Help Fitting Wheels

SpaceMissile

Tl;dr: What options - if any - do I have to make these rims fit?

Hello all,

I ordered a set of used VMR V710 rims (wheels!) from Facebook. After getting them, I realized that the offset is pretty aggressive for the mk7. I may have messed up.

The wheels are 19x8.5 ET35 - PCD 5x112. I have attached pictures of how they fit on the car. Obviously these don't help too much since the wheel hub is hanging, but it's still sticking out way more than I was expecting.

My issue is the cost I've already sunk into the set. I got the four used for $300 since that was a pretty good deal. I spent $300 repairing the bends in three and will need to spend $280 replacing the fourth altogether. Then I will need tires.

However, I need to decide whether I can wear these or not. If it's not going to work, I'd rather cut my losses now and try to sell these off. I don't necessarily want to camber the wheels, but I'm not afraid to roll out the fenders if that would help. What do you all think I can/should do?

Note: I've got VWR lowering springs on the car.

Attachments

• 20181016_185348.jpg
    20181016_185348.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 273
  • 20181016_185335.jpg
    20181016_185335.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 257
  • 20181016_185321.jpg
    20181016_185321.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 259

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
How deep are the boltholes maybe you can machine them down to ET40-43? Ask the shop who repaired the wheels.

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
It is aggressive, but the wheels will naturally camber in when suspension is compressed. The difference between rubbing and not rubbing might be 225 vs 235 tires. I think you could probably make 235 work with the fender screw mod. I'd search through the aggressive wheel thread to see similar fitments.

I would not machine any of the mounting surface off to raise the offset. If it came to that, I'd sell them and move on.

s.savino

Been running that exact set up now for 2 years only rubs on big bumps! I’m actually going air and hoping it will tuck with some camber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
It is aggressive, but the wheels will naturally camber in when suspension is compressed. The difference between rubbing and not rubbing might be 225 vs 235 tires. I think you could probably make 235 work with the fender screw mod. I'd search through the aggressive wheel thread to see similar fitments.

I would not machine any of the mounting surface off to raise the offset. If it came to that, I'd sell them and move on.

x2 on all of this

JSUN1

Passed Driver's Ed
How deep are the boltholes maybe you can machine them down to ET40-43? Ask the shop who repaired the wheels.

That's NOT advisable most all alloy wheels have a standard thickness at the bolt holes I just measured 2 different wheels right around 8.5mm (at the bolt hole), you need that meat in that area of the wheel, shaving off 5mm wouldn't leave much of a hold for the bolts.

You're the second person I've seen post about shaving the mounting surface to change the offset. Maybe it can be done I don't know but it doesn't seem like a very safe thing to do