GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Key FOB Replacement?

yakuza70

Passed Driver's Ed
Did something stupid yesterday - didn't check my jean pockets for my key FOB before I washed them. It didn't go through the dryer. I immediately took out the battery and am going to do attempt to dry it in rice.

If it's not successful, does anyone know how much it's going to cost to replace it (2018 GTI Autobahn)? So thankful I have another FOB or I'd have no car to drive!

bionicfemur

Honestly, I think it’ll be fine once it dries out (I’d replace the battery too). A friend of mine washed his the day after he got his car this year. Rice in a baggy for a couple days, then new battery and it still works like new.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
i got my 2017 Kessy for $130....however there is a 1/2 programing fee too. I got them to waive the fee (really only takes 5-10 minutes) since I bought 2 keys. Big advocate of hiding key under car...I've lost keys before. With Kessy you need to remove battery for this to work reasonably.

Mud

130 was the shop around price.....

edit: hopefully the dry out will work...I've read putting it in a bowl/bag with dry rice can help but that was the internet so.......

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
for the record, it's not a fob. With Kessy, it's the actual key. (That metal thing inside of it can only open the driver's door, and nothing else.)

Without Kessy, it's the remote transmitter.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I was quote $300 when I thought I lost mine. Unless someone at the dealer knows you personally you need to take the car to the dealer. A service advisor verifies you and orders it or them for you. When they come in from the VW depot you bring the car and any other key you have and they program them all together to work on the car. Takes a couple of days so always replace a missing key immediately.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I bet it still works after it dries out.

Good thing you didn't send it through the dryer, batteries don't like the heat.

If you can find silica desiccant packets (like the ones that come with a pair of boots/shoes) they work -much- better than rice for drawing moisture out of something. Just make sure you dispose of them properly afterwards since they're toxic if eaten.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Forget the rice, that’s a myth. Dunk the fob in rubbing alcohol for a minute and then allow to air dry, preferably in front of a fan or near a heat source. Rice will inhibit drying. Trust me, I work in a lab.

How's that work, does the alcohol displace the water then dry quickly? And I'm curious, is alcohol conductive?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
+1 on curious. I'm thinking it displaces water and evaps quickly

How's that work, does the alcohol displace the water then dry quickly? And I'm curious, is alcohol conductive?

The dry quickly part is the key. It doesn't displace the water, it dissolves in it, and then its very rapid evaporation rate dries things out faster. It IS conductive, like water, so it can damage circuitry just like water can, but the idea is that a short dunk to mix with any of the water that has gotten in, followed by drying, will leave less time for the water alone to do damage.

The alcohol you buy in stores is typically 70% with 30% water content (this is rubbing alcohol) but you can sometimes find 90%. The higher %, the better.

H2O_Doc

Ready to race!
The dry quickly part is the key. It doesn't displace the water, it dissolves in it, and then its very rapid evaporation rate dries things out faster. It IS conductive, like water, so it can damage circuitry just like water can, but the idea is that a short dunk to mix with any of the water that has gotten in, followed by drying, will leave less time for the water alone to do damage.

I don’t think pure water is a conductor, nor alcohol (is it)?