GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI S or Civic Type R?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Civic Type R hands down, you will always be able to buy a GTI. Like the now out-of-production Focus RS, the CTR could be the car you should have tried out.
good point. I'm still not convinced it would be my choice but it may well be a once in a lifetime car.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Civic Type R hands down, you will always be able to buy a GTI. Like the now out-of-production Focus RS, the CTR could be the car you should have tried out.
The rs is out of production because they keep blowing up. It had nothing to do with a limited production run.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Asking if they should buy a Honda on a VW forum? Why??!!

Besides the obvious, a stock R with DSG will eat it for lunch.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Asking if they should buy a Honda on a VW forum? Why??!!

Besides the obvious, a stock R with DSG will eat it for lunch.

He’s cross shopping a GTI, not an R due to the $7k premium. Plus, considering the CTR is MT only, the apples-to-apples comparison wouldn’t be the DSG car.

I think it would end up a drivers race in the stoplight Grand Prix between the MTs.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Oh weird, I'd never really cross shop between the 2 but I have a Type R now replacing my 16 GTI so I can have some input on this, and you can probably have similar experience making the move...

GTI is an overall better car, full stop. Now thats not the whole story and depends on your priorities that may not be what you value...

From DD aspect, GTI has pretty much superior everything in terms of what you want a DD to do. Its not boring, easy to live with, practical, gets better mileage, generally more comfortable, much better equipped, lower running cost, better built.

Type R is a more interesting car, in good and bad aspects. It looks bonkers, the seats are fantastic, rides surprisingly well and livable for something as stiff as it is. Has a ton of space to carry things and people. The bads are plenty though. No heated seats and mirrors, infotainment is garbage, all the wings, body kits, fake grilles...etc makes for a hard car to maintain look wise. 20" wheels are dumb(I DD mine on 18s). GIANT wheels means a lot of space are taken up by wheels and tires when you are carrying stuff for trackdays/autoX. I think interior packaging isn't as well done as VW even for a bigger car. And it is a bigger car, for good and bad. Mileage for me on DD duty is low-mid 20s mix condition driving. GTI gets high 20s to low 30s. Tires are expensive for this car also.

Now it drives FANTASTIC for a stock car. Its neutral, can put 300 horses down for a FF car, suspension tuning is spot on. I bought it specifically to get a faster and practical car to change up a bit for autocrossing, so I am consciously picking those priorities over the GTI. Whether you want to do the same its your call. If you can get a Type R at the MSRP its a fantastic deal for a fantastic car.

bcgti

Ready to race!
Oh weird, I'd never really cross shop between the 2 but I have a Type R now replacing my 16 GTI so I can have some input on this, and you can probably have similar experience making the move...

GTI is an overall better car, full stop. Now thats not the whole story and depends on your priorities that may not be what you value...

From DD aspect, GTI has pretty much superior everything in terms of what you want a DD to do. Its not boring, easy to live with, practical, gets better mileage, generally more comfortable, much better equipped, lower running cost, better built.

Type R is a more interesting car, in good and bad aspects. It looks bonkers, the seats are fantastic, rides surprisingly well and livable for something as stiff as it is. Has a ton of space to carry things and people. The bads are plenty though. No heated seats and mirrors, infotainment is garbage, all the wings, body kits, fake grilles...etc makes for a hard car to maintain look wise. 20" wheels are dumb(I DD mine on 18s). GIANT wheels means a lot of space are taken up by wheels and tires when you are carrying stuff for trackdays/autoX. I think interior packaging isn't as well done as VW even for a bigger car. And it is a bigger car, for good and bad. Mileage for me on DD duty is low-mid 20s mix condition driving. GTI gets high 20s to low 30s. Tires are expensive for this car also.

Now it drives FANTASTIC for a stock car. Its neutral, can put 300 horses down for a FF car, suspension tuning is spot on. I bought it specifically to get a faster and practical car to change up a bit for autocrossing, so I am consciously picking those priorities over the GTI. Whether you want to do the same its your call. If you can get a Type R at the MSRP its a fantastic deal for a fantastic car.

That’s one of the most non-biased reviews I’ve read from someone who switched to a new car! I’d be seriously looking if they had an auto version.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
That’s one of the most non-biased reviews I’ve read from someone who switched to a new car! I’d be seriously looking if they had an auto version.

Haha, I had 3 very good years with my MK7 GTI. I've asked a lot out of it and and it delivered a lot for me. 25k miles a year and basicallly beat on every weekend(1st weekend I drove 600 miles to put miles on the car so on 2nd weekend I owned it I took it autocrossing 200 miles away) in the summer months and drove through 3 Michigan winters. The car rarely skipped a bit and it still feels tight and together when I sold it to a friend who will keep on doing the same thing. I have had 0 complaint about that car. I am just looking for something different and Type R is definitely that. It has so far won me over as far as how it drives and it can do the rest ok so I think I am fine with it. But it'll take a lot to match what GTI did overall for me...

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I started to shop for a type R and got offered a red one at MSRP and a white one for $1300 over. So I decided to wait for the 2019's since I'm going to pay full price. They should be here by the end of Dec.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I started to shop for a type R and got offered a red one at MSRP and a white one for $1300 over. So I decided to wait for the 2019's since I'm going to pay full price. They should be here by the end of Dec.

CTR forum has pretty good info on dealers who ask MSRP. Most CA dealers are included in the naughty list (its a pretty interesting thread to look at).

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
CTR forum has pretty good info on dealers who ask MSRP. Most CA dealers are included in the naughty list (its a pretty interesting thread to look at).

This. I actually don't think its hard to find MSRP cars, just need to be willing to do the legwork and have no preference on timing or color.