GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires?

FPP

Passed Driver's Ed
The better tires need to go on the rear for safety reasons.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
I went with the PIRELLI P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS
Mostly because of the low road noise from the reviews.
I would have gotten the Micheline otherwise but I do a lot of highway driving so less noise is better for me :) these came in at around 600 installed with alignment and all... there was a $70 rebate and $50 off if I used town fair credit card
Oh and they price match the lowest price found which was Walmart at the time ;)

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Where is the best deal on these currently?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I’m not sure if it is safe to do, but the Bridgestone potenzas on my car don’t have so much life left in them, after a summer of “spirited driving” and couple drag strip days. No burnouts. But the rear ones are perfect only 6800 miles. Could I swap out just the front for Michelin? Same size.
Replace all 4 with like tires or replaced the two bad ones with the same you already have on the car.

Do NOT run different sets of tires in the front then you would in the rear. You will run into squirrelly handling situations if you have to make a emergency maneuver on the highway or if you drive sprinted through a back road. Either oversteer or understeer...

Here's a great example of what I'm talking about in snow conditions...
https://youtu.be/o7pc-XqqZHw

Fast forward to 2:33
Yes this is a exaggerated example due to snow conditions. But come rainy conditions you may have similar handling. In the dry you may still under or over steer.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Just stay home when it snows... problem solved :)
If you need to drive in the snow, definitely invest in a separate set of wheel\ties
Except the same can happen in the rain or even in the dry (if you fully read my post)

It's NEVER recommend to use different tires front and rear.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Except the same can happen in the rain or even in the dry (if you fully read my post)

It's NEVER recommend to use different tires front and rear.

I agree, however if your front tires are worn a bit more then your rear, I do not see a problem with rotating the tires to even out the wear. Unless the difference is drastic.

BTW that was a good video, thanks for sharing!

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I agree, however if your front tires are worn a bit more then your rear, I do not see a problem with rotating the tires to even out the wear. Unless the difference is drastic.

BTW that was a good video, thanks for sharing!
I agree with you on that.

My response was to Beamer2Clean's question on buying just two Michelins and putting them on the front of his car then leaving the stock Bridgestone tires on the back of his car. There is a massive difference in traction between the two of them.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Looking at these tire as well and curious what size tire to use on 18x8.5 rims... 235 or 245 ?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Looking at these tire as well and curious what size tire to use on 18x8.5 rims... 235 or 245 ?

I’d go 235. The 225s fit quite wide on my 7.5” wide rims.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+3%2B+(W-+or+Y-Speed+Rated)&partnum=24YR8PSAS3PLXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

You should fit the tire to be 0.5" narrower than your wheel, for optimum handling performance. This pre-loads the sidewall and gives you better agility.

Too wide a tire will compromise steering feel and handling.

The 225/40-18 is a perfect fit for 18x8.5, as the reported Tread Width is 8.1".
This is ideal fitment, and will look perfect from the sides.

Match TireRack's tread width spec to be ~0,5" narrower than your wheel, if possible.