GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How the VW Golf GTI Performance Pack (PP) “Front Differential Lock” (VAQ) works.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
After being ask to do this I have finally got all my information together on the Borg Warner FXD unit as fitted to the GTI "PP".

As I did not know which forum section to put this in I posted it in the "Technical" section for the GTI & this linky in the general GTI/Golf section...

How the VW Golf GTI Performance Pack (PP) “Front Differential Lock” (VAQ) works.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39096

Its a bit technical...:cool:

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
Thanks Dave. Great article and thanks for taking the time to write it all up. I wonder why US markets say oil is lifetime whereas Euro's are 3yrs regardless of mileage.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks Dave. Great article and thanks for taking the time to write it all up. I wonder why US markets say oil is lifetime whereas Euro's are 3yrs regardless of mileage.

Thanks...

I think that's a mix up from the engineering to the printers & sale/marketing depts.....

The ERWIN stuff & the self study guides in Europe are older than US as we got it (MK7) first....

But I know of people in UK & Europe who have had the same blank stares or "its in the gearbox & uses the same gearbox oil" etc. etc....from the dealers..

Basically the front service staff will never know the tech stuff, & sometimes the techs don't read all the VAG info, & the IT guys sometimes don't update the IT systems to tell the tech & service staff that "X" car now needs front diff lock service....

Basically SNAFU....;)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
So what was the reason VW didn't put at least one on the R? I don't know if Subaru still uses them, but they used to have viscous LSD's at least on the rear, at least before the electronics.

Ghawkins

Ready to race!

My Maintenance Manual (2015) calls for an oil change after 3 years, time dependent not miles, as you say regarding the Euro cars as well. Mine will need to be changed in April.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So what was the reason VW didn't put at least one on the R? I don't know if Subaru still uses them, but they used to have viscous LSD's at least on the rear, at least before the electronics.

Not enough room in front as taken up by the propshaft to the rear coming out of gearbox...

Plus I think getting the electronics correctly balanced with two units it a bit much considering how "hyperactive" the FDL unit is...

Mind you remove the existing open diff in the gearbox & fit a Wavetrack....:D

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
Good point on subaru. Nor did the focus rs I believe that's all wheel drive only, albeit a new type of awd.

Civic si comes with a mech lock and one thing I notice is the turn radius increase. Mx5 club has a diff lock too, no turn radius issue there.

Just different applications methinks. I prefer vw anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk