Tough guy or waver?

• Tough Guy

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Waver

Votes: 220 78.9%

• Total voters

ACE2

Ready to race!
There's only like 2 people that own a gti in my town and ones a younger guy like me..we always see each other and talk and do a few pulls out in the country where there's no speed limit. They other is an older lady and she waves at me every time! I love seeing her she looks so excited driving hers around and seeing another gti lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Love that you made this thread! Was about to post about this exact topic.

So I am quite surprised by the lack of GTI comradery on the road. I haven't had a single wave returned by a fellow GTI driver. I don't even bother with regular golfs or other VWs, most drivers look like they could care less about the cars around them let alone mine. I even had a GTI parked next to me as I was heading out of the lot. Not even a nod of acknowledgement from the driver.

My brother in his WRX gets a wave by EVERY SINGLE WRX on the road, regardless of model year. I mean, we're talking visible enthusiastic waves/thumbs up, sometimes even beeps, which he returns. I think its so cool and never gets old.

So, what gives VW people? Are just too many non-car people buying these things as DDs? I expect this from the audi crowd but not from GTI peeps...
Been wanting to make this for some time, finally remembered while at my desk today haha.

My bro says the same thing man, Subi/WRX owners make us look bad in the comradery department. I agree, it never gets old getting a response from another owner, as simple as it might be. I just assume if someone bought a GTI they did it becasue they really wanted one, like me. Not just because they could.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I'm a waver, always. Usually just flash the "Peace" symbol, sometimes tap my horn. Always worth it for the times I get back a toothy grin, wave or horn. I think sometimes the reason GTI/R drivers don't respond is they are pre-occupied with thoughts, like, where their next turn is, getting someplace on time, how much they hate their boss, what's for lunch or dinner, or a zillion other things, so by the time your wave registers, your both 2 blocks past each other.

Of course, there is always the Tough Guy syndrome, that prevents the expressing of ANY emotion, whatsoever, at ANY time, except anger and violence...and THAT's one sad-ass disease to have.
I can understand being distracted or lost in a thought. I have Forza/Gran Turismo vision and I visibly see apexes, it can be very distracting. So I understand that point of view.

Sometimes I might miss some waves and the other person thinks I'm a tough guy? Lol.

gameaud

Ready to race!
Had a guy in a focus st wave at me when he went past me when I was at a stop. Coming from a beater car I was confuse and did not wave back. Now I feel bad lol

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
There's only like 2 people that own a gti in my town and ones a younger guy like me..we always see each other and talk and do a few pulls out in the country where there's no speed limit. They other is an older lady and she waves at me every time! I love seeing her she looks so excited driving hers around and seeing another gti lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
She is staying young!

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
I can understand being distracted or lost in a thought. I have Forza/Gran Turismo vision and I visibly see apexes, it can be very distracting. So I understand that point of view.

Sometimes I might miss some waves and the other person thinks I'm a tough guy? Lol.

:eek: true, when your in "race mode", you do miss other things. Guess we all do that- moody humans, easy to get the wrong impression from the other person. Misunderstandings are the bane of humanity- have caused wars, with thousands or millions killed...so, VW owners must try to signal each other, or risk extinction!! :eek:

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
:eek: true, when your in "race mode", you do miss other things. Guess we all do that- moody humans, easy to get the wrong impression from the other person. Misunderstandings are the bane of humanity- have caused wars, with thousands or millions killed...so, VW owners must try to signal each other, or risk extinction!! :eek:
This is the material I was hoping this thread would spawn. Lol.

You couldn't be more correct, misunderstandings can be dangerous, fatal even. But, I think the worse case scenario here is I add your license plate number to my "tough guy" list and try to remember not to wave. But, I usually don't remember and they get a deuces again. I am met with disappointment again.

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
Interesting. I didn't know VW drivers would wave. I traded a MINI and we used to wave all the time, though the last few years lots of new drivers stopped. My wife has a Jeep and they all wave. I haven't seen anyone wave at me yet but maybe I'll start.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
To Sherifftruman, yes. Not doing the Jeep wave can get you hurt - lol.

I give the wave/two finger lift to every GTI that's modded. There's just too many non-enthusiasts out there to acknowledge every one with a GTI, but if they are clearly modded, chances are really high/near guaranteed they are an enthusiast of some kind.

This is truth. I was at the car wash in my 4Runner (yes, I put it through car washes, but not my GTI) a few weeks back. A Mk6 GTI was behind me, Jersey plates. We both got out of our cars to throw some trash in the barrel. I told the guy I had recently bought a Mk7 GTI and loved it. You'd have thought I was asking the guy to buy a magazine subscription. He couldn't get away fast enough. Not a car person I guess.

I've noticed that GTI drivers are pretty offish as a group. However, my "Oh Snap" license plate usually gets some attention from them if they approach me from behind. It also appears to be Honda bait. Also Camry with loud CBE bait - true story!

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
When I was in the air-cooled VW scene with my Ghia, my brethren were deep. Always, waving, beeping, chats at stop lights, etc.

With the GTI, I'm not feeling the love. It seems like the vast majority of MK7 GTIs I see in the Bay Area are treated in a strictly practical and utilitarian way. Most drivers tend to be on the "matured" end of the age spectrum. People out here don't seem to be into modding them. It's rare to even see any with tinted windows. So to me that gives the impression that these GTI owners don't care about what car you drive or even what car they are driving themselves. That being said, I've seen a fair share of modded MK5's and MK6's but I've never seen a modded MK7 on the road.

It's a shame. Because I'm definitely a nodder and a honker.

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
I usually dont initiate a wave but if someone else does, I'd have no issue waving back. Had a mk6 for three years and now mk7 for a few months and I've maybe received two waves in all that time. I just didn't think it was a GTI thing, if anything i thought there was just the Wrangler wave and thats it. Being in a heavily populated area I see GTIs every day and no one waves haha.. just this morning three of us were in a row driving together for the commute. I like to think that we tend to drive together though.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I'd certainly wave back, but I wouldn't initiate.
I have given a "nice car" and point when it was obvious that I and another GTI driver were looking at each others cars.
But yeah, I'm surprised at the near complete lack of camaraderie of other GTI drivers.