GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New BFI stage 2 clutch kit installed. Everything good except 1st and reverse.

SolSteven

Hey guys!
So I installed my new BFI stage 2 clutch on my Mk7 GTI. Getting into gear and mostly everything feels great, the lightweight flywheel feels tons different and the clutch grabs hard! But there is one problem that's been making me nervous almost every other day ever since i got this clutch installed. When i start from First gear i feel this shuttering and shaking from the clutch whenever i engage the clutch. It took me a while to get use to it but i can start comfortably from 1st gear now without the shuttering and shaking bothering me. But the BIIIIIIIG problem is that whenever i go into reverse and try to engage the clutch and add a bit of gas to it the whole entire car shutters and shakes like no other! I told myself i would let the break-in period go through its course but after 400 miles closer to break-in there's still a horrible shutter that comes from it. and i know that a SMFW setup brings more chatter and bring a bit of shutter but i didnt expect THIS type of shutter. It feels like I'm damaging the car. I was wondering is it just me that should get used to it and its a normal thing because this is my first aftermarket clutch i've owned? or is it a bad install on the clutch and everything isnt aligned well or loosely installed? I tried researching as much as i could on this problem and came up with nothing. Please help :confused::confused::confused:

erikweber321

Ready to race!
I have a full circle clutch disc and smfw flywheel and I never experience this shudder unless I'm truly fucking up a shift and not gassing it enough. Smfw requires higher rpm to engage smoothly due to the mechanical difference

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mojaito

Passed Driver's Ed
Any updates on your clutch, sounds inside cabin etc.. I'm looking to get a new clutch I'm in between bfi and southbend

Looks like you revived an old thread had me confused for a second lol. While I can't speak on how good BFI and Southbend clutches are I can tell you that what the OP described was Most Likely due to the lightweight flywheel instead of the clutch. But of course there's no way to know for sure. I'm sure someone will chime in about the clutches soon.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Sometimes during general break in of clutches you will feel some shuttering, also this magnified by the lack of a dual mass flywheel. Usually after a few hundred miles the shuttering will subside as the clutch material breaks in. Ive seen and felt this in many clutch installs in all types of vehicles and is more prone for performance clutches

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I have had some shudder that is slowly going away with an SRE clutch and DMF. I am at 2k miles, with 80% of that highway, so realistically it is still not fully broken in.

erikweber321

Ready to race!
I have a full circle clutch disc and smfw flywheel and I never experience this shudder unless I'm truly fucking up a shift and not gassing it enough. Smfw requires higher rpm to engage smoothly due to the mechanical difference

Me again. You need to ride the smfw to avoid the shudder, it's a mechanical characteristic of smfws. Will not change or break in. Race car ;)

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Looks like you're SOLSteven.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

You may be able to help the shuddering with a dogbone mount insert and also a fluidampr. Some say this has helped a LITTLE, others don't think they notice a difference. I am having my clutch installed soon and have the fluidampr ready to along with the 034 dogbone