GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Yea that's all true. But I'm just saying your going for base GTI power with all lower parts (intercooler,downpipe, transmission, drivetrain, exhaust). What's stopping you from working towards selling your golf and getting a gti?

That's kind of where I left it at. When I started to add it all up, It seems more economical to get the gti.

This argument always breaks down.

Rant warning!

Modify your GTI with exhaust, intercooler, tune, etc. Why not just get an R? Your Gti will never be an R. Its more economical to start with an R right? But then the Mustang guys will question why you have a $45000 "economy car." Just start with a Mustang.

Now modify your mustang! But wait, why not just trade up to the next level mustang? Your base mustang will never be a Boss Mustang. But then, it's never going to be a Corvett, so why not just save time and get the Corvett?

Now buy some hot parts for your Vett! Oh man, here we go again. I should have just bought the Z06. But then again, it will never be a Ferrari. I'm just going to ride a bicycle till I can afford the highest level Ferrari that I don't have to make any modifications too. But it will never be a true race car, so...Shit. Maybe Al Gore is right. Cars are stupid. I'm getting an electric scooter.

My TSI was $7000 less expensive than the next cheapest GTI. No small change. Plus, I hated the look of the rims and grill on the GTI. I would have at least changed the rims. I have less than $1000 into modifications and it has 250HP to the wheels. That's some good cheap speed. Everyone who drives it smiles. People with V8 cars. Its more satisfying to drive in everyday situations than an R. Is it as fast at the track? When do I go to the track?

Its not a GTI, that is not an R that is not a Mustang, that is not a Vett that is not a Ferrari that will never be a race car.

But I like it. It's the fastest car that I wanted to afford for less than 20k. I've driven stock and stage 1 mk7 gti and a stock R. I like my car better. The GTI guy likes my car too. Would a like a mod GTI or R? Yes. But I like $ too and only have so much to go around.

I have a 2016 Polaris 800 snowmobile. That was a great use for that extra $7000. I Modify that too!

Also. Some people have the Sport Wagon or the AlItrak. They come with the 1.8 only.

If a car responds to modifications and you want to modify it. Do it.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
The intercooler is also the same. To add to it, I have a sportwagen. That's why I didn't get a gti. I do want it to be a little quicker though. Inferior parts to the gti does not mean they are inferior parts either. The 1.8 and its transmission can easily handle the power of an IS20 upgrade. I want a gti wagon. They don't make one. I can make my own though. That's why I am posing these questions. A used IS20 can be had for under $400 in good condition. Maybe less if it's from a friend. I don't want loud, I don't want to really mess with a downpipe and have to run O2 spacers etc. I like to keep it stock sounding and appearing. So.....would it make more sense to do the IS20 over a downpipe if they are basically the same price?

1.8wolfie

Passed Driver's Ed
The intercooler is also the same. To add to it, I have a sportwagen. That's why I didn't get a gti. I do want it to be a little quicker though. Inferior parts to the gti does not mean they are inferior parts either. The 1.8 and its transmission can easily handle the power of an IS20 upgrade. I want a gti wagon. They don't make one. I can make my own though. That's why I am posing these questions. A used IS20 can be had for under $400 in good condition. Maybe less if it's from a friend. I don't want loud, I don't want to really mess with a downpipe and have to run O2 spacers etc. I like to keep it stock sounding and appearing. So.....would it make more sense to do the IS20 over a downpipe if they are basically the same price?

Well damn. The way people were making it sound, the golf had nothing in common with the gti. But if the intercooler and downpipe are the same, I feel a lot more at ease. I couldn't understand how they differed so much from what people said.
I agree that the cast drivetrain and the auto transmission are fine for what you want to achieve. I wanted to achieve the same but got scoffed by other people making it sound like I should just get the GTI.

The is20 would probably be your best bet then if it's an easy swap. I still think you should upgrade the intercooler at least down the road though. Oh and exhaust might not be an idea also, because the pipes are smaller then the gti.

Last edited:

1.8wolfie

Passed Driver's Ed
This argument always breaks down.

Rant warning!

Modify your GTI with exhaust, intercooler, tune, etc. Why not just get an R? Your Gti will never be an R. Its more economical to start with an R right? But then the Mustang guys will question why you have a $45000 "economy car." Just start with a Mustang.

Now modify your mustang! But wait, why not just trade up to the next level mustang? Your base mustang will never be a Boss Mustang. But then, it's never going to be a Corvett, so why not just save time and get the Corvett?

Now buy some hot parts for your Vett! Oh man, here we go again. I should have just bought the Z06. But then again, it will never be a Ferrari. I'm just going to ride a bicycle till I can afford the highest level Ferrari that I don't have to make any modifications too. But it will never be a true race car, so...Shit. Maybe Al Gore is right. Cars are stupid. I'm getting an electric scooter.

My TSI was $7000 less expensive than the next cheapest GTI. No small change. Plus, I hated the look of the rims and grill on the GTI. I would have at least changed the rims. I have less than $1000 into modifications and it has 250HP to the wheels. That's some good cheap speed. Everyone who drives it smiles. People with V8 cars. Its more satisfying to drive in everyday situations than an R. Is it as fast at the track? When do I go to the track?

Its not a GTI, that is not an R that is not a Mustang, that is not a Vett that is not a Ferrari that will never be a race car.

But I like it. It's the fastest car that I wanted to afford for less than 20k. I've driven stock and stage 1 mk7 gti and a stock R. I like my car better. The GTI guy likes my car too. Would a like a mod GTI or R? Yes. But I like $ too and only have so much to go around.

I have a 2016 Polaris 800 snowmobile. That was a great use for that extra $7000. I Modify that too!

Also. Some people have the Sport Wagon or the AlItrak. They come with the 1.8 only.

If a car responds to modifications and you want to modify it. Do it.

Lol, I liked your rant. I agree wholeheartly. I've been through a couple different car groups (pontiac firebirds, trucks, bmw, mercedes). They all have the same thing going on like your saying.

I was just going on the sense that if you were looking for gti power, and going to spend the same amount to get there as you saved, then it's not worth it. But If you can keep it still under GTI price, and your happy with the results, then more power to you.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
The shocks and struts are also good enough on the stock car that VW even allows the use of VWR lowering springs without shock/strut upgrade.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Lol, I liked your rant. I agree wholeheartly. I've been through a couple different car groups (pontiac firebirds, trucks, bmw, mercedes). They all have the same thing going on like your saying.

I was just going on the sense that if you were looking for gti power, and going to spend the same amount to get there as you saved, then it's not worth it. But If you can keep it still under GTI price, and your happy with the results, then more power to you.

Just the JB4 or stage 1 will put you at stock gti level. So it doesn't take too much

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
As much as I like the GTI, the GSW has more versatility. Perfect sleeper for modding, basically the same bones as the GTI. Has a nicer ride for some of us.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Slick99

Ready to race!
Just the JB4 or stage 1 will put you at stock gti level. So it doesn't take too much

Whats the stock Gti timing to reach 0-124mph (200kph)? I m doing around 22-23sec to reach 200kph on my jb1 map1 (4.2psi) A3 1.8T and i think m still slower than stock gti.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Whats the stock Gti timing to reach 0-124mph (200kph)? I m doing around 22-23sec to reach 200kph on my jb1 map1 (4.2psi) A3 1.8T and i think m still slower than stock gti.

Based on APR that is in line with their stage 1 car, if not quicker. They say 23.6 for 0-125 mph. They say that car will hit 0-100mph in 13.4 vs the stock gti at 14.9. So yes you are then quicker than a gti and you are only adding 4.2. Someone in the colder climate can add 5.3 no problem and even more on the JB4

Slick99

Ready to race!
Based on APR that is in line with their stage 1 car, if not quicker. They say 23.6 for 0-125 mph. They say that car will hit 0-100mph in 13.4 vs the stock gti at 14.9. So yes you are then quicker than a gti and you are only adding 4.2. Someone in the colder climate can add 5.3 no problem and even more on the JB4
I want to increase the boost but here i get 95 RON (89-90 octane) which is not supporting but i hope once i get jb4 i can increase to 4.4-4.6psi

Sent from my HTC 10

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I want to increase the boost but here i get 95 RON (89-90 octane) which is not supporting but i hope once i get jb4 i can increase to 4.4-4.6psi

Sent from my HTC 10

Have you logged at all to see what your actual peak boost is? I'm curious to see what it is in the hot weather. I'm at freezing and near freezing temperatures right now. The ecu will only give out about 8psi stock. If yours is requesting more, you may be hitting more than someone at 5.3 in a colder climate

Slick99

Ready to race!
Have you logged at all to see what your actual peak boost is? I'm curious to see what it is in the hot weather. I'm at freezing and near freezing temperatures right now. The ecu will only give out about 8psi stock. If yours is requesting more, you may be hitting more than someone at 5.3 in a colder climate
My last logged was 6 months back in July wen i was dyno'ing my car, it was showing 10-11psi on map 0 and 14-15psi on map 1 4.0psi and temperature was around 37c

Sent from my HTC 10

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
My last logged was 6 months back in July wen i was dyno'ing my car, it was showing 10-11psi on map 0 and 14-15psi on map 1 4.0psi and temperature was around 37c

Sent from my HTC 10

The computer definitely reacts to the temperatures. I couldn't get more than 11psi on map 1 or map 6 set to 5.6. I'm now doing the target on the JB4 and hitting up to 15.8. Pulled it back a little bit because of the timing. 15.2 now and it looks good and pulls strong. The downpipe is a tempting next mod

whitewagen

Passed Driver's Ed
The computer definitely reacts to the temperatures. I couldn't get more than 11psi on map 1 or map 6 set to 5.6. I'm now doing the target on the JB4 and hitting up to 15.8. Pulled it back a little bit because of the timing. 15.2 now and it looks good and pulls strong. The downpipe is a tempting next mod

Would you mind posting your Map 6 settings?

Slick99

Ready to race!

I was pulling timing when i set map 6 set to 4.4 also my car got heat soaked, downpipe is real power will give another 10-15whp.

Sent from my HTC 10