GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Launch Control and DSG abuse

Is launch control bad for your DSG?

• If it's in the owners manual, it should be used daily.

Votes: 49 20.8%
  • Only on rare occasions like driving the mother-in-law to church

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • Once every couple months or less.

Votes: 63 26.7%
  • Never, don't even try it

Votes: 27 11.4%
  • What is Launch Control?

Votes: 19 8.1%

• Total voters

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
I use launch control, it's set at 4k on my car. I get about half a rotation of the front wheels till the rears kick in. Then I leave whoever was beside me at the lights.

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
Haha launch control at a street light would be hilarious... easy ticket

I think feds got the idea. Launch control doesn't mean drag launch mode. You can technically use a range of rpms for some degree of benefit. Or road conditions.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Haha launch control at a street light would be hilarious... easy ticket

I think feds got the idea. Launch control doesn't mean drag launch mode. You can technically use a range of rpms for some degree of benefit. Or road conditions.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I launch from street lights at least once a night in the summer here. There's a lot of Mexico going on for a small Canadian city. Launch control specifically refers to being able to floor the accelerator and the car holding the preprogrammed launch RPM and not redlining. If you don't apply full throttle you are certainly launching, but you aren't technically using launch control.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Also if you have a factory catback, and good tires that don't spin (referring to an R here) you could launch a few cars ahead of a cop and he would probably never know unless you exceeded the speed limit and he caught you that way.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
This probably belongs in the dumb question thread but what is the difference between launch control on a DSG and simply holding your left foot on the brake in a standard auto and taking off from whatever rpm you chose? perhaps something more practical that won't result in as much tire spin.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
This probably belongs in the dumb question thread but what is the difference between launch control on a DSG and simply holding your left foot on the brake in a standard auto and taking off from whatever rpm you chose? perhaps something more practical that won't result in as much tire spin.

A traditional auto gearbox has a torque converter, the DSG has a DMF like a manual gearbox. So launching is completely different... to a certain extent. With the traditional auto, you can brake boost, while with the DSG you use launch control or with a manual you slip or dump the clutch.

I probably didn't explain it well, or even at all. Sorry. I feel like what I want to say is just floating out of reach... it's frustrating.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
A traditional auto gearbox has a torque converter, the DSG has a DMF like a manual gearbox. So launching is completely different... to a certain extent. With the traditional auto, you can brake boost, while with the DSG you use launch control or with a manual you slip or dump the clutch.

I probably didn't explain it well, or even at all. Sorry. I feel like what I want to say is just floating out of reach... it's frustrating.

I think that makes sense. In a traditional auto you would run the risk of damaging the torque converter if you do it too often I assume. I'm not sure how much it would feel different though if both cars had equal power.

RoyB2

Ready to race!
I think that makes sense. In a traditional auto you would run the risk of damaging the torque converter if you do it too often I assume. I'm not sure how much it would feel different though if both cars had equal power.

Regular auto uses fluid and torque converter to take up the slack so to speak. It's always in gear when stopped and foot on the brake.

The DSG is a manual but automated. When at a stop, it is not in drive if your foot is on the brake. Same as a manual car, it is in Neutral or the car would die if the clutch was engaged and you were in gear.

Launch control on DSG basically drops the clutch at whatever rpm it's set for. When your foot is on the brake, it is always in neutral though. That's why you always get a bit of hesitation when letting off the brake on a dsg.

Not sure how regular autos and launch controls work on these newer cars.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
I launch from street lights at least once a night in the summer here. There's a lot of Mexico going on for a small Canadian city. Launch control specifically refers to being able to floor the accelerator and the car holding the preprogrammed launch RPM and not redlining. If you don't apply full throttle you are certainly launching, but you aren't technically using launch control.

The GTI S with a manual will not let you rev higher than 4k RPM at a standstill, does that mean it has launch control?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36