GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New 2017 GTI Autobahn

Hollow Grind

A semi-local dealer has a remaining 2017 Autobahn and offered a $7,500 discount. This late in the game for a 2017 still on the lot, should I expect a better deal?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
A semi-local dealer has a remaining 2017 Autobahn and offered a $7,500 discount. This late in the game for a 2017 still on the lot, should I expect a better deal?

Nope. VW is about to end incentive support for remaining 2017 models, I believe by the end of this month. When that happens, $4500 of that discount (the dealer cash) is gone, and they'll receive a final-pay for all remaining 2017 vehicles on their lot. I believe the final pay amount is less than the current dealer cash, which means they lose money if they keep it past the end of the month.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Five, according to cars.com.

I'm wondering if similar discounting will be available towards the end of the year on 2018s, black paint is the one color I'd really rather not have.

Dealer might have updated that when the vehicle came into their inventory. Make sure it wasnt used as a dealer vehicle and racked up miles.

If you are not too specific about your options, you might find some deals when 2019s come in.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
A few weeks ago, I tried to buy a 2017 SE at the dealership that services my car. I told them if they do the full $7,300 off MSRP and also swing the 0% for 72, I'll buy it right now. They said no - only discounts with standard rates. Guess they weren't that motivated.

Oh well, I didn't like the color anyways.

EDIT: Car is still there. I'm going to take a another shot.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
A few weeks ago, I tried to buy a 2017 SE at the dealership that services my car. I told them if they do the full $7,300 off MSRP and also swing the 0% for 72, I'll buy it right now. They said no - only discounts with standard rates. Guess they weren't that motivated.

Why look into 2017s when you can buy 2018s with at least $4k discount and people's warranty. Also its not the color you want.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

The bulk of that $7300 discount is the $4500 dealer cash incentive that VW gives the dealer for selling the car at std VCI rates or 3rd party financing, and cannot be combined with VCI 0% special financing. That's why they said no, it has nothing to do with motivation. If you want the maximum cash discount, your best bet is to arrange your own financing, and shop around for the best rates. It's usually going to be through your local credit union, but I've seen some lenders offering competitive rates on lendingtree.com as well.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
The bulk of that $7300 discount is the $4500 dealer cash incentive that VW gives the dealer for selling the car at std VCI rates or 3rd party financing, and cannot be combined with VCI 0% special financing. That's why they said no, it has nothing to do with motivation. If you want the maximum cash discount, your best bet is to arrange your own financing, and shop around for the best rates. It's usually going to be through your local credit union, but I've seen some lenders offering competitive rates on lendingtree.com as well.

Only one way to find out. I also have a $500 offer code from attending a VW event that's good for any new MY15-18 and expires 7/31. If they take my offer, awesome. If they don't, I'll wait for 0% 60/72 on a 2018.

Floor plan stops and they being losing money on that car starting on starting Friday.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Only one way to find out. I also have a $500 offer code from attending a VW event that's good for any new MY15-18 and expires 7/31. If they take my offer, awesome. If they don't, I'll wait for 0% 60/72 on a 2018.

Floor plan stops and they being losing money on that car starting on starting Friday.

I can almost guarantee you that you will not get both 0% and the $7300 cash discount, because I've seen the documents from VW. $7300 off MSRP is way below invoice, and unless you're purchasing the vehicle as part of a partner program, the dealer has no hope of making a profit on the car. Sure, they could sell it at a tremendous loss, but that's doubtful, since in all likelihood they could just sell it to themselves at invoice and have one more sale count towards their yearly volume bonus. More likely, they'll find one of their own employees to sell it to, because it'll be a sweet deal for them when employee pricing is factored in, and employee program sales include an automatic reimbursement for the dealer.

EDIT: Just confirmed, $4500 dealer cash and all other VW/VCI programs on 2017 models end on 5/31/18. After Thursday, no more cash, no more special lease, no more 0% financing. Dealers with remaining MY17 inventory will receive $3600 final payout on 6/1/18.

Last edited:

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I can almost guarantee you that you will not get both 0% and the $7300 cash discount, because I've seen the documents from VW.

Dealer emailed me today and said they will honor $7,300 off MSRP and 0% for 72mos until EOD 5/31. I also have a VW event code for another $500 off.

After 6/1, this car becomes more difficult to sell due to less dealer cash and no special financing in order to move it. I've also serviced my 2010 GTI there since new, so they'll make up some money on my service business.

I'll let you know if they keep their word.

Last edited:

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Dealer emailed me today and said they will honor $7,300 off MSRP and 0% for 72mos until EOD 5/31. I also have a VW event code for another $500 off.

After 6/1, this car becomes more difficult to sell due to less dealer cash and no special financing in order to move it. I've also serviced my 2010 GTI there since new, so they'll make up some money on my service business.

I'll let you know if they keep their word.

All incentives have been extended to 6/4. On 6/5, their GTI will be final-paid for $3600 instead of $4500. If they give you both the $7300 and 0%, I'll be amazed; either they somehow got VCI to approve the deal with 2 incentives that never combine, or they're going to kick in $3000 out of their own end (forgot that you still get $1500 on the APR Bonus). It's almost certainly a losing deal for them, but once they lose the special financing and special lease programs, that car will be next to impossible to sell. Probably they've already done the math and know that they'll cover their losses.

Hope it works out!

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Thanks for the info!

I sold cars for a number of years, so I'm well aware the numbers aren't real until it's over the curb. Only things making me hesitate is the color and 2018's will be moving out soon.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Only things making me hesitate is the color and 2018's will be moving out soon.

If I had it all to do over again, I might have waited for the 2018s to arrive instead of buying mine at the end of October 2017, and got double the warranty and all the Mk7.5 enhancements. On the other hand, I really wanted a Sport, and equipping an SE in the same way would have bumped the payments up quite a bit. That, and I wanted to sell my old car before the depreciation caught up, and waiting a year for the dealer cash to start flowing wasn't going to help that.