GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New R owner throttle response

Supercup

Passed Driver's Ed
There is a discussion here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9007849-2018-Transmission-Issue
Turbo lag has got nothing to do with this issue. Completely different thing.
I find it happens when you are needing to downshift 3+ gears at once. The TCU doesn't anticipate that kind of shift "at times" and you'll get that 1100ms shift. I say at times because it does occasionally work but not often. You're better off manually downshifting in those cases. Check the wiki on this Transmission. Will help better understand why it does this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-shift_gearbox

Agree with this assessment - transmission program is not anticipating changing condition and does not read your mind and is slow to respond. I find with my 18 R DSG that I need to manually shift down if I want to go quick, not just stomp on the gas, as if I do, I get the delay noted by the OP in mine as well. It is something you can "drive" around, once you know what to expect. Should it be that way, probably not - but this is only a $40k car so there have to be some gives!

todd92

Passed Driver's Ed
To think there were people eager to 'upgrade' to a Mk 7.5 just for the extra gear in the transmission.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The additional gear is just another overdrive. If you want better response while you driving, try Sport mode on DSG's. It keeps the transmission in at least one lower gear most of the time.

HeliDriver

Passed Driver's Ed
7 Spd has a lower first gear ratio as well favouring a better launch. Personally, I find my 7.5 launches are a little more spirited than my mk 7. I have seen numbers comparing the two floating around but never did any actual tests myself.

Last edited:

wildstar87

Passed Driver's Ed
I find that the 7 speed sport mode is much more usable than the 6 speed. The 6 speed hung onto gears waaaayyy to long, I mean if you are WOT doesn't really make a difference, it's gonna shift at redline. 7 speed seemed to shift when I wanted it to in sport mode.

rc pete

Passed Driver's Ed
Correct its not turbo lag, 18R DSG here 438 miles. Put my foot into it for the first time today. In S mode TC off, at aprox 40MPH you can go all the way to just before the downshift button on the accelerator its fine.

Go all the way and it interrupts the power till it downshifts. I figured it was just a power cut till it made the gear change. I will continue to test it different ways and report back. It is quite abrupt.

Love the 7th gear though cruise on 73 MPH 34 MPG is the best so far.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Correct its not turbo lag, 18R DSG here 438 miles. Put my foot into it for the first time today. In S mode TC off, at aprox 40MPH you can go all the way to just before the downshift button on the accelerator its fine.

Go all the way and it interrupts the power till it downshifts. I figured it was just a power cut till it made the gear change.
Which is apparently the reason why I have not experienced this issue yet as I'm still not pressing the pedal all the way to the floor due to the manual's suggested 1000 mile break-in period.

I've noted in another thread I've pressed the pedal pretty far but not all the way, been quite happy with the acceleration it provided and that I have not noticed any delay at all yet. So the trick is to not go all the way to the floor unless you know you're in the right gear for it to downshift where it needs to go rather than have the car spend time "thinking".

willymcd

I just got an 18 manual R and I have to say the car feels anemic with how bad the throttle is. Granted I have less than 300 miles on the car, so I guess there is still time for the computer to do its sorcery. And to further my dismay I'm visiting my family who has my old 05 mini cooper s, which has a 15% pulley and intake on it. I was floored at how much more responsive that car is than my new R, going through tight twisities, when I want to start accelerating, the car immediately starts accelerating with angry authority. While in the R when I'm going through a corner and step on the gas around the apex, it isn't till i'm already through the turn does it start moving, which is not nearly as much fun:( I'm really hoping a pedal box will liven up this car, a sports car throttle should jump with authority when pressed. In fact, my old 2007 a3 with the 220hp 2.0t felt way more responsive than this car. I feel like everyone is so caught up in the 0-60 BS that everyone reviewing this car overlooked the enjoyment of having a sensitive throttle for cornering and general point a to b enjoyment. I also really don't think that this is turbo lag, though maybe the go fast bits diverter valve will help?

todd92

Passed Driver's Ed
Downshift. No mods needed. Need to keep the revs up on corner exit to keep boost at the ready. This isn't a peak torque at 1500 RPM motor.

willymcd

Downshift. No mods needed. Need to keep the revs up on corner exit to keep boost at the ready. This isn't a peak torque at 1500 RPM motor.

I think, duh, is the appropriate response! It is at peak torque at 1900 rpm. Car is pretty slow on the draw even at higher rpms.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I think, duh, is the appropriate response! It is at peak torque at 1900 rpm. Car is pretty slow on the draw even at higher rpms.

I'm sorry but the peak torque of 1900 rpm does not apply when driving this car. Driving through some nice curvy back roads you need to be above 3k...for me the car comes alive then. I think it's the turbo lagging, but a pedal box or getting tuned could help.

That Mini had a 1.6 liter with a supercharger...I'm sure it would feel quicker on the response early in the rpms.

Maybe the car does wake up after break in. I have heard some say that about the RS3. I babied my car for the first 1k I wouldn't know.

doktarra

I just got into an 18 R. My first VW in a few years. I feel the initial lag that you all are mentioning above. Hopefully, with more miles and break in the car shall be better. Still, for a little cheap transpo box this car seems pretty solid and fun. Thanks for the forum, all.

gcmak

Coming from a 2016 A3 2.0T, I found the lag time for the 6sp DCT to kick down from 6 to 3 to be quite fast when flooring it around 60mph. The R, definitely has this longer period of not much happening - except maybe RPMs increase slightly - then gear engages and it's a pretty aggressive hookup and pull. I find it more enjoyable, to either use the paddles or to just gas it to the point of the kick down portion.

Anyways, glad I wasn't the only experiencing this.

And for anyone who has done launch control in the R...it's definitely most violent in Race mode with ESC OFF. There's a bit of lag from the moment you let go of the gas but it hooks up with a bang and the shifts are pretty hard too.