GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many of you have damaged a rim?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Maybe my favourite stock rim in terms of looks! I wish the R had an option to downsize to 18s... I would sacrifice a bit of performance for ride/durability. VW even makes 18” Pretorias now. I can’t sell the stock rims either as I plan to lease the car.

18" Pretorias does not look as good as the 19". This comes from the person who owned both of them.

You can always install the 18" and sell them once you turn in the vehicle at the end of your lease. Only hassle would be storing those 19" over the lease term.

AUDI JUICE

Ready to race!
I have bent a few wheels while driving. Most recent was a 19" Cadiz going over a railroad track at normal speeds. I think part of the surrounding asphalt was warped upwards and caused the problem.

FYI... While the outside of the Spielberg's looks stronger, I would suspect that the inside barrel is just as susceptible to bending. All mine bent on the inside.

DJSad

Bought my '18 Golf R late on a Wednesday night. The following Friday morning I hit an old repaired pot hole that had re-opened up taking the same exit I take every morning before work. Popped the right front. I paid for the wheel and tire plan. Glad I did. Contemplating getting 18s.

CharlieTango

Passed Driver's Ed
I bent a 19 cadiz on a pothole a few months ago when the roads were just thawing. It was dark and i couldnt see it. To be fair, i think it would have bent an 18" too. As you can see in the picture, it was a deep enough hole to chew up a decent portion of the lip. Got it straightened and cosmetically repaired for about $125

trbochrg1

Passed Driver's Ed
I bent a 19 cadiz on a pothole a few months ago when the roads were just thawing. It was dark and i couldnt see it. To be fair, i think it would have bent an 18" too. As you can see in the picture, it was a deep enough hole to chew up a decent portion of the lip. Got it straightened and cosmetically repaired for about $125

Curious, did you also replace the tire after getting the wheel fixed? I bent a pretoria on a pot hole and the tire seems ok (no bubble in sidewall). Instead of buying 4 new tires i was just going to get the wheel fixed. However, since i drive ~400 miles every other weekend (three hours each way) from MA to NH i was afraid of using a tire for a long trip that might be comprimised.

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
Hit a piece of steel road debris. Split the sidewall from tread to rim and put a US dime size ding in the rim. $150 for a shop to repair the rim. The shop had a deal where, if you could find the repair, it was free. That was 2 years ago so I consider it $150 well spent.

MDLBC

Ready to race!
Curious, did you also replace the tire after getting the wheel fixed? I bent a pretoria on a pot hole and the tire seems ok (no bubble in sidewall). Instead of buying 4 new tires i was just going to get the wheel fixed. However, since i drive ~400 miles every other weekend (three hours each way) from MA to NH i was afraid of using a tire for a long trip that might be comprimised.

Assuming the tire is off the wheel, just check the inside lip of the tire where it meets the rim and look for damage. If you see none, it should be fine.

NSchultz7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 Turbo Blue S4
The MI roads have not been nice to my Pretorias. Had to replace one bent and one cracked wheel. I've had the car for 16 months and I use Austins for my winter set. I've bent at least 1 Austin as well. Maybe another. Have to have them checked..:mad:

CharlieTango

Passed Driver's Ed

No i didn't replace the tire, surprisingly enough a bubble never formed and the tire is still fine ~5k miles later

cooljoe

Passed Driver's Ed
The 19" Cadiz wheels bend super easily. I hit a pothole and had a bend on the inside of the wheel, it was so bad, that the tire shop wouldn't rotate those tires to the front as it would cause massive vibration. Cost $150 to get the dealer to straighten them out.

copperbricks

Ready to race!
I run 18s and have never damaged a wheel (aside from the GF curb rashing the hell out of them with me in the passenger seat...never again)
When I had a GTI I hit a pothole hard enough to take out my tire but the stock Austin (18") wheel was undamaged.
19s might be a little worse though, personally I'm happy with my 18s and extra sidewall given the crappy Ohio roads I drive on.

tax guy

Passed Driver's Ed
I have 18" Enkei TSP5 wheels for winter use and hit a pothole around here in the rain (pothole was filled with water, making it hard to spot). It bent the rim very slightly, not enough to vibrate.

I just swapped out the winter set for Pretorias and decided to have the bent rim wheel repaired, along with another one that has a little curb rash on it. It is very difficult to judge where the wheels are when parking against some of those retangular curbs around here.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Potholes have been rough in Toronto. Funny enough my winter set of 18"s 2 of the rims are visible bent, the other ttwo are probably damaged in some way. Switched to 17s and haven't bent any. Both of those are replicas/cheap wheels.

My 19" prets are still not dented. A few rock chips. and some minor cosmetic damage from some big potholes, but i guess i've been lucky.