GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 Golf R?

CCgolfR

Hey guys,

New to the forum....had a 2015 GTi with Performance Pack, took it in for servicing and test drove a 2017 Golf R. Heard many reviewers state not much difference etc to warrant price difference....Drove it once and ended trading up for the R. Quick question as I have a sickness for keeping vehicles for long periods of time, anyone have any solid info on the new Golf R? I am hearing 350hp and still manual available. Release dates?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
If you are in US, you gotta wait until 2020 (2021MY). And its too early for anyone to know anything concrete.

MIKE PP.

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf R.
Auto Express magazine have said this week that the next Golf R will, according to VW be the most extreme version of the hatchback there has ever been. The exact mechanical layout is yet to be confirmed but the 400bhp powertrain is expected to stick closely to the current model with a 2.0liter 4 cylinder turbo.Mild hybrid 48v technology could also be used.

radoroc

Ready to race!
Auto Express magazine have said this week that the next Golf R will, according to VW be the most extreme version of the hatchback there has ever been. The exact mechanical layout is yet to be confirmed but the 400bhp powertrain is expected to stick closely to the current model with a 2.0liter 4 cylinder turbo.Mild hybrid 48v technology could also be used.

I highly doubt it will be 400hp, as it's rumoured the r400 will be coming. Realistically it will be 320-350hp.

There's no way it will jump 108hp.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
If anything, it will come out as a 400hp version in Europe, and NA will get the de-tuned version, as usual...

spessx

Ready to race!
What? A 400hp Golf R with a manual?

That's unlikely because I don't think that even VW engineers could figure out how to make a 400hp/AWD car with a manual still run in the 14's. They'd have to figure out a way to put an even weaker clutch and notchier shifter in it. Between the clutch slip and missed gears maybe it could hit the mark. DSG would probably run 9's.

OK, ending my bitterness. I hope the Mk8 is great.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
The USA will get nothing and like it!

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
My next daily will have this engine. Fingers crossed they bring the sportback to the states or slam it into the next R; otherwise I'll be looking into an engine swap :eek:

NEED the sportback here.
If you do that swap though, you let me know and I will come help hah.