GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mud Flaps For Golf R Only

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I'll say that while I don't like the trucker-flap looks of the rally armors (goes better on the more utilitarian looking subarus), I also really don't like the fact that the OEM flaps cover paint on the side of the car. The rally armors disappear when looking at the car from the side.

I might pick up a set of the rally armors and try trimming them down to be more of a profile like the OEM flaps...

If you're going to buy them to cut them up, you might try doing what a lot of Subaru guys do. They buy the cheap flexible cutting boards from IKEA (don't know why they specifically like IKEA) and cut them to size, then install.

While I'm not sure how it would look, it might be a cheap "test run" to see how it looks before potentially blowing $150 on something you might not like.

pnwbrdr

Ready to race!
If you're going to buy them to cut them up, you might try doing what a lot of Subaru guys do. They buy the cheap flexible cutting boards from IKEA (don't know why they specifically like IKEA) and cut them to size, then install.

While I'm not sure how it would look, it might be a cheap "test run" to see how it looks before potentially blowing $150 on something you might not like.

actually, not a terrible idea, just to see what they look like (my last car was a wrx so I'm familiar, I ran RA's). Wish I had thought of that before I went down there on Saturday... :eek: I definitely won't use them as an actual solution because they warp, chalk, and generally look like garbage, but could be a good way to see if I want to spend the extra money for the RA's.

I think they use Ikea boards because they're black and obnoxiously cheap. Ikea is too far for me to drive back down there, but I'm sure I can find something closer that'll get the mockup done.

Really wish someone was still making these:
https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/11053-mk7-carbon-fibre-mud-guards-now-available/

From what I understand the guy making them flaked out on a bunch of people and now they're no longer available... This is my ideal solution... Maybe I'll just shortcut it and make something low profile like this... just want something to keep the side of the car from getting too much splash while driving around in the wet winters here.

Last edited:

Yellokilo

Passed Driver's Ed
The image shown looks like a facelift not the pre-facelift. Will this definitely work on the mk7? I do realize its stated in the description it just doesn't seem to match the picture
A guy ordered it on the other forum. It was made for 15-17 (Pre-facelift).
We shall see in a week (or two). They will either go on my car or go on Kijiji.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I also ordered a set, so annoying that there are no OEM mudflaps for the MK7 R. Based on what other people said just go by the description.

r12rex

Go Kart Newbie
Ordered and received my set a few days ago. They fit the MK7 R just fine. Fitment is A-, the flaps themselves need some "finishing." Lots of excess plastic and rough edges, but I don't expect much from non-OEM parts. I'm happy! I actually purchased 2 sets by mistake and will be selling the other one when it arrives. PM me if interested :) otherwise I'll post them up FS.

Kind Regards,
Ryan

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Ordered and received my set a few days ago. They fit the MK7 R just fine. Fitment is A-, the flaps themselves need some "finishing." Lots of excess plastic and rough edges, but I don't expect much from non-OEM parts. I'm happy! I actually purchased 2 sets by mistake and will be selling the other one when it arrives. PM me if interested :) otherwise I'll post them up FS.

Kind Regards,
Ryan

How are you fixing the imperfections? Just sanding it down a bit?

Also can you install with the wheels on or do i gotta take the rears off?

Bvstp

Passed Driver's Ed
Just ordered as well. In the US but Amazon UK will send to the US. The 29.99 converts to $39.91 USD. Total was a little over $41. But I’ve been searching and waiting for months and thought I’d give this a shot. Receive date is June 5 - 13. Looking forward to finally getting them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

r12rex

Go Kart Newbie
How are you fixing the imperfections? Just sanding it down a bit?

Also can you install with the wheels on or do i gotta take the rears off?

Finishing them is easy with some wet sanding around the edges if it’s necessary. Installation, I imagine it’s possible to install with wheels on using the right tools but removing the wheel and installing them is the best way to do it. ?

Kind Regards
Ryan

BlackGolfsMatter

Passed Driver's Ed

Kind Regards,
Ryan

pictures please... i ordered a set and wouldn't mind photos of what to look forward to :D

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
I'm getting mine today looks like ... I'll post up some pictures for you guys. Eventhough I'm selling the car ... never too late to add some mods hehe.

Yellokilo

Passed Driver's Ed
Got mine last week. Test fitted and looks good.

They come with self-tapping mounting screws. Each mudflap uses 2 OEM fender screws and a third one which is supplied.

Appointment booked to get PPF and install Monday.
Pictures to follow.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Weird i didn't get any screwed in mine, i'll have to double check the box in the garbage bin that i didn't miss it haha.

If it wasn't for the Chinese stamps on the plastic i would have thought they were VW OEM. They look perfect.

Still have to fit them but i think i'll skip the third screw and see how they hold up with just the 2 oem ones. If they're loose then i'll add it in. Anyone done that?