GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf Tailgate Swop question re Clubsport Spoiler.

Jeff Wood

Hey guys, I've just bought a new mk7.5 Golf GTI, 3 door, and I really want to add a Clubsport rear spoiler.

I love the look of Clubsports, and I've already ordered a set of 19" wheels that look close to Prets,(AEZ Raise HG), and I'm having Eibach lowered springs fitted on Monday.

So, to fit the spoiler, I understand that I would need to find a tailgate from a lesser model Golf, ie, not a GTI/GTD/R etc,

But my question is, how much of a job would it be to swop the tailgates ?

Bearing in mind that my Golf has the latest dynamic Indicators, so I assume that I'd have to change all the wiring inside the tailgate ??

Has anyone done this ??

Btw, I know its a lot of work (expense ) but I honestly think the Clubsport rear spoiler looks amazing and transforms the look of the car.

Many thanks, Jeff.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Hey guys, I've just bought a new mk7.5 Golf GTI, 3 door, and I really want to add a Clubsport rear spoiler.

I love the look of Clubsports, and I've already ordered a set of 19" wheels that look close to Prets,(AEZ Raise HG), and I'm having Eibach lowered springs fitted on Monday.

So, to fit the spoiler, I understand that I would need to find a tailgate from a lesser model Golf, ie, not a GTI/GTD/R etc,

But my question is, how much of a job would it be to swop the tailgates ?

Bearing in mind that my Golf has the latest dynamic Indicators, so I assume that I'd have to change all the wiring inside the tailgate ??

Has anyone done this ??

Btw, I know its a lot of work (expense ) but I honestly think the Clubsport rear spoiler looks amazing and transforms the look of the car.

Many thanks, Jeff.

Why not just modify the holes on the trunk lid.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You are correct that the two tailgates are different. I would be surprised if a new tailgate came with any wiring in it at all. Unlikely to come with the hatch release because every car doesn't have the rear view cam. May not even come with the rear wiper, which case you have to swap your equipment over anyway.

If buying used I suspect it will be less hassle to swap over whatever is different than to find a golf with the same specs as your GTI.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Jeff Wood

If I do this then I'd buy a tailgate from a crashed Golf.(pref a very late model in the same colour)

This actually brings me to my next question....are the 3 door and 5 door tailgate the same ??

I assume they are.

PasifikMavi

Passed Driver's Ed
Price for new gti hatch including roof spoiler and piano black thingies on sides cost 700USD new ,so I would expect golf hatch to cost more or less similar

Dıd you managed to find clubsport spoiler for cheap ?

Jeff Wood

Hey guys..sorry for more questions..

Just thinking.. I could be waiting ages for a mint late tailgate in the right colour to come along...so maybe best to get one and have it sprayed.

If I do this, I'm thinking I'm best off getting a completely bare one , have it sprayed and then have the glass fitted.

Anyway the question is..is that the right order? Ie..spray first and then glass fitted ?

I'm guessing it is but just checking :) cheers all.

R Mod 18

Car(s)
Golf R
Hi All

New to this forum, so apologies if I am repeating any questions / information...

@Jeff Wood - Did you progress and complete the ClubSport Spoiler / Tailgate upgrade as outlined?

Question:

I have found this thread conversation and as someone who is potentially looking to fit a MY2016 (Mk7) 3-Door Golf GTI ClubSport Tailgate and Upper Tailgate Roof Spoiler to my MY2018 (Mk7.5) 5-Door Golf R would welcome assistance and guidance as outlined below..

I have managed to source a genuine VW GTI ClubSport Tailgate with Spoiler attached, but before I outlay further monies on respraying and fitment, am looking to confirm that a Mk7 Tailgate will physically fit a Mk7.5 vehicle?

I believe there are no differences between 3-door and 5-door model tailgates (confirmation welcome) and understand that the light apertures are the same size (i.e. Mk7.5 dynamic rear lights will fit the Mk7 tailgate), but looking to understand if the tailgate and its hinge fittings are identical between model "Mk" variants...

Any further advise on other related information, gotchas or issues would be welcome ahead of me embarking on this project....

Many thanks for your help and assistance.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
no difference between 3 and 5 door tailgate (lol i realize i replied to this in 2018 as well. :) )As for hinges, i'm fairly certain they're all the same as well. If you take a picture of your mk7.5 i'm sure someone will confirm with a mk7 in short order.