GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni Yellow settings

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Doesn't the white ring hold that protector tube?

The dust boot may be able to move around a bit more without the white ring, but I don't see how that would be any sort of problem. If that's all it is for, it's pointless. I thought it might be structural to keep the lower part of the bump stop from pancaking down at all.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I should’ve give out a bit more info, the trimmed part on the pic is the bottom part and that was left out of the shock, the upper part stayed in. If in doubt you can check for noises by compressing the shock fully and simulate bouncing on it , my car is silent now, love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the clarification.. I guess it pays waiting to do your install lol.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
The dust boot may be able to move around a bit more without the white ring, but I don't see how that would be any sort of problem. If that's all it is for, it's pointless. I thought it might be structural to keep the lower part of the bump stop from pancaking down at all.

Yes , that’s what the ring is for(in my head lol), to avoid that the BStop goes further than it should,

In my opinion you could get away with cutting a bit more off the bump stop I haven’t tested with passengers and cargo yet but so far it’s noise free and the stock shocks made an ocasional noise that is no longer present.

By the way if you remember that the old shock had a plastic piece that kept the dust boot in place.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Oh, something that came up yesterday. Does the orientation of the shock matter at all? Where it goes in to the control arm, it can be inserted with the Koni sticker facing out or in.

Last edited:

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Just chiming in here for some guidance. I have ordered a set of Konis and the US Pro Kit (Konis on back order till mid June). I am in the process of doing my research and prepping for install so I appreciate this informative thread.

I have ordered new hardware and strut bearings but I was curious if new strut mounts were absolutely necessary? If so it sounds like OEM is the way to go?

Also how does the top nut install on the Konis? I gather it is different from the stock dampers as it likely doesn't use an allen key. The reason I ask is because I want to have all the tools needed for install (looking for an excuse to buy new tools [emoji6]

Thanks in advance!

Depends on how many miles on your car for the top mount , my car was 31 k and I reused them but I installed new bearings

Stock and Konis are the same except fro the nut , 22mm instead of 21mm and an Allen key in the center.

For the fronts you will need the one in the pic or you can go to auto zone and buy an oxygen sensor wrench thingy.

For the tears

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Haha, that looks better than my vice grips on a long socket.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Oh, something that came up yesterday. Does the orientation of the shock matter at all? Where it goes in to the control arm, it can be inserted with the Koni sticker facing out or in.

It shouldn’t matter, but just in case it does I install them with the sticker facing out but that’s the OCD in me.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Haha, that looks better than my vice grips on a long socket.

Lol that’s a pain haha, the one in the first picture will allow for the correct torque spec even after the car is under load just to avoid any noises

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
You gotta hold the allen key steady while turning the nut or the rod spins. Not sure this would work.

Stick allen socket on 3/8" extension down shaft of shower wrench. You don't need a 1/2" socket, 3/8" will do. Heck if you can find a 1/4" even better, frees up more room in the shower wrench. Plenty of room in there for the 3/8" adapter to come out the top. Attach that to a ratchet and hold it in place.
Slide a thick screwdriver through the shower wrench hole. Turn screwdriver to tighten nut. 6-7 years ago I did this. Has held just fine.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Stick allen socket on 3/8" extension down shaft of shower wrench. You don't need a 1/2" socket, 3/8" will do. Heck if you can find a 1/4" even better, frees up more room in the shower wrench. Plenty of room in there for the 3/8" adapter to come out the top. Attach that to a ratchet and hold it in place.
Slide a thick screwdriver through the shower wrench hole. Turn screwdriver to tighten nut. 6-7 years ago I did this. Has held just fine.

If the 3/8 extension is coming out of the top of the shower wrench, how do you stick a screwdriver through it?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
If the 3/8 extension is coming out of the top of the shower wrench, how do you stick a screwdriver through it?

Angle it just a slight bit. It will still engage the allen head. This is why I said to use 3/8" socket and extension. The more room in there the easier it is to move out of the way. The allen isn't doing the torquing so it doesn't need to be super fully engaged. Just needs to stop strut from rotating. That doesn't require a whole lot of holding power.

symbiotix

Passed Driver's Ed
Depends on how many miles on your car for the top mount , my car was 31 k and I reused them but I installed new bearings

Stock and Konis are the same except fro the nut , 22mm instead of 21mm and an Allen key in the center.

For the fronts you will need the one in the pic or you can go to auto zone and buy an oxygen sensor wrench thingy.

For the tears

Thanks for the clarification... I'm assuming an offset wrench then allen key on torque wrench should work fine. Kinda like whats pictured here...