GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VWR Springs Installed - Stiff Steering & Other Issues

dking99

Had the local guy install my VWR springs today. A few issues to report:

1. All warning lights are now on.
2. Appears to be very low in the rear, sitting higher in the front than expected.
3. Very wobbly ride. Highway speeds the car feels like it wobbles laterally.
4. Steering wheel at all times feels substantially stiffer. Not suspension stiffness, but actual effort to turn the wheel for any turn.

Any assumptions or am I just being paranoid?

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
"The local guy" — what does that mean?

Sounds as if the front springs aren't seated properly, and/or the strut bearings at the top aren't assembled right, and/or the struts aren't fully seated in the steering knuckle clamps at the bottom — or actually any number of things.

Warning lights make me wonder whether the DCC connectors are plugged in, or if the installer failed to disconnect the suspension position sensors before suspension disassembly and therefore broke them, or failed to reconnect them afterward.

Only physical inspection by a knowledgeable person will provide answers.

Neil

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
..Warning lights make me wonder whether the DCC connectors are plugged in, or if the installer failed to disconnect the suspension position sensors before suspension disassembly and therefore broke them, or failed to reconnect them afterward...

This sounds very likely to me. I did springs myself on my GTI, and if I didn't already know to watch out for the sensors, they would have been very easy to over look and break them. Also be sure he didn't damage ABS sensors or muck up the ABS plugs/wiring on the front.

dking99

Fixed!

The "local guy" who I have taken my Honda to for a few years now took the car straight to VW to have them check out. They told him anytime you mess with suspension, "things need to be reset." Everything is back to perfect working condition with no lights or issues. No cost to me...they even washed my car!

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
After my spring install, all I needed to do was re-adjust the headlights. No lit up dash, no resets needed.

It's true that an alignment is needed after a spring install, but going from stock to VWR's is a small enough drop that you shouldn't have experienced any severe drivability problems without an alignment.

As long as it works out in the end.. but I don't think you're getting the straight scoop.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
After my spring install, all I needed to do was re-adjust the headlights. No lit up dash, no resets needed.

It's true that an alignment is needed after a spring install, but going from stock to VWR's is a small enough drop that you shouldn't have experienced any severe drivability problems without an alignment.

As long as it works out in the end.. but I don't think you're getting the straight scoop.

I agree. I have done VWR's on my 2015 Golf R and Eibachs on my 2017 GTI and neither had any issues like described.

There was definitely an error made during the installation here and it's good he fixed it. Would be nice if they were more forthcoming with the whole truth though.