GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A better tire for bad roads (GTI Sport)

DesertOwl

Newbie here. I'm sure this topic has been addressed before but I can't seem to find it in this forum.

I recently got a 2017 GTI Sport that came with Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 ultra high performance all season tires (225/40R18). The car is wonderful but seems to ride rough and bounce around on the roads and freeways here in Los Angeles. It makes me feel like a bobblehead or a cup of jello. The strut pucks have been removed, so I'm aware that I probably just have to get used to the GTI's firmer suspension.

But I'm curious if anybody here knows of a tire that could improve the ride comfort. I mostly do city driving so I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of handling in order to take the hard edge off.

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
Hankook are Korean tires and in my opinion are not very good, especially after you put so wear on them. I would recommend switching over to Michelin or continental for ride quality without sacrificing grip. Michelin will give you the longest wear but cost a little more.

hope this helps

I think you’d need to get 17” wheels and tires to make and appreciable difference.
^^ this

Get 17" wheels e.g. from a Golf or aftermarket and wrap them with 235/45 R17 touring tires.

You WILL for sure notice the difference in ride quality. ;)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
225/45R17 is the size that VW fit...

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have a GTI Sport with DSG, PP, non-DCC. Take my word for what it's worth, but I noticed a significant improvement when I switched to DG springs. Much smoother and more comfortable. There are rough patches on my commute that used to make my teeth rattle and it's much better now. Also I used have to be deft and diligent about avoiding bumps in the road because of the harshness. Now not so necessary anymore.

I did notice that my stock spring part# did not match up with what's listed online for cars with PP. So I'm wondering if VW screwed up and installed the wrong springs or simply if the spring and damper suspension VW went with did not compliment each other.