GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mazda 3 to GTI with concern

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've had mine since 10/17, it's had one faulty sensor and one noisy damper, both replaced under warranty with minimal inconvenience. I've previously owned Japanese cars (with one exception) and most of them were Honda, so I too was a bit nervous about reliability. But since you're buying new, you'll get the world's longest warranty, so why worry?

Hyundai and Kia have a longer warranty 6 years and 100,000 miles.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Hyundai and Kia have a longer warranty 6 years and 100,000 miles.

Only for the original purchaser and not transferable. I believe it's only 5yr/50k for subsequent owners. Also requires meticulous service records performed at Hyundai/KIA dealers.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
No they aren’t. They haven’t been in a long time.

Agree here, much better than they once were. Most I know are pretty happy. Regarding the warranty, 10/100k warranty is powertrain warranty, not bumper to bumper. I believe it’s 5/60, could be wrong.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Only for the original purchaser and not transferable. I believe it's only 5yr/50k for subsequent owners. Also requires meticulous service records performed at Hyundai/KIA dealers.

No more meticulous records than any other car. I've had two of them

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Mitsubishi offers a 10yr warranty as well. Not sure if its chronological, as in 10 years from purchase date, or 10 years of actual availability to drive it, which puts you probably around 2037. Mitsubishis spend a lot of time in the shop, is what I'm getting at.

If the plug in Kia Niro hybrid was available in 2017, I would have likely bought one of those to replace my 2004 TDI instead of the GTI. (the regular Niro was just around 25 hp too slow to be tolerated, and our Chevy Volt has really good pickup to about 120 km/h, but especially to 60 km/h. Phevs are a pretty great solution)

Kias have come leaps and bounds and are even surpassing Toyota on initial quality reviews. It is nuts how quickly they turned around.

Mazda, outside of the Miata, I've just never really liked. Haven't driven in a new one for 6 or so years, though.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Mitsubishi offers a 10yr warranty as well. Not sure if its chronological, as in 10 years from purchase date, or 10 years of actual availability to drive it, which puts you probably around 2037. Mitsubishis spend a lot of time in the shop, is what I'm getting at.

If the plug in Kia Niro hybrid was available in 2017, I would have likely bought one of those to replace my 2004 TDI instead of the GTI. (the regular Niro was just around 25 hp too slow to be tolerated, and our Chevy Volt has really good pickup to about 120 km/h, but especially to 60 km/h. Phevs are a pretty great solution)

Kias have come leaps and bounds and are even surpassing Toyota on initial quality reviews. It is nuts how quickly they turned around.

Mazda, outside of the Miata, I've just never really liked. Haven't driven in a new one for 6 or so years, though.

You haven’t missed much, the 3 and the 6’s are dog ass slow, and though I like the look of the 6 quite a bit, the lack of power was a real downer.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
No more meticulous records than any other car. I've had two of them

I was a Service Writer for a Hyundai dealer for a bit. Lack of routine service records made it easy for corporate to deny claims for neglect. Engine blew up? Better make sure oil changes were done on schedule.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I was a Service Writer for a Hyundai dealer for a bit. Lack of routine service records made it easy for corporate to deny claims for neglect. Engine blew up? Better make sure oil changes were done on schedule.

I had a Veloster turbo that had all the bolt ons and was tuned and my dealer warrantied a few things but they weren't powertrain related.

jd8499

For what it's worth, we bought my wife a brand new 2018 Outlander last August. She puts a ton of miles on a car and generally treats them like crap. It has 30,000 miles on it now and we've had zero problems. It's severely underpowered and generally cheaply built but it's been rock solid mechanically thus far. Also got 0% for 72 so that was cool.