GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Could a dealer upgrade a non-PP GTI to have PP brakes?

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
Im in need of new rotors soon, and I have been heavily considering upgrading to the PP brakes for my car. It would be nice having some bigger brakes with my tune, but I'm not exactly in the mood to spend a bunch on performance brakes.

Would a VW dealer be able to install the PP brakes? I know if they could, labor would probably be very pricey, but I'm just curious.

Otherwise, what's the average cost of doing them yourself?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yes, a dealer could. Both the new OEM parts and labor would drive up the cost greatly. I wouldn't be surprised if a dealer quoted you over $2,000 to do it.

Doing it yourself can vary in price. A new, OEM kit will run about $1,200. If you're fine with getting lightly used parts, I've seen used sets going for about half that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
This information is out there if you search, but you probably won’t benefit at all from larger brakes.

-do you track the car or ever plan to?

-have you ever experienced brake fade?

If you answered no to these questions, you don’t need bigger brakes.

The size of brake rotors makes no difference in actual braking “power” if you will. Larger brakes only increase your ability to dissipate heat, thus repeatable performance under race conditions you’d never experience in a daily commute or even in most spirited driving.

Brake pads are the component responsible for the aggressiveness or lack their of in braking.

Assuming you actually need rotors you must have high mileage (or drive with one foot on the brake). Fluid should be changed after 30k miles and then every two years regardless of mileage, so while you’re at it try some more performance oriented fluid if you feel the need and pads then enjoy the $1500+ left over on something else.

Also, OEM or similar blank rotors are proven best. Don’t buy into drilled and or slotted as an “upgrade”

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
This information is out there if you search, but you probably won’t benefit at all from larger brakes.

-do you track the car or ever plan to?

-have you ever experienced brake fade?

If you answered no to these questions, you don’t need bigger brakes.

Let's be honest. The main reason to do the swap is for the sweet looking calipers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Depending upon the wheels you have you might have to get different wheels also to clear the calipers.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
I do like the sweet calipers, that's a big factor.

I would like to track the car in the future, but it wouldn't be a full time thing.

I really was just curious as to whether or not the option was available if I wanted to. If I had the money and it seemed like something I really should do, I would.

Appreciate all the input, though.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I do like the sweet calipers, that's a big factor.

I would like to track the car in the future, but it wouldn't be a full time thing.

I really was just curious as to whether or not the option was available if I wanted to. If I had the money and it seemed like something I really should do, I would.

Appreciate all the input, though.

I was torn for a long time on which route to take, went with stoptech ST40 which I got a killer deal on ($1400) new and I’m glad I did.

Although the pedal feel is amazing over either of the floating calipers these cars came stock with there’s really no reason for these on my daily driver.

BUT, on the track they’re amazing and as you guys mentioned they look really cool.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
A diy install is easy. If you have the service manual, i recommend swapping them yourself to save money the dealer would charge for the install.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Stop tech ST40! Way less weight, four piston caliper, great pedal feel. I paid 1940.00, install is easy. All the PP stuff is heavy. I noticed when changing my super heavy factory wheel and tire for a lightweight combo I saved 12.4 lbs. per corner, when I changed the brakes I saved 9.2'lbs at the front each side. I did also change my rear brakes to PP setup, gained 4lbs each side.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Are the PP rear calipers/rotors even worth the upgrade over non-pp? Seems like a negligible difference as the front do most of the work anyway.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
What Niol8r says is true. I got a super deal on a rear 310MM set up, 522.00, so I installed it. Like another poster noted.....it looks cool. I can tell you that my Alltrack stops like it hit a wall. I know when I am on my Ducati I have to be careful braking because there is NO car that will stop as hard as that bike. Likewise, the Alltrack has such tremendous braking power that I need to be careful about who is behind me if a line of traffic is rapidly slowing down. I have noticed the wet braking distance has improved as well.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
See, this is the mixed type of input I like, from the people that track their cars and daily drivers.

I really started considering brakes after my tune. I don't beat on the car or drive like a complete maniac, but I have had to get on the brakes pretty hard either because of someone stopping too short, sudden traffic, or I was just going too fast...

It's not that I'm unhappy with the stock brakes, i just could use a little more oomph.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
See, this is the mixed type of input I like, from the people that track their cars and daily drivers.

I really started considering brakes after my tune. I don't beat on the car or drive like a complete maniac, but I have had to get on the brakes pretty hard either because of someone stopping too short, sudden traffic, or I was just going too fast...

It's not that I'm unhappy with the stock brakes, i just could use a little more oomph.

Honestly, even stock non-pp are good for the oomph. Especially with good pads. Compare them to the Beetle brakes, for instance. It's a night and day difference. If you mostly DD the car and plan to track once or twice, a legit BBK may be an overkill, and upgrading to the PP brakes may be the most reasonable option. I upgraded to PP, and i drive the car hard. No complaints, i like them.