GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 Golf R Pricing

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The dealers in Phoenix don't allow test drives and only sell at sticker.

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
Please excuse my ignorance because I still have a lot to learn. Golf R has like 30 or less torque more than GTI and about 60 hp? Nothing to sneeze at but 10k+ more than SE and not a lot of extras. Am I missing something?

ubermick

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
I must be living in a different reality than people who see Rs consistently advertised for $1,500-$3,500 below MSRP. I hop on Cars.com and it's MSRP as far as the eye can see here, unless I order from Florida or VA.

My local dealer in Santa Rosa has ONE, its MSRP, and the APR he's offering is 5.9%. (And I have 800+ credit!!!!)

(Oh wait, I am in a different reality, I'm in #@$%# California...)

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I must be living in a different reality than people who see Rs consistently advertised for $1,500-$3,500 below MSRP. I hop on Cars.com and it's MSRP as far as the eye can see here, unless I order from Florida or VA.

My local dealer in Santa Rosa has ONE, its MSRP, and the APR he's offering is 5.9%. (And I have 800+ credit!!!!)

(Oh wait, I am in a different reality, I'm in #@$%# California...)
That's your problem. Leave California and you'll be able to buy cars.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Please excuse my ignorance because I still have a lot to learn. Golf R has like 30 or less torque more than GTI and about 60 hp? Nothing to sneeze at but 10k+ more than SE and not a lot of extras. Am I missing something?

Its not just about those numbers. R offers a totally different experience and its a personal preference if someone wants to spend that extra money or not.

Disclaimer: We have many a R vs GTI thread and i hope this doesnt become one.

The R is a bit of a bargain if you look at resale value compared to the GTI, so they're closer in cost of ownership than the sticker would indicate.

Both my STI's were cheaper to own for 3 years than my WRX was.

I think R comes out close too.

I bought a Rabbit this year though because I plan on keeping it for 10 years and I think think it's the better DDer, but I was tempted by the R and if I don't end up keeping the Rabbit, I'll probably end up kicking myself for not buying an R.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
Its not just about those numbers. R offers a totally different experience and its a personal preference if someone wants to spend that extra money or not.

Disclaimer: We have many a R vs GTI thread and i hope this doesnt become one.

Umm, not trying to turn this into anything, I admitted upfront my ignorance regarding the R, reason I was asking. Certainly not criticizing by any means. I’d love to have extra power from factory under warranty but just can’t justify dropping an extra 11-12k more than a SE. Here where I live, that’s close to the difference. Plus more on insurance, gas and I’d probably just get tickets anyway. I really think they could have done a bit more to separate the two.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Umm, not trying to turn this into anything, I admitted upfront my ignorance regarding the R, reason I was asking. Certainly not criticizing by any means. I’d love to have extra power from factory under warranty but just can’t justify dropping an extra 11-12k more than a SE. Here where I live, that’s close to the difference. Plus more on insurance, gas and I’d probably just get tickets anyway. I really think they could have done a bit more to separate the two.

You should be comparing the Autobahn cost to the R not an SE. Regardless more goes into value than just initial purchase price. Depreciation kills most if not all of the initial savings GTI owners enjoy. My R cost me less over 3.5 years than an Autobahn would have, makes the difference easy to justify.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I did the comparison of buying a brand new GTI Autobahn or a 2018 Golf R. The Golf R winds up being cheaper to own over 6-7 years despite costing more upfront. This is due to the Golf R having substantially better resale value and similar finance interest rates, maintenance and operating expenses. The 2018 Golf R is a CPO car, further extending the already long factory warranty by 12mo/12k miles.

Bought the Golf R and absolutely loving it.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

Golf R is classified as a regular Golf by most insurance companies and is cheaper to insurance than a GTI (as reported by several owners).