GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quick Review of 034 Motorsport Dogbone Inserts

jimboski10

Ready to race!
I installed the upper and lower insert fro 034 about 6 weeks ago. Very noticeable in more responsive throttle and more responsive shifts, and I don’t seem to get much wheel hop (wheel spin a different story :). I find a bit of vibration in lower RPM when getting on gas 1200-2000ish, but nothing crazy. I do however get quite a bit of noise and vibration when coming off of a stop at idle (letting the car roll forward at idle to get car moving)....good amount of shudder and noise until it gets to about 3 mph. Not sure if others experience the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took mine into the dealer for some misc. things before CPO ran out, so asked them to also check the rolling off of an idle vibration (I did tell them I have upper and lower insert)....they have told me that they think it is a DSG clutch pack and have contacted VW (I am tuned)...who told them unless they see anything they could point to that would have caused it, could be replaced under warranty. Car has 45000 been tuned for 12000.

Wondering...should I have them go ahead and replace it (if indeed under warranty)? I am thinking, it I can get a new clutch pack at 45K and before my CPO runs out (and replacement as a 12 month 12K warranty)...would seem to make good sense.

What opinion might you have on this? Do it or not?

Last edited:

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
I took mine into the dealer for some misc. things before CPO ran out, so asked them to also check the rolling off of an idle vibration (I did tell them I have upper and lower insert)....they have told me that they think it is a DSG clutch pack and have contacted VW (I am tuned)...who told them unless they see anything they could point to that would have caused it, could be replaced under warranty. Car has 45000 been tuned for 12000.

Wondering...should I have them go ahead and replace it (if indeed under warranty)? I am thinking, it I can get a new clutch pack at 45K and before my CPO runs out (and replacement as a 12 month 12K warranty)...would seem to make good sense.

What opinion might you have on this? Do it or not?

If it's warranty and won't mess anything up for you give it a shot.

djoliverm

2017 6MT with 034 upper and lower dogbone mount checking in. They've been on for maybe 200 miles? They may have settled a tiny fraction, but overall I still get massive amounts of NVH right around the 2K RPM range, and being on an incline makes it worse. I live in San Francisco so going from a stop on an incline is a rather common experience.

It does improve shifting and traction greatly. My JB4 is coming in this week, and I have already swapped to Michelin AS/3+ Pilot Sports (or whatever they're called) on RSE10s. I'm hoping that combo will handle the added power.

I'm like 99% positive that the upper insert is what is causing all the NVH (and you really shouldn't get just the lower now that the upper exists as it was created to stop the lower mount from eventually bending and becoming useless.)

Now, I have two extra bolts that I ordered and one is in my car just in case. I don't have ramps or anything, so I'd like to see if at some point in the future I ask a mechanic to re-do the bolt by inserting it first and running the engine, and THEN torquing to spec. I will go back to my shop after 500 miles on my catback so they can do final adjustments, so maybe I'll ask them to do it then.

jimboski10

Ready to race!
If it's warranty and won't mess anything up for you give it a shot.

Much to my surprise...the new clutch fixed the issue...upper and lower mount and NVH are barely noticeable. I am a bit surprised the clutch was going at 45K (have only been tuned for a few thousand miles)...and probably would have never noticed it if I did not put the dogbone mounts in as I am sure I would not have felt the vibration.

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
Daily driver here...about 60 miles round trip...75%highway 25% streets. I have kinda gotten used to it....not bad at all except for idling from a stop up to about 3mph

hope you are still active here.

how bad is the vibration/noise at idle, and up to 3mph? I daily my car too. thanks

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
hey
I put the 034 dogbone insert in and noticed some NVH right away. It's up to the individual but it wasn't intolerable by any means. Then I installed the BFI engine and trans mount. There was no noticeable increase in NVH from those two.

I took the insert out today just to see how it all performs. Seemingly ALL (!) the NVH went away, and I can't say that I really notice any decrease in traction or increase in the dreaded wheel hop I had before.

Just my two cents for those looking into stiffening up the driveline. If you want to keep spend to a minimum then the insert is a good way to go but just don't expect something for nothing. If you don't mind spending more and having a bit more involved installation, the mounts are the route I would pursue. (I'm APR Stage 1 and 6MT.)
did you only install lower 034 insert? or upper as well thanks!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
hope you are still active here.

how bad is the vibration/noise at idle, and up to 3mph? I daily my car too. thanks
He was last in the forum in April of this year. Maybe send him a PM to hopefully get his attention.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I have The 034 lower insert only on my 6MT and love it- I’m about to install a BFI knob and looking forward to see how much it changes.. i do have some NVH from a stop but if the control the throttle and the feather of the clutch i barely Feel it.. i have NOT done the clutch removal spring yet- just keep forgetting to do it 🤣