GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTI LongCoding ESC Off problem

andre5006

Trying to enable the total disable of the Stability Control function on my 2017 GTI Sport 6sp (US delivery, 4/2017 Build date). Internet says it’s in Byte 29 of the ABS CU Long-Code that I want to change.

Got a mechanic friend to connect his VCDS to it and found more than 29 bytes there (Internet says 29 should be last)! And byte 29 was not the expected “09” default. No change made (I have a lot of experience with software/firmware don’t want to brick anything – so when expected doesn’t watch observation – DON’T DO IT!).

Still want ESC off but not take up his time – bought an OBDeleven. Got that to connect (some docs would be nice OBD11) and load the cars CU’s, goto the ABS CU – was able to read General Info and Faults (none). Tried to read the Long-Code and got an error “Something went wrong, try again” trying again didn’t help. Tried to call-up the other ABS functions (beyond gen-info/faults) and they all returned “Something …” (again if I can’t do the basic stuff not going to run the OBDeleven APP for it). This is with the Pro version enabled.

So, has VW changed things or am I hallucinating or just flat wrong. Any help appreciated. Car is heavily Autocross-ed: reduced ESC is nice but really want ESC off (like in my 83 GTI :D)

Andre

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

andre5006

Was almost ready to return my OBD11. But after clearing the OBD11 app-data (a few times!) I was able to read and write the LongCoding! Byte 29 is still for ESC and I changed it to x06 - now the instrument panel actually reports "ESC Off" after the long press. Also was able to change the "Stability Control function" Adaption to Normal from Strong. Have AX this weekend, expecting a big improvement with "no" nannies.