GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Exterior / Interior Care (washing, detailing, exterior repairs)

Old 01-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #18
Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Drives: Golf GTI Performance Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpaddy View Post
Have you had a windscreen replaced ?

a pain in the b*tt that you have this situation. I'd definitely get that rust situation looked at asap if under warranty.
Next stop the carpet & sound matting will start fusting & stinking the car

I too had to have speaker replaced. I believed it to be covered under warranty as I said at a garage service whilst still under warranty that i suspected a leak in rear footwell.
They didn't do anything that day, but by next service I confirmed there was a leak somewhere as I noticed water in the same footwell having had a spell of dry weather.
The garage replaced the whole speaker at the next service but were charging me labour & parts- I argued that I pointed the problem out whilst under warranty, but they wouldn't budge & they charged me Ä40 for the speaker
I was ripping & seeing other's had the same problem surely VW should be covering this, as they've used a faulty sealing product used around the speaker ??!

Many thanks for sympathising !!!

Did the speaker fix your problem ?

No havenít had the windscreen replaced as you say this is in the rear footwell .

I may go back to vw and say the fix you did has not fixed the issue unfortunately !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marv_gti_mk7_pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #19
russiankid

Drives: Das Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv_gti_mk7_pp View Post
I need to have a better look .

Am I right in thinking the drain holes drop directly into the rubber seal so they are not visible ?

How does the seal remove so I can see if they are blocked or not ?

Appreciate the advice ! Thanks in advance

I believe you are correct that the drains are right into the seal which IMO is a terrible design. I am not sure how the seal is removed, my guess is that there are clips attached to the seal. Best bet would be to remove the door panel and have a look inside. This way, there are clips, you can push them out from the inside rather then destroying them and then having to buy new ones.
russiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:23 PM   #20
Marv_gti_mk7_pp

So took the car to the dealer yesterday who confirmed the door seal had corroded and needs replacing !

Booked in Wednesday to have it fitted !

Fingers crossed problem solved !

Old 01-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #21
Redpaddy

Drives: May 2014 Golf7 DSG -Pacific Blue
Quote:
Many thanks for sympathising !!!

Did the speaker fix your problem ?

No havenít had the windscreen replaced as you say this is in the rear footwell .

I may go back to vw and say the fix you did has not fixed the issue unfortunately !

Hi, yes the new speaker sorted out the problem...the sealing substance around the speaker edge had a disintegrated piece about 2inches long..
Which makes me wonder about the overall quality of the materials been used...It's all driven towards planned obsolesce, as are all industries, sadly.

On my MK7 the cornering lights have just stopped working. Iíve had the seat massage unit replaced, the speaker leak issue, the auto dim lights stop working after a while saying the windscreen is fogged even though itís crystal clear!
Thereís only 40K on it !

My wifeís car is a 2008 MK5. Sheís had it from new & itís been well looked after, however in the last few months itís one thing after the other.
The DSG took fits of not engaging in gear. A soft wear update may have solved it but itís like Russian roulette every time she gets in. If itís not that itís the DSG control unit.
Plus the 2 back door locks have stopped working... As the saying goes, ĎThey isnít made like they used to beí !
Golf MK7- DSG - Pacific Blue - Discover Pro - Pano Roof -Bi-Xenon Lights> Dynamic Light Assist -Lane Assist - Adaptive Cruise Control -Park Assist- Rear Camera- Ergo Seats(Massage Function)- Climatronic AirCon
Redpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #22
Marv_gti_mk7_pp

After replacing speaker gaskets and door seals Iím still having this problem !

Have written to vw UK today to try and get some more information , surely the mk7ís donít just do this ?

Considering swapping because of it !

Can anyone shed any more light on it ?

Again appreciate any responses in advance !

Old 03-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #23
russiankid

I am willing to bet the drains were not cleared out. Mine started seeping water in again, I intend to figure out where the drains and make a how to on it. However, it is winter out so have to wait for it to warm up before I dive into it.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #24
Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
I am willing to bet the drains were not cleared out. Mine started seeping water in again, I intend to figure out where the drains and make a how to on it. However, it is winter out so have to wait for it to warm up before I dive into it.

Do you think ??? Convinced the water isnít coming through the speaker gasket though ?

Can also see how it could leak directly onto the bottom of the seal to be fair .

As you say need to have a better look !

Does this ever happen on the front doors with yours ? My front door seals are perfect !

Hope your right my friend ! Nightmare of a problem ! But I donít think we are the only ones ! Common mk7 issue , Volkswagen UK told me today they are ďunawareĒ of the issue !

Old 03-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #25
southpawboston

Drives: '17 GSW S
I have a brand new MK7 and after a particularly heavy rain and windstorm last week, I also found water had breached the seals on all four doors and the rear hatch. There was water on the plastic sills. I didn't think too much of it at the time since it was an exceptional storm, but now that I've read this thread, it has me thinking there is a design flaw responsible for this. Since I've only had the car for a month, there's little chance that accumulated debris has accumulated in the drains. I had better go and check the carpets tonight and make sure they're not wet!
southpawboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #26
Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
I have a brand new MK7 and after a particularly heavy rain and windstorm last week, I also found water had breached the seals on all four doors and the rear hatch. There was water on the plastic sills. I didn't think too much of it at the time since it was an exceptional storm, but now that I've read this thread, it has me thinking there is a design flaw responsible for this. Since I've only had the car for a month, there's little chance that accumulated debris has accumulated in the drains. I had better go and check the carpets tonight and make sure they're not wet!

Mate Iím sorry to cause concern with your brand new mk7 !!!

Itís just a problem which shouldnít occur !

Iíve made the point to VW that much much cheaper cars do not have this silly issue .

Be interesting to let us know if yours does the same from brand new ?!

I

Old 03-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #27
russiankid

Quote:
Do you think ??? Convinced the water isnít coming through the speaker gasket though ?

Can also see how it could leak directly onto the bottom of the seal to be fair .

As you say need to have a better look !

Does this ever happen on the front doors with yours ? My front door seals are perfect !

Hope your right my friend ! Nightmare of a problem ! But I donít think we are the only ones ! Common mk7 issue , Volkswagen UK told me today they are ďunawareĒ of the issue !

I am not sure if this is the case, but I am pretty sure my speaker seals are fine and last time this happened the dealer had cleared out the drain holes in the door and all was well.

Quote:
How long did the car sit on the dealer lot? Doesn't take much to clog a small hole.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #28
southpawboston

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
I am not sure if this is the case, but I am pretty sure my speaker seals are fine and last time this happened the dealer had cleared out the drain holes in the door and all was well.

How long did the car sit on the dealer lot? Doesn't take much to clog a small hole.
Build date is 5/17. Car purchased 1/29/2018. How long does it take from build to dealer? Most lots don't have trees or debris to clog drains, I would imagine.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #29
Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Finally booked back in at the dealer !

Starting to think is the door buckled ??

Old 03-13-2018, 08:15 PM   #30
Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Quote:
Finally booked back in at the dealer !

Starting to think is the door buckled ??

Having had a better look today , I know think this area is suspect , can I have some other opinions ?? Many thanks in advance !!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #31
Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Think I have found the culprit from a simple water test !!!

Appears to be the speaker area !

Having had the gasket already replaced Iím still annoyed how this is happening

Hopefully this may help others though !!!!

Old 03-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #32
southpawboston

Quote:
Think I have found the culprit from a simple water test !!!

Appears to be the speaker area !

Having had the gasket already replaced Iím still annoyed how this is happening

Hopefully this may help others though !!!!
Well done!! Your test method has captured the defect in its tracks. No one can refute that now. Show your service manager and ask him why the tech who repaired it originally didn't bother to test his repair using a similar water test.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:05 PM   #33
Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Quote:
Well done!! Your test method has captured the defect in its tracks. No one can refute that now. Show your service manager and ask him why the tech who repaired it originally didn't bother to test his repair using a similar water test.

Thanks pal !!!

Just hope I can get mine sorted so others can get theirs sorted !!!

I wrongly assumed that because it had been replaced that that couldnít possibly be the problem ! I was wrong !!!

Will let everyone know how I get on next week !

Old 03-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #34
russiankid

The gasket may be fine but being that the drains are clogged, water is just pooling up. I am going to take the door panel off myself and figure it out. Dealer techs are worthless.