GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Exterior / Interior Care (washing, detailing, exterior repairs)

View Poll Results: Chemical Guys or Adams Polishes
Chemical Guys 19 50.00%
Adams Polishes 19 50.00%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2017, 05:45 PM   #18
AspektZA

Drives: GTI Mk7 SE DSG
Neither.

Sonax

1z

Menzerna

Uber alles!
AspektZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:37 PM   #19
dchoi

Drives: 2017 GTI
Carpro.
dchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:13 PM   #20
PouncingPanzer

Drives: White '17 GTI Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchoi View Post
Carpro.
The brand with the most "WOW!" products.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:56 PM   #21
Audog

Drives: 2017 GTI
Use Adams stuff, except Stoner invisible glass and 1z cockpit cleaner. Have had good luck with Adams, and their customer service is second to none.
Audog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #22
Jack Straw

Drives: 2017 Golf R, 1961 SWB Berlinetta
Since this is a highly scientific survey here's my seriously considered position.......
Because I grew up in East Los Angeles everything about Chemical Guys shouts "MY HOME BOYS" to me. I watch some of their videos and I see guys and gals I hung out with as a youngster.
Jack Straw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:41 AM   #23
IceBerg4k1

Drives: MK7 GTI SE Performance Pack
Neither really. I use Chemical Guys wash soaps but other than that my arsenal consists primarily of Optimum, Ultima and CarPro. Adam's is not worth the $$$ to me when they are better products out there for cheaper.
IceBerg4k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:17 AM   #24
c72k

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBerg4k1 View Post
Neither really. I use Chemical Guys wash soaps but other than that my arsenal consists primarily of Optimum, Ultima and CarPro. Adam's is not worth the $$$ to me when they are better products out there for cheaper.
This. Exactly my opinion too
c72k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #25
Porknozzle

Drives: 2017 R
I started seriously detailing when I bought my 13 black Challenger. Over the past 4+ years I've tried just about everything and now I only use Chemical Guys products on my black R.

I quit "washing" cars about 3-4 years ago and now only use CG EcoWash waterless followed by CG V-07 spray detailer. For "wax" I use CG Jet Seal and CG Radiant Black, but have just ordered their Butter Wet Wax to try because of the reviews.

For cleaning tires I use CG Invincible Cleaner. To condition tires and rubber I use CG G6 Hyper Coat. Not overly glossy which I prefer. For wheels I use the EcoWash, V07 and when I feel ambitious I'll use CG Wheel Guard wax, but when that's gone I'll just use Jet Seal.

For Interior I use CG Inner Clean, Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioner which I love.

For glass I use Invisible Glass on the tint and a mix of vinegar and water for the exterior.

Porknozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:08 PM   #26
c72k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porknozzle View Post
I started seriously detailing when I bought my 13 black Challenger. Over the past 4+ years I've tried just about everything and now I only use Chemical Guys products on my black R.

I quit "washing" cars about 3-4 years ago and now only use CG EcoWash waterless followed by CG V-07 spray detailer. For "wax" I use CG Jet Seal and CG Radiant Black, but have just ordered their Butter Wet Wax to try because of the reviews.

For cleaning tires I use CG Invincible Cleaner. To condition tires and rubber I use CG G6 Hyper Coat. Not overly glossy which I prefer. For wheels I use the EcoWash, V07 and when I feel ambitious I'll use CG Wheel Guard wax, but when that's gone I'll just use Jet Seal.

For Interior I use CG Inner Clean, Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioner which I love.

For glass I use Invisible Glass on the tint and a mix of vinegar and water for the exterior.
If you seriously started detailing, wouldn’t you have tried other products? CG are considerably subpar to so many other brands out there. Not just my opinion, from experience using them too
Old 02-22-2018, 05:53 PM   #27
PouncingPanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Since this is a highly scientific survey here's my seriously considered position.......
Because I grew up in East Los Angeles everything about Chemical Guys shouts "MY HOME BOYS" to me. I watch some of their videos and I see guys and gals I hung out with as a youngster.
I can understand that.

I find most of their videos offer little useful tips or advice, they just try to sell you the same product 4 times over that has just been re bottled and colored differently.

That's my experience. I spent quite a bit on an order from them and very very soon many products worked their way to the back of the shelf. But, to someone with a silica based coating, CG doesn't offer much in regards to products. If you wax though, oh yea. Gloss enhancers are literally in every product they make minus 2 shampoos. I dislike that
Old 02-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #28
PouncingPanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by c72k View Post
If you seriously started detailing, wouldn’t you have tried other products? CG are considerably subpar to so many other brands out there. Not just my opinion, from experience using them too
Couldn't say it better myself.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:10 PM   #29
TroyScherer

Drives: GTI Autobahn LP 6MT
Quote:

CG EcoSmart Wash is loaded with a clay and wax mixture that really covers up swirls and scratches. For me that's not an ideal situation but in Cali that might make a lot of sense if you have water restrictions.

CG Blacklight (Radiant Black) is really just a filler glaze with some sealant in it. I used it in the past but I have found better options. Prima Amigo is one that I think is head and shoulders above Blacklight.
TroyScherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:35 PM   #30
Porknozzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by c72k View Post
Perhaps I should have mentioned that I only detail my own car, and if you read my first paragraph you would have seen that I tried a LOT of different products before I found what suited me best.

I love these forums because no matter what you're using/advocating someone always has something better. I buy the products that work best for me. Perhaps if I were a professional detailer my needs would be different and I would spend the rest of my life chasing that dragon.

Peace out.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #31
Porknozzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

CG EcoSmart Wash is loaded with a clay and wax mixture that really covers up swirls and scratches. For me that's not an ideal situation but in Cali that might make a lot of sense if you have water restrictions.

CG Blacklight (Radiant Black) is really just a filler glaze with some sealant in it. I used it in the past but I have found better options. Prima Amigo is one that I think is head and shoulders above Blacklight.
In my experience EcoSmart doesn't cover any scratches, it just cleans your car without all that hose, multiple buckets, foam cannon nonsense. I actually did a six month long test with 5 different products, Griot's Spray Wash, Chemical Guys EcoSmart, both grades of Optimum no rise and the equivalent to a two-bucket wash. They all scratch... period. If my car is particularly dirty I'll run it through a touchless car wash to get most of the dirt off.

As for Blacklight I agree it's nothing special. I just use it because I have it but won't buy more. I'm currently top coating with Jet Seal which I like.

Peace out.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #32
Porknozzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
Couldn't say it better myself.
Please go back and read the first paragraph of my post.

Thank you.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #33
PouncingPanzer

Quote:

Thank you.
I read it all, and I have done the same for about as long.

Every brand has homeruns and failures. I was unable to find enough homeruns with CG to keep me on board. The only CG product I lean against now and PRAISE the shat out of, is the hexlogix pads. Those are the best pads I have ever used.

I just find their marketing tactics(colors and smells), and lack of fresh to the trade advice in videos very unappealing to me.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:10 PM   #34
c72k

Quote:

Thank you.
Woah, bro. I should have respected the almighty CG user here. My sincere apology