GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Appplying polish by DA

mawallace

Ready to race!
I have been thinking about polishing my car using a DA. I want a nice glossy look and am thinking about Meguir's Ultimate Polish or scholl s17+ polish / S30 / S40. There is a coupe of scratches (not deep).

i wondered if others had used the above and their experience? If not what polishes would you use?

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
If you’re doing single stage (one polish, no trying to remove every swirl and acratch) I highly recommend HD speed from amazon. It’s amazing. If you want a true compound to remove swirls etc, then finish with polish, Megs 105 and 205 are the business

mawallace

Ready to race!
How many times could you use a light cut polish on a vw. Thinking if I polish it once a year how many years before top coat goes if I use a da

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
How many times could you use a light cut polish on a vw. Thinking if I polish it once a year how many years before top coat goes if I use a da

It’ll take awhile, especially with polish. You’re not going to take off a ton of the top coat when you polish if using a proper technique, and after you polish, apply a sealant or coating. Generally people will compound every year to two years depending on their washing technique. Those with ceramic coatings generally wait longer.

Billy Baldone1

Ready to race!
If you are looking for a true one step polish, Menzerna 2500 is what I use. It cuts and finishes nicely, Menzerna 3in1 adds alayer of wax too. If you have any pad pairing questions pm me

Navi

Autocross Champion
menzerna is a good recommendation.. If you're new though, I'd recommend Meguiar's 205 also because it is probably the easiest polish to work with. At least in my experience. Make sure you clay beforehand also. Don't polish on a surface that is not fully prepped. Start with a polishing pad. If that doesn't work step up to a cutting pad and 205. If that doesn't work then try Meguiars 105 with a polishing pad. If that doesn't work then try Meguiar's 105 with a cutting pad. You'll have to finish down Meguiars 105 though with 205 or something less aggressive. I've been able to finish down 105 to a swirl free finish with a polishing pad though so you might be able to do that. Also, with a dual action you won't remove much clear coat if any. When I used to detail professionally, I've showed customers with Ferrari's that I could let the DA sit on the paint at 6 (max speed) with a cutting polish and it won't burn through the paint.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Menzerna is what's used in German car factories.

DA polishing is a bit of an oxymoron, you'll get OK results - but what you actually need is a rotary polisher.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Menzerna is what's used in German car factories.

DA polishing is a bit of an oxymoron, you'll get OK results - but what you actually need is a rotary polisher.

You can get amazing results with a DA. Granted it's easier with rotary, but for beginners, Id say generally to avoid rotary because of how many people use it poorly, even though it's not that hard.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Rupes, flex, etc. are in between the usual DA (PC) and Rotary polishers.

They're now a medium between the old DAs and Rotary polishers now a days, I believe.
Rotary polishers do work quicker, and are necessary for mid-high paint correction.

I have an old, high milage Porter Cable for finishing touches like wax, it was replaced with a Makita 9227c and I haven't looked back.

But yes, you have to be careful with a rotary - as you can damage the paint or door handles if you get too enthusiastic.

Navi

Autocross Champion
that sounds like me. I started with a porter cable 7424 then moved on to a Makita 9227. But yes the rupes and flex... if I remember correctly they rotate and oscillate.. I think you can also burn paint with them if you use them incorrectly where as the porter cable 7424 was impossible to burn paint with in my experience.

I have been thinking about polishing my car using a DA. I want a nice glossy look and am thinking about Meguir's Ultimate Polish or scholl s17+ polish / S30 / S40. There is a coupe of scratches (not deep).

i wondered if others had used the above and their experience? If not what polishes would you use?

how old is your car? Pictures of the paint? Most likely you can get a way with a DA and have great results but sometimes a rotary is required. Def would not recommend it unless you have used one many times before.