GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY replacement of AC condenser - good idea?

rfalc

Hi guys,

My 2015 GTI AC condenser finally gave into the beating of rocks tearing it apart and UV light indicates a leak in one of the fins. I had a mechanic check the AC coolant and it's completely empty, which leads to the obvious conclusion that the AC condenser needs to be replaced. The questions are: Is it worth doing it DIY? It's a $600 job at the mechanic including parts and the cheap online AC condenser is $80 and then there's the added risk of messing stuff up by taking the bumper etc. off (which I never tried before).

Would you recommend trying it out or leave it to the professionals?

Elwood

3-7-77
Well, you need to replace the dryer anytime you open up the system and you're going to have to charge it when you are done. Are you up to that?

rfalc

My thought was to replace the drier as well, yes, as I realize that it comes with the condensers. And then driving the car to the mechanic and pay him to charge the system. Is there anything I'm overlooking or should it be trivial?

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
All of this can be done on your own if you know what you're doing. Replacement of the physical parts is not hard, it is just time consuming and be careful with o-rings and any mounting hardware. Recharging the system is not hard either, you can rent a vacuum pump and a set of manifold gauges. However, if you've never refilled a completely empty system then I'd suggest paying a mechanic to vacuum/refill.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
If I were you, I would replace all the physical bits myself and then have a shop vacuum/recharge. Last time I did it this way, the recharge cost like $80 or something like that.

rfalc

That was exactly what I was considering and still am. I spoke to the local mechanic today and he said that he'd recommend to change the radiator as well. I'm still baffled why that would be and why he would even need to touch the radiator to change the AC condenser. Do you have any ideas?

mindonmatter

Ready to race!
That was exactly what I was considering and still am. I spoke to the local mechanic today and he said that he'd recommend to change the radiator as well. I'm still baffled why that would be and why he would even need to touch the radiator to change the AC condenser. Do you have any ideas?

The radiator, intercooler and condenser are all attached to each other. It's a big job to get it out. Maybe he's recommending it be changed as a precaution?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Hi guys,

My 2015 GTI AC condenser finally gave into the beating of rocks tearing it apart and UV light indicates a leak in one of the fins. I had a mechanic check the AC coolant and it's completely empty, which leads to the obvious conclusion that the AC condenser needs to be replaced. The questions are: Is it worth doing it DIY? It's a $600 job at the mechanic including parts and the cheap online AC condenser is $80 and then there's the added risk of messing stuff up by taking the bumper etc. off (which I never tried before).

Would you recommend trying it out or leave it to the professionals?
How did this end up going? I'm going to replace my condenser this week and looking for any helpful tips/advice.

I'm fine taking the bumper apart and getting to the condenser, just not sure if there are any specific o-rings or gaskets I need to buy as well.

Jerr2553

How did this end up going? I'm going to replace my condenser this week and looking for any helpful tips/advice.

I'm fine taking the bumper apart and getting to the condenser, just not sure if there are any specific o-rings or gaskets I need to buy as well.

You just need the two new o-rings for the low & high pressure lines running to the passenger side of the condenser. I just completed replacing my entire A/C system a few weeks ago and can tell you that the condenser was by far the easiest component.

rfalc

I ended up having the local mechanic do it for me for $675. I didn't want to risk it and at the time.