GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Factory air duct with dual cut outs

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Did you get the bottom screws as well? part number for them?
No. I did notice the holes though. It snapped in pretty firmly so I don't think it's going anywhere. Will probably find some screws just in case.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I'm still not sold on that block off. I feel like it's good to let the engine bay get some more air in. I just kept the center blocked off and added some more openings for the fresh air to get into the intake. I still need to clean it up a bit more

IMG_9215.JPG

DasTurboWagen

Ready to race!
Cutting out the drivers side inlets really does make a noticeable difference in acceleration once the car adjusts to the change. I doubt it makes any more power but it definitely spools quicker and highway acceleration is smoother with or without a downshift.

I really don't know why it wouldn't be open from the factory on any model. It only has slightly more growl and the turbo still isn't as loud as it on my father's B7 Passat with older style long intake tube, so it can't be NVH.

Last edited:

Slick99

Ready to race!
Just got the air inlet piece after long time

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
I was finally able to finish my stock CAI. The passenger side is now blocked off from the engine side. I opened it up the driver side. AFE dry filter and grate removed since the car was new.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Slick99

Ready to race!
I was finally able to finish my stock CAI. The passenger side is now blocked off from the engine side. I opened it up the driver side. AFE dry filter and grate removed since the car was new.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Exactly same I did, had afe dry panel filter and snow grate removed from last 2 yrs. Btw I didn't noticed any IAT dropped much.

riambink

Passed Driver's Ed
Exactly same I did, had afe dry panel filter and snow grate removed from last 2 yrs. Btw I didn't noticed any IAT dropped much.

Have you noticed any inconsistent staining to your filter with the snow guard removed in those 2 years? I think the snow guard is also supposed to "spread" the airflow evenly across the filter but never got confirmation on that.

Slick99

Ready to race!
Have you noticed any inconsistent staining to your filter with the snow guard removed in those 2 years? I think the snow guard is also supposed to "spread" the airflow evenly across the filter but never got confirmation on that.
I usually wash my filter after every 6months, nothing sort of staining like on my other car 2016 Honda Civic 1.5T.

Sheikyurbouti

I found that the airbox mod is worth doing: I taped up the back-side of the inlet with gaff tape. If you peer down the inlet, it's significantly restricted and from my eyeball I determined it's smaller than the TB inlet tube. I opened up the drivers side with an oscillator tool. I also removed the leaf guard, but it really doesn't appear restrictive. I have heard someone mention the term "turbulence" in reference to the leaf guard, but I doubt the turbulence reduced is enough to notice. When you consider the temperature increase developed by the compressor at the intake manifold, perhaps the tape does no good either.

But wait a minute: There is a very noticeable improvement in engine happiness! My right foot is happier! I grin more!

Your happiness may vary.

Slick99

Ready to race!
I found that the airbox mod is worth doing: I taped up the back-side of the inlet with gaff tape. If you peer down the inlet, it's significantly restricted and from my eyeball I determined it's smaller than the TB inlet tube. I opened up the drivers side with an oscillator tool. I also removed the leaf guard, but it really doesn't appear restrictive. I have heard someone mention the term "turbulence" in reference to the leaf guard, but I doubt the turbulence reduced is enough to notice. When you consider the temperature increase developed by the compressor at the intake manifold, perhaps the tape does no good either.

But wait a minute: There is a very noticeable improvement in engine happiness! My right foot is happier! I grin more!

Your happiness may vary.
U can buy the euro air trim plate to make it look neat n oem. I got it from
www.oemvwshop.com/5Q0129849-air-intake-trim-plate-p953879/

bigdave79

Ready to race!
Looks like the 2018 GTIs have vertical slots cut out on either side of the grille. If you're going to cut open the blocked holes on the air intake duct, wouldn't you also need those vertical slots to help the air get up in there?

I'm sure a replacement grille just for these slots would be prohibitively expensive but there are some intake manufacturers that provide a template to cut a neat looking scoop into the driver's side section of the grille. Like this one:

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to 3D print something like this...

EDIT: just found this thread:

D.I.Y. - Intake Air Scoop/Eventuri Piece https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=37790&share_fid=112413&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mathuemc

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting. I wonder if the '18s have the duct open on both sides then? I'm also curious what the cost of that piece of the grill would be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bigdave79

Ready to race!
Interesting. I wonder if the '18s have the duct open on both sides then? I'm also curious what the cost of that piece of the grill would be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I think the forum member breaking badly confirmed that the holes for the air duct are still blocked on the '18s despite the changes to the grille.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk