Welcome.......
No wait......
Good, continue on.

Good for you on the R!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Manual.

I had to trade in my Racseng Slammer with the GTI, since it couldn't, for the life of me, remember where I put my stock shift knob. Disappointed, since I had it on my previous two GTIs, and wanted it on the R. :( A new one is on order though.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Congrats!

I just got mine three weeks ago. Decided to keep my MKV R32 to keep my Golf R company.

MoonieGT

Passed Driver's Ed
Congrats on the car. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what my next car will be. The GTI and R near the top of my list. My heart says R but my head (and basically every magazine article) says GTI.

I want the more adjustable seat with lumbar support for my back, but the only way to get that is on the Autobahn GTI or the R. At that point, the $ gap narrows... And I love the blue that is only available on the R...

As an owner of a '16 GTI and now an R, how do you feel about the R vs the GTI?

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Congrats on the car. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what my next car will be. The GTI and R near the top of my list. My heart says R but my head (and basically every magazine article) says GTI.

I want the more adjustable seat with lumbar support for my back, but the only way to get that is on the Autobahn GTI or the R. At that point, the $ gap narrows... And I love the blue that is only available on the R...

As an owner of a '16 GTI and now an R, how do you feel about the R vs the GTI?

I can't totally answer that yet, since I haven't had the car very long. Especially since I haven't really hammered on it, autocrossed it, or even defeated traction control at this point.

As far as sane and normal driving, there is literally zero difference.

From the little bit of mild hooning I've done so far, it does have a bit more turbo lag, and I'll need to keep the revs up more than I'm used to with the GTI, but it definately pushes me back in the seat more than the GTI once it goes into boost. It's less understeering, and I can feel that I'll be able to get on power harder from a dead stop and earlier in the corners. But again I haven't really pushed the car hard or driven it enough to fully know the limits yet.

I don't think their's a night and day difference between the two. Its more about being able to go to 11, and having the next step up from a GTI.

For me, it was largely about finally having that "R" badge and the super subtle sleeper styling. More like walking softly and carrying a big stick.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I can't totally answer that yet, since I haven't had the car very long. Especially since I haven't really hammered on it, autocrossed it, or even defeated traction control at this point.

As far as sane and normal driving, there is literally zero difference.

From the little bit of mild hooning I've done so far, it does have a bit more turbo lag, and I'll need to keep the revs up more than I'm used to with the GTI, but it definately pushes me back in the seat more than the GTI once it goes into boost. It's less understeering, and I can feel that I'll be able to get on power harder from a dead stop and earlier in the corners. But again I haven't really pushed the car hard or driven it enough to fully know the limits yet.

I don't think their's a night and day difference between the two. Its more about being able to go to 11, and having the next step up from a GTI.

For me, it was largely about finally having that "R" badge and the super subtle sleeper styling. More like walking softly and carrying a big stick.

Congrats for finally coming into the fold. Full acceleration from a stop IS like day and night. Your biggest issue is the heat in Henderson. I'm very familiar with the heat out there.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I want the more adjustable seat with lumbar support for my back, but the only way to get that is on the Autobahn GTI or the R. At that point, the $ gap narrows.

Typically GTIs are discounted a lot more than Rs. Having a look at Post your deal thread in Purchasing section will give you an idea of the real world pricing. R is a great vehicle but there is a significant price difference between R & GTI AB considering those discounts.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
One more thing to think about, if you are a member of SCCA, there is a program where you can purchase a GTI at dealer invoice. I used this when I puchased my GTI. It might be worth it to become a member just for that. Unfortunately, the R is excluded from the program:

https://www.scca.com/pages/member-benefits

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
One more thing to think about, if you are a member of SCCA, there is a program where you can purchase a GTI at dealer invoice. I used this when I puchased my GTI. It might be worth it to become a member just for that. Unfortunately, the R is excluded from the program:

https://www.scca.com/pages/member-benefits
FWIW... I know that there are dealerships out there willing to sell the R at invoice. :cool:

End year clearance is the reason behind this. I've been told that they have stopped production of the 2018 R and are currently working on getting the 2019's ready :cool:

adam1991

Banned
If SCCA is a no go, Costco might have something.

Anyway, an Audi S3 looks to compete with the Golf R--I wonder how differently they drive. Also, I wonder if discounts are easier to get on an S3.