GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Prototype Turbo Results

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
On 91ACN on a dynojet? hmmmmm If it takes mpi, a 450 walbro and E50 on a Boss600 to make 470 I just don't see it.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=634895&postcount=85

Remember that you have to increase fuel flow significantly with ethanol compared to pump gas or most race gas. So E50 will require quite a bit more fueling in general at that power level. That said, 470 seems pretty low for that size turbo and E50. Not sure what's going on, but it should be making at least 500-550whp.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
That was my thought too, one dyno's 450whp is another dyno's 450chp, so I'm taking that with a grain of salt. A Mustang Struggle Dyno 450whp needs fueling IMO.

I'd like to try a drop in LPFP and a HPFP upgrade to see how far that would get me before adding MPI. With just a lil'E85 I think that's an easy way to 450, but the cost/labor difference between a HPFP and MPI are shrinking at this point sooo....

I think 500whp on E85 is possible with a HPFP and LPFP upgrade without MPI.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
It's an IS38 with a bigger wheel.

This is incorrect. Our turbo is only modeled after an IS38 for fitment. Every part of the turbo is brand new and original. It only looks similar to an IS38, but there's really not much IS38 left in it ;)

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
We just installed and tuned another Vortex turbo. Here are the results:

This is on a 2016 Golf R DSG on crappy 91 Octane. The car has APR intake, APR intercooler, AMS GESI catted downpipe, autotech HPFP, and EQT Vortex Turbo. This car gets tracked a lot, so I kept the tune a bit on the safe side. This is running 28psi tapering to 27psi by redline. We had a few pulls in the 445whp range, but backed it down for reliability on the track.

Here's the dyno chart:

FWIW, it was 100F in the dyno room today!

-- Ed

MK7Davey

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for being quick and thorough with your responses Ed! I'll probably get the autotech HPFP and Precision stage 3 LPFP in the coming months before topping it off with this turbo. I'm still IS20 so I'm sure the jump will be amazing.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
That I like.

Going to stop bugging Ed, but one last question: Autotech or APR on the HPFP? Autotech seems a bargain and with one special tool you can DIY, where APR is $500 and wait time. Same result just different ways to get there?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Thanks for being quick and thorough with your responses Ed! I'll probably get the autotech HPFP and Precision stage 3 LPFP in the coming months before topping it off with this turbo. I'm still IS20 so I'm sure the jump will be amazing.

That should be plenty of fuel even for a solid ethanol mix. You'll definitely enjoy the power!

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
That I like.

Going to stop bugging Ed, but one last question: Autotech or APR on the HPFP? Autotech seems a bargain and with one special tool you can DIY, where APR is $500 and wait time. Same result just different ways to get there?

I haven't tried the APR personally, so I can't speak for that. I've been running the Autotech on my own R for the past 6 months on straight E85 with no issues. We've also installed a few of them and so far so good. I know Mabo has a nice HPFP out as well, but I have not tried that one either.

Thanks
-- Ed

faid

Ready to race!

This is on a 2016 Golf R DSG on crappy 91 Octane. The car has APR intake, APR intercooler, AMS GESI catted downpipe, autotech HPFP, and EQT Vortex Turbo. This car gets tracked a lot, so I kept the tune a bit on the safe side. This is running 28psi tapering to 27psi by redline. We had a few pulls in the 445whp range, but backed it down for reliability on the track.

Here's the dyno chart:

-- Ed

What DSG tune are they running? Any slipping?

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R

Here's the dyno chart:

-- Ed

go any dynos of your turbo on this platform that are not on your dyno?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
go any dynos of your turbo on this platform that are not on your dyno?

Not yet. I know a few people have been working on e-tuning their cars with the turbo, but I don't think anyone else has made it to a dyno yet.

FWIW, my personal Mk7R with stock IS38 on E85 was making around 425whp on my dyno. At that power level, the car trapped 120mph with clutch slipping and launching issues. That was a full weight car with a kid seat still in place ;)

Thanks
-- Ed

Nikolay1

-- Ed

Not yet. I know a few people have been working on e-tuning their cars with the turbo, but I don't think anyone else has made it to a dyno yet.

FWIW, my personal Mk7R with stock IS38 on E85 was making around 425whp on my dyno. At that power level, the car trapped 120mph with clutch slipping and launching issues. That was a full weight car with a kid seat still in place ;)

Thanks
-- Ed

Hello Ed,

What is your whp mean? I have confused with USA whp. Is this real whp or this is flywheel hp? All the time talking about whp, but engine power at least at 15% more. Or USA whp this is engine power? Or you have 490hp on is38 with E85?

But looks on this post I see real whp, so I am completely confused. https://eqtuning.com/blogs/tunes/eqt-2016-golf-r-testing

Can you explain this situation? You got over 500 hp on 91 octane with your turbo or what? So it should do 1/4 mile less then 11 seconds.

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Hello Ed,

What is your whp mean? I have confused with USA whp. Is this real whp or this is flywheel hp? All the time talking about whp, but engine power at least at 15% more. Or USA whp this is engine power? Or you have 490hp on is38 with E85?

But looks on this post I see real whp, so I am completely confused. https://eqtuning.com/blogs/tunes/eqt-2016-golf-r-testing

Can you explain this situation? You got over 500 hp on 91 octane with your turbo or what? So it should do 1/4 mile less then 11 seconds.
In short the turbo is a 10 second 125+mph trap turbo and in the US we use wheel horsepower, generally Dynojets, as a standard.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk