GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My spur-of-the-moment Golf R purchase

ribawaja

Went from not even thinking about owning car, to having my heart set on a Focus RS, to buying a new Golf R (after further research) in the span of a week.

Blue DSG, the only one in this combination I could find within a 75 mi radius.

Rides sweet, ticks all the boxes for me.

Two quibbles, the turning radius (I bought it because it's a small car, but it sure doesn't park like a small car), and those Englishtown wheels. Somebody here called them pinwheels. Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Will take it back for the APR Plus tune in a couple weeks. Not like it needs the extra power, but $1200 for an extra 60+ hp is a no brainer. The intercooler and the intake I believe are the only other engine mods allowed under this program, they don't seem worthwhile though, thoughts welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_1293_vw_small.jpg
    IMG_1293_vw_small.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,372

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Congrats on the new car. Same as mine.

Regarding the turning radius, it does have progressive steering so it turns sharper the more you turn the wheel so it helps to turn it as much as possible as quickly as possible rather than turning gently at first.

Like when making a U-turn you might just leisurely turn the wheel and give it a bit of gas. You'll definitely turn into the far right lane. But if you start making the turn by giving some gas but really cranking on the wheel right away, it does turn better.

I'm always in the car driving happily and never see the wheels. Problem solved.

cdubbgti911

Ready to race!
Congrats! Digging the blue, enjoy your new car sir!

pieguy

Ready to race!
Jb4 is a better and more affordable option than apr plus. You can get a downpipe with the money saved and not worry about eligible or ineligible mods.

ribawaja

Ty, I read about the JB4 and considered it, but people are saying it's risky to have your car serviced at the dealer with it installed, and in my case it's not practical for me to remove it before taking the car for service, having no mechanical inclination or anywhere to work on the car.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Congrats on the new ride, awesome color! I’d also be looking to swap to lighter 18” wheels, the OEM 19s aren’t my taste either.

An intercooler upgrade is always a good idea when adding any extra power, especially tuned. The intake is much less important and won’t make much difference, but wouldn’t hurt if you still have the itch for more

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
One suggestion to consider before adding power is a ceramic coating to protect the paint. Especially if you don’t have a garage to protect it it’ll be worth the investment (I wish I would’ve done mine, too late now)

Thurnis

Ready to race!
One suggestion to consider before adding power is a ceramic coating to protect the paint. Especially if you don’t have a garage to protect it it’ll be worth the investment (I wish I would’ve done mine, too late now)

I think ceramic coating is overated in comparison to actual paint protection film. That's one thing I would have done differently to prevent swirls in the paint and rock chips

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I think ceramic coating is overated in comparison to actual paint protection film. That's one thing I would have done differently to prevent swirls in the paint and rock chips

There’s nothing to keep the film from getting discolored (yellow) or scratches in the film itself.

Properly applied ceramic coating is amazing, just hose the car off and it looks like it was just detailed.

(Btw my car is in the process of being vinyl wrapped, and not because it’s better because it’s too late for my paint)

adam1991

Banned
Ty, I read about the JB4 and considered it, but people are saying it's risky to have your car serviced at the dealer with it installed, and in my case it's not practical for me to remove it before taking the car for service, having no mechanical inclination or anywhere to work on the car.

What is your concern here?

You do know that once tuned, you can never go back with respect to VW new car factory warranty, right? VW will not cover any powertrain issues.

What did your dealer say about this?

Anyway, my very strong advice is, before changing it, to drive the car for awhile and get to know it as it is--AND let any warranty issues reveal themselves so VW can take care of them.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Be careful with that thing up there on those Manhattan streets!
I would have been way to paranoid if I had a car while I was living there....
Congrats!

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Its only 800.00 for APR Stage 1 engine tune here in Delaware. Is that engine or engine and trans for 1200.00. Seems over priced.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
What is your concern here?

You do know that once tuned, you can never go back with respect to VW new car factory warranty, right? VW will not cover any powertrain issues.

What did your dealer say about this?

Anyway, my very strong advice is, before changing it, to drive the car for awhile and get to know it as it is--AND let any warranty issues reveal themselves so VW can take care of them.

Actually that not entirely true. My VW dealer is a Performance VW dealer and has a performance center. They will work with VW to get things warranted if needed and also APR has extensive testing on these cars and has designed these tunes not just for performance but also reliability. So it depends on the dealer. If you get the tune by an aftermarket shop then you might have issues.