GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best all around tire (track and street)

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Plus tread wear is way better than anything else out there for the cost/grip ratio.
That is a huge plus too. I got about 15 track days (road course 5 20 minute sessions each)
Could the RS4 tires provide decent grip for the track (obviously short of a full slick would provide)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think you're talking about the drag strip, not sure. The tires need to get hot before they grip

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Do you guys own a vehicle with Indy 500's on them? Are you speaking from personal experience?

Because I just put a set on my 2016 R (245 / 18 / 40) and took a rotary at high speed in the pouring rain, tires were cool, I continued to excellerate, and I could not believe the amount of grip... and i didn't even come close to the limits of this tire! I can't imagine what these things can handle in the dry (But I'm going to find out [emoji16]).

Also, they are not broken in yet, my understanding is they get better? I get that a slick is going to be better on the track (I have felt fly paper less sticky than Hoosiers in the heat after some laps [emoji6]) but the Indy's are a very sticky street tire for a very reasonable price. They are going up though so better hurry.

They are very quiet too. My one gripe is i thought they would be a bit softer and take bumps a lot better than my 235 / 35 / 19's, but its only slightly better. And this is on a wheel that weights about 8 pounds less than stock. I'll chalk that one up to stiff side walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lol.

I regretfully have Indy 500s on my car right now. They're a good compromise tire, but worthless until 3rd gear and have soft sidewalls.

If you think an Indy 500 is a max performance tire, you're way off.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Lol.

I regretfully have Indy 500s on my car right now. They're a good compromise tire, but worthless until 3rd gear and have soft sidewalls.

If you think an Indy 500 is a max performance tire, you're way off.

I just started tracking this year, but I love the Indy 500. It may be because of my skill level, but I have used Star Specs in autox/daily and I like the compromise of the 500s as a street/track (caveat: at my skill level). It is definitely not an all out lap-time setting tire, but for the $80 I paid per tire I think it's great. Tire choice is very specific to the person/car/your very specific goals and budget.

I imagine on as IS38 FWD car, they are worthless. On stock power IS20, they're very good even in first.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
So the consensus for a tuned S2 IS20 or even IS38 GTI is either :
- Hankooks RS4
- Nitto NT01s
- Federals 595 RS-R

Could I get away with doing only the 2 front tires with the following options and use them for occasional track (1/4 mile) and occasional pulls on the street?!
OR is it recommend to do all 4 tires when running these ''performance summers''

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
None.

I am too picky about my track tires and too picky about my street tires. In other words, what makes a good street tire makes for a bad track tire and vice versa.

Buy a good street tire and have a second set for the track.

x2 (just get a pair of track slicks ready for your 1/4 mi stuff) No street tire is going to hook up, nor will a track tire like R888.)

Just toss them and the jack in the hatch when you go to the track. Then you can run any street tires you want.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Do you guys own a vehicle with Indy 500's on them? Are you speaking from personal experience?

I don't have a set but my friends do and they didn't like its wet performance. At regular everyday driving speeds, it was relatively fine. But it's wet grip wasn't that good once he started pushing it. I would go with the Firestone too but they're sold out everywhere, and my family sometimes drive the car so the Falken are a better tire for me imo. Plus they're still rated very well in the dry and on the track.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I just started tracking this year, but I love the Indy 500. It may be because of my skill level, but I have used Star Specs in autox/daily and I like the compromise of the 500s as a street/track (caveat: at my skill level). It is definitely not an all out lap-time setting tire, but for the $80 I paid per tire I think it's great. Tire choice is very specific to the person/car/your very specific goals and budget.

I imagine on as IS38 FWD car, they are worthless. On stock power IS20, they're very good even in first.

They're a good tire. Cheap, good dry traction, good wet traction, decent lifespan.

For an all out performance tire, definitely better options.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
x2 (just get a pair of track slicks ready for your 1/4 mi stuff) No street tire is going to hook up, nor will a track tire like R888.)

Just toss them and the jack in the hatch when you go to the track. Then you can run any street tires you want.
Agreed!

However, it would be nice to be able to hook in 2nd gear on the street and start playing around with launches and 0-60 (even if the GTI isn't really meant for that)

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Looking to put the same size on mine over the winter to have ready for spring. Riding stock height so I'm hoping going to 235 fills out the wheel well a little more too.
Good review.
I agree 100%.
Grip per $ is great.
My proof I use them.

235/40R18 on 18x8 OZ Leggera’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Swoope

Ready to race!
Can someone recommend an all around good tire for track duties (1/4 mile) and for decent traction on the streets?

(Help avoid making 1st and 2nd gear useless)

Toyo R888?

** I’ve been thinking of getting full slicks but obviously can’t use them on the street so looking for something in between. Yes... I know, I probably won’t be getting as good of traction as I would with a full slick on the track but it’s a trade off in order to also use the tires on the streets **

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you have to define track as road track or 1/4 mile. to very different tires..

if 1/4 mile the best bang for the buck is 2 federal 595 rs rr.

beers

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
you have to define track as road track or 1/4 mile. to very different tires..

if 1/4 mile the best bang for the buck is 2 federal 595 rs rr.

beers

By track I mean 1/4 mile.
How is the Federal 595 rs rr better than a slick on the track?

I guess bang for buck, they are slightly less expensive.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
lol thanks, I knew I said it somewhere

I honestly think that in conclusion to this thread, for track duty (1/4 mile!) - full slicks are the best way to go.

For the street, anything other than the OEM Potenzas will be better. At the end of the day, even if you get an aggressive street tire, you won't hook 1st gear and MAYBE hook in 2nd gear (tuned car). Which won't result in very fast 0-60 times or 1/4 mile times. This car needs a sticky tire and a prepped track to get good times.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Has anyone used the Zestino Gredge 07R? They seem pretty solid and are on sale right now for 30% off due to Black Friday. They seem like a good alternative to the Firestone Firehawk INDY 500 and Falken Azenis FK510.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I've been running Federal 595 RS-RR for a couple months, street and autocross.

On the street, similar to re71r though not quite as sharp at autox. Both are noisy (I used to care about that lol). RS-RR are cheaper, in some cases by a wide margin.