GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust tip pitting/refinish

Tsi7

Ready to race!
The exhaust tips on my 1.8t (gti exhaust) are pitted pretty badly... I was wondering if there is a way to restore them. I have read metal polishers and 0000 steel wool works, but I wanted to get an opinion on mine first before I even begin to start cleaning/refinishing

I took these pictures after cleaning the tips a little with aluminum foil

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I recently tried to liberate the tips on my Clubsport S muffler. I didn't detail them all winter past regular shampoo and brush. I went at them with Eagle One Never Dull this time around after a good bath with some strong APC and a soft brush. I got them to 95% I'd say. APC was CG Grime Reaper at 4:1. Never Dull was bought at Advanced Auto a few years ago. Stuff is awesome.

I do however still have some pitting or etching in the form of spider webs. They look like small cracks in the chrome near the bottom edge where the soot get's the thickest.

Good luck.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I've got pitting on my tips similar to yours. The 0000 steel wool and a good polish will get it about as good looking as it possibly can but unfortunately you really can't restore the chrome finish. Once its gone, its gone. Having the tips re-plated is an option but not worth the effort and expense. Replacing the tips would be a more reasonable option. If I were to replace them I would personally go with a single wall tip that does not have a rolled edge which would avoid most of this issue.