GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI owner thinking of swapping to a Golf R

Nappy216

Ready to race!
I keep hearing over and over how there's a 10k difference between the GTI and the R. There isn't. Comparing apples to apples you'd have to get the SE or Autobahn models in the GTI to compare trim levels that are standard on the R. The R comes heavily equipped out of the box. My GTI SE DSG with Oettinger aero package and Oettinger exhaust retailed at 34,900. Mind you, I didn't pay that because it was a 2017 and was discounted down to 29,900 but even then I was only a little over 6k away from the R.

The same debate used to go on when I was into Subaru's when comparing the WRX vs the STi. You have to load the WRX with options to come to the same trim levels on the STi and the difference was about 5k not 8-10k as people claimed.

Bottom line is that the R isn't as far away in price as some make it out to be. You really have to compare apples to apples on the trim levels as well. The R simply comes with just about everything you'd want as standard fare whereas the GTI offers you those things as options.

If you're on a budget then the GTI Sport is what you want. You have to get the VAQ diff because it's a must and so are the upgraded brakes. If you're buying a loaded GTI and there happens to be a Golf R on the lot, strongly consider making the jump. The real problem we run into is that the R is so scarce and when they do arrive, there's very little wiggle room in price. I wish VW dealers had more in stock, I've known people to buy them in colors they don't even like that much just so they can get one. It's unfortunate for the consumer but I suppose it's good for the dealer as they are probably high grossing units for them.

I like my GTI very much but if I had the option to buy the R I wouldn't hesitate. There just isn't one in the entire state of Minnesota to even look at and I'm sure when one comes in it'll be sold the same day. Only way around it is to just order one and wait.

Window sticker vs real world?
I paid 27K for my 2017 GTI Autoban. If I could have found a R anywhere in in a 100 mile search area for 5K more I would have bought it in an instant. In my experience you could do some serious wheeling and dealing on the GTI. If you could find an R they would not budge 1 penny off the sticker.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Definitely your tires. What size and compound are you running? A wider tire with sticky, advanced compound will react so much differently in performance driving than an average daily OEM tire. Huge difference in braking, turning, and acceleration.

I wanted to update this thread on this point... I now have Michelin Pilot super sport tires on my GTI. In the dry they are super hero tires. I seriously love the traction they provide. However today I had a passenger in the car with me so I was driving very conservatively. Had it happen twice today under light throttle where it felt like the car took away my gas pedal as I was pulling out. Twice in a row within a couple of seconds. Felt like some teenager first time driving a manual transmission. Happened again at another intersection stop sign take off. Those were both what I'd consider easy take offs.

Soo, yeah... I'm going to go back to stock on my GTI then get a R. Don't get me wrong on the GTI. This is still a very tough decision because I still like the GTI. It's been a fantastic daily driver for the 30k miles that I've had it.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Likely every GTI owner enthusiast has gone through this dilemma. If the R was available when I purchased my GTI back in November of 2014 I would of bought the R. I have worked the numbers a few times. However, being as frugal as I am; I always laid down until the urge went away. I am happy with my GTI.