GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

need help. catback exhaust options..

gudxors

Passed Driver's Ed
I have 2016 Golf R Manual with APR intake and small mods.. and after putting 10,000 miles.. now i am looking into upgrade my exhaust setup ( catback first and then add downpipe)..

Below are the options.. (APR vs. Armytrix vs. Billy boat vs. Milltek vs. AWE vs. iPE)..

What do you guys think? iPE exhaust sounds really good but they are like $3500 +

https://youtu.be/0AdQWjBoRgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ecEynvhcg

Last edited:

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Honestly, you're doing it backwards. Downpipe first, then if that isn't enough sound for you, do the catback. At least this way you'll actually get some power out of it.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Honestly, you're doing it backwards. Downpipe first, then if that isn't enough sound for you, do the catback. At least this way you'll actually get some power out of it.

For my setup, I agree with this. I have a catless downpipe with the OEM catback and love it.

Plus, I’m super stealthy with that and running E85 lol

gudxors

Passed Driver's Ed
Wasn’t sure if i can do downpipe + intake + nuespeed power module + catback on stock tune and stock clutch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gudxors

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah I heard some people say the stock clutch can’t really hold up that much power with down pipe

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
You do cat back first you’ll just replace it when your eventual downpipe makes everything too loud. Either buy a “dp friendly” cat back now which won’t be loud enough or pay twice at stage 2 time.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
You do cat back first you’ll just replace it when your eventual downpipe makes everything too loud. Either buy a “dp friendly” cat back now which won’t be loud enough or pay twice at stage 2 time.

This x1000!!!

Navi

Autocross Champion
Lol... Op mentioned he's worried about clutch twice and everyone has disregarded it. I think it's a valid point. I don't know much about the golf r drivetrain but if it's anything like the GTI, Rhat clutch is gonna be a weak point sooner than later.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Yeah I heard some people say the stock clutch can’t really hold up that much power with down pipe

If you're worried about the clutch I'd budget that into the mix. Some folks are still rocking the stock clutch even after going all out with stage 2. Though after reading many build here as well as several of the locals that I hang out with is that the Golf R's clutch will go sooner or later pretty much just like the GTI's clutch.

Research found that the DKM twin disk as well as the South Bend Stage 3 clutches seem to be the best you can go with.

golfR2upg

hi, what about RS3 exhaust and cat? @ golf R - any experience? (goal: silent, ecologic if possible and power ready :) In RS3 I see there are 2 cats (1 directly behind turbo and 2nd /2x)... keep only this 1st behind turbo + just pipes + original exhaust from rs3? br