GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Midwest Track Enthusiast Thread - Dates - Events Planning

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I agree you'll be fine as well.

RA in my old Miatas was a blast, and my Carbotech pads/brembo blanks could last up to a whole season up there.

What's everyone running for pads? Im waiting on stoptech's to come off backorder (supposedly 8/15)
But Im starting to look at other options at this point. Problem is kinda need a street/track pad that can deal with winter as well.
I've learned to not run a dual purpose pad at RA. You'll have pad transfer out the wazoo and have to pull the rotors to clean after every weekend.

I'm going to try hawk dtc-60 next as they are $200 vs the $380 for the pagid rsl-29 that I really want.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Anyone know how Road America is on brakes vs Blackhawk Farms or Autobahn Full course? Considering going, but buddy who has been to RA says I should plan to bring a change of rotors/pads.

RA is pretty hard on the brakes due to the higher speeds. I think autobahn is fairly hard on the brakes as well, blackhawk not so much.

I agree you'll be fine as well.

RA in my old Miatas was a blast, and my Carbotech pads/brembo blanks could last up to a whole season up there.

What's everyone running for pads? Im waiting on stoptech's to come off backorder (supposedly 8/15)
But Im starting to look at other options at this point. Problem is kinda need a street/track pad that can deal with winter as well.
Carbotech xp12 (I have a stoptech st40 BBK though)

Grommit

Passed Driver's Ed
Ah. I've had really good luck with the Stoptech Sports (at USAIR and RA in my 16 WRX) and also ran them in winter just fine.

Not making it to the track enough to justify swapping pads regularly. Debating Ferodo DS2500's for next year if I make it to more events, then swapping back to stock for winter. I am just having issues b/c apparently brake pads for this car are hard to find...

What are ya'll doing for the brake pad wear sensor on say carbotech's or GG-Loc's that dont have the sensor in them? Just live with the light? Make a wire to complete the circuit?

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Ah. I've had really good luck with the Stoptech Sports (at USAIR and RA in my 16 WRX) and also ran them in winter just fine.

Not making it to the track enough to justify swapping pads regularly. Debating Ferodo DS2500's for next year if I make it to more events, then swapping back to stock for winter. I am just having issues b/c apparently brake pads for this car are hard to find...

What are ya'll doing for the brake pad wear sensor on say carbotech's or GG-Loc's that dont have the sensor in them? Just live with the light? Make a wire to complete the circuit?

I personally wouldn't run street pads at a track like RA. If you do, pay close attention to what the car is telling you. Give a love tap often to make sure you still have brakes before coming into a hard zone. And 100% make sure you have high temp fluid in there.

My track car is a mk6, I was able to vagcom off the brake warning light. Should be able to do the same with the mk7's.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie

Vagcom the light off or cut the oem sensor and solder it to complete connection.

I WOULD NOT recommend ds2500's for track use. They deposit on your rotors like nothing else. For street use they would be fine but they CANNOT handle the temps you will see at RA.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I personally wouldn't run street pads at a track like RA. If you do, pay close attention to what the car is telling you. Give a love tap often to make sure you still have brakes before coming into a hard zone. And 100% make sure you have high temp fluid in there.

My track car is a mk6, I was able to vagcom off the brake warning light. Should be able to do the same with the mk7's.

The iSweep pads I run claim they are for winding road/short circuit racing and have held up nicely so far. My main concern has been boiling the fluid since I am running the smaller 312mm brakes, but even at Autobahn everything seemed fine on a 85F day and boy did the brakes get hot! I run the RS3 air ducts as well, so I feel like October weather + longer straights for more cooling time at RA should keep my brakes in good working order.

Will definitely follow your advice. Do you use a temp gun to check your brakes or anything after each session?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-isweep-...ro-tt-8s-20t-quattro--front-/is2500-1338~isp/

Grommit

Passed Driver's Ed
my buddy who will be there has an IR gun so Ill be keeping track on BHF. He boils the fluid right out of his 370z.

Hmm...interesting note on the DS2500's, see a lot of people running them. I have an email into G-LOC to see if they will make a pad for the MK7 R, waiting on responses still though.

I also have the RS3 brake deflector ducts. I am ALSO trying to prototype an actual duct that goes in the little triangle right in front of the wheel, to more effectively direct airflow to the brakes. (with a 3d printed part)

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
The iSweep pads I run claim they are for winding road/short circuit racing and have held up nicely so far. My main concern has been boiling the fluid since I am running the smaller 312mm brakes, but even at Autobahn everything seemed fine on a 85F day and boy did the brakes get hot! I run the RS3 air ducts as well, so I feel like October weather + longer straights for more cooling time at RA should keep my brakes in good working order.

Will definitely follow your advice. Do you use a temp gun to check your brakes or anything after each session?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-isweep-...ro-tt-8s-20t-quattro--front-/is2500-1338~isp/
I have before but don't do it on a regular basis.

Castrol SRF fluid is by far the best fluid I've come across. Motul rbf 660 and rbf 600 I was getting a mushy pedal towards the end of a 20 minute session. Stoptech 600 same thing. Switched to SRF and can go 30+ and still have a hard pedal. Haven't ever felt the pedal starting to go since I switched. It's expensive but worth it.

Grommit

Passed Driver's Ed
Bled my brakes friday night with some leftover Motul RBF600 (closed sealed can of course)

Checked rear pads are at like 75% so those are fine. Fronts are at about 5-6mm though, getting close but think I can still eek out a track afternoon with only 3 sessions at BHF.
Still haven't gotten my replacement pads off backorder.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
my buddy who will be there has an IR gun so Ill be keeping track on BHF. He boils the fluid right out of his 370z.

Hmm...interesting note on the DS2500's, see a lot of people running them. I have an email into G-LOC to see if they will make a pad for the MK7 R, waiting on responses still though.

I also have the RS3 brake deflector ducts. I am ALSO trying to prototype an actual duct that goes in the little triangle right in front of the wheel, to more effectively direct airflow to the brakes. (with a 3d printed part)
5,6,7 R should use same pads

Grommit

Passed Driver's Ed
I couldnt find confirmation of that anywhere.
Either way, got GLOC on the phone and they have their entire pad line available for the MK7r available.

So probably going to cancel my stoptech order and go with GLOC R8's.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Same pricing as the 6R ones?
I couldnt find confirmation of that anywhere.
Either way, got GLOC on the phone and they have their entire pad line available for the MK7r available.

So probably going to cancel my stoptech order and go with GLOC R8's.

Grommit

Passed Driver's Ed
Same pricing as the 6R ones?

Honestly didnt look. Was on the phone with them instead since wasn't listed on the site. 251 for R8, 270 for R10's

Quick look at the site, NOT THE SAME.
2012-2014 GS-1 R6 R8 R10 R12 R14 R16 R18
F: GP915R $171 $184 $200 $216 $228 $239 $252 $276

The part they quoted me was the GP1633-R8 (R10 R12 etc etc)