GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI revealed in Australia

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Simple facts are easy to grasp even by people like you.

That you don't, means that you've chosen to ignore the facts.

Are you capable of replying without insulting other members? Maybe a break might do you some good. I can make that happen. Let me know.

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
Civic Sedan:
MT 28 city/40 hwy/32 combined
AT 31 city/40 hwy/34 combined

City, the AT gets 10.7% better gas mileage. That's nothing to sneeze at, if you're Honda staring down the barrel of the gov't regulators.

Combined, that's 6.25% better gas mileage.

Honda has been quoting these kinds of numbers for quite some time now.

Between keeping the regulators off their backs AND the extremely small take of manual trans cars in the field (which leads to higher costs overall in creating and supporting the low-take MT), it's no wonder senior management at automakers wants to know why they should spend the money to keep the MT alive.

It's not that they won't, but every day, every week, every year they need a better and better story to keep it alive. Pretty soon there won't be a story good enough to continue to spend the money and effort.

Lots of individual vehicles have ATs claiming or offering better consumption ratings than the available MT. Doesnt say anything about which transmission TYPE is fundamentally more thermodynamically efficient. Almost always, in specific vehicle offerings, where the AT rates better on consumption, the AT has different ratio sets, more gears to play with, or isnt a traditional automatic. THAT is the reason for the difference, not simply the TYPE of gearbox.

In your example, it appears youre comparing a fixed gear manual box (5 or 6 ratios?) to a CVT, which is hardly apples to apples. Were an MT to be geared for slower speeds, it would be as good, or better, on consumption. But a CVT will have an advantage in ratio spread, allowing it to be at optimal engine speed at ANY road speed. This is a cool thing, but CVTs also have significant limitations/compromises, so again not an apples to apples fair trade. If you only want a low power engine and best economy, a CVT may be a good thing. But serious engine power? What about maintenance and longevity? These are some reasons you can't call a CVT "better" based solely on the one criteria.

adam1991

Banned
Lots of individual vehicles have ATs claiming or offering better consumption ratings than the available MT. Doesnt say anything about which transmission TYPE is fundamentally more thermodynamically efficient. Almost always, in specific vehicle offerings, where the AT rates better on consumption, the AT has different ratio sets, more gears to play with, or isnt a traditional automatic. THAT is the reason for the difference, not simply the TYPE of gearbox.

Doesn't matter--Honda teaches to the test. So does every other automaker. The EPA cycle rules. And if Honda can get consumer acceptance that also meets the test requirements. that's what they'll do.

In your example, it appears youre comparing a fixed gear manual box (5 or 6 ratios?) to a CVT, which is hardly apples to apples. Were an MT to be geared for slower speeds, it would be as good, or better, on consumption. But a CVT will have an advantage in ratio spread, allowing it to be at optimal engine speed at ANY road speed. This is a cool thing, but CVTs also have significant limitations/compromises, so again not an apples to apples fair trade. If you only want a low power engine and best economy, a CVT may be a good thing. But serious engine power? What about maintenance and longevity? These are some reasons you can't call a CVT "better" based solely on the one criteria.

But none of that has any bearing on the sales lot in front of the buying customer.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I agree with Adam on this.

in order of importance:

Consumers (aka Sheeple)
EPA
Enthusiasts

most of us on car forums are car geeks. We enjoy cars....many people just want transportation that fits their ideal combo of practicality, style, price, performance, economy. Some want status....many of us here value performance more than avg. Even people like me that only drives it hard 1 or 2x per week.

bonus fact: I did the long way home this week...10 miles of two lane twisty roads. There is one corner that is a real hard left 90 deg + corner (acute?) if you look about 200 feet before the turn you have a sight line through the trees and can tell if you can cut into the opposing lane...clear so I blasted through it right onto fresh chip seal!!!.......slid about 4 feet over before it caught. I'm glad I cut into the other lane or I would have been into the field.

for city folk chip sealing is when they coat the road with a thin layer of sticky tar then put pea gravel on top of that. When it's fresh imagine sticky ball bearings.......

Last edited:

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
I like that Atlantic Blue, but I'd still choose DIB over it.

adam1991

Banned
Thanks lol, I thoroughly enjoyed that. And I'm honestly not trying to pick on anyone either. I'm just defending manual transmissions. Yet some seem to think it's their duty to tell me how wrong I am because the automotive media world has told them it must be so. I mean JFC, there was a time when consumer demand actually drove product development. But I guess now, we must all just love what we don't want, because some millennial twats, regurgitating media horse dung, said so! But that appears to be the real ends of this screwed up society - people incapable of thinking critically, of forming original theses, instead just programmed what to want, what to expect, what to think. Lol. Yea.

EDIT: I just want to add, that what really gets me, is how and why ANYONE that considers themself a car enthusiast, would ever HONESTLY argue to KILL OFF manual transmissions? Just generally, how can you love and appreciate all things automotive, yet genuinely be in favor of, or defend, the extinction of the manual transmission? It's absurd on it's face. Even if you are a manual driver that concedes some benefits to automatics, it's no reason to advocate getting rid of them.

You actively refuse to get it, don't you.

Your type of "emotional engagement" has gone the way of the horse and buggy. It's yours, you own it, but there's zero money to be made by satisfying you and your ilk. Rather, it COSTS money to do so.

Acknowledge that you and your type in this regard are as rare as hen's teeth. Then follow the business logic from there. Maybe you'll understand.

Otherwise, you sound like Veruca Salt whining about how you want a golden ticket NOW! and expecting the world to respond like her father did.

Watch out--your foil hat needs tucked back in on the side there.

Seriously, you are giving FAR too much conspiracy to the whole thing. You're overthinking it by FAR.

Quite simply, the car makers exist to MAKE MONEY. The reason behind EVERYTHING they do is to MAKE MONEY. To maximize profits.

If you see them "pushing auto trans," it's because that's what MAKES THEM MONEY.

They are very simple creatures, far simpler than you're willing to imagine.

That's a man-child if I have ever seen one lol.

It's really unfortunate for those who prefer manuals, but yes, the writing is on the wall sadly. The take rate on autos is just higher these days and there's undoubtedly a lot development and manufacturing related savings to be made by offering only one choice of transmission. That's still excluding all the other practical benefits such as better performance and better fuel economy.

Audi’s U.S. Lineup Will Be Free of Manual Gearboxes In 2019

adam1991

Banned
Well, it's not like they can't make an acceptable 7 speed DSG. They just haven't yet, that's all.

I wonder how Audi does the 7 speed DSG.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Keep in mind, too, that car companies think some years ahead (or they should). If you're running R&D for a car company today, how much effort do you want to put into continuing to develop, improve, certify, integrate, etc. a technology that is largely going to be irrelevant to everything else you are doing? Manual transmissions, being pretty much solely and directly connected to ICE development, are probably _not_ part of the future, because ICE cars are, eventually, going away. Not today, not tomorrow, but the day is visible from the higher mountain tops. And the R&D types are not scrambling to process the lessons of the first couple of generations of modern electric cars, and putting more and more money into all the things that go with them. I do not know for certain, of course--they don't call me up and give me their road maps--but I'm guessing that any engineer who asks for a budget to continue to develop and improve manual transmissions for ICE cars is going to have a very hard time getting any money from corporate.

My guess, too, is that in the next ten years, you'll see the existing manual transmissions lag behind in terms of development; they won't keep pace with the rest of the car, and eventually even enthusiasts who worship at the Church of the Third Pedal will have to admit that they better find a new faith community.

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
The same fate will happen with the GTI. Sooner than people realize. They don't seem to be too thrilled with the 7 speed dual clutch either. Bad days ahead.

I don't think so. In the USA at least, GTI is still marketed as an enthusiast car. No manual in VWs iconic enthusiast car? Especially when they offer plenty in Europe? They can afford the drivetrain certification losses.

As to Audi, good to know. Guess I'll never buy an Audi product in the USA. Shame too, the RS3 is supposed to be a monster.

My bigger bother with VW is the current CEO of VWAG apparently wants all VWs to be electric in a few years. I guess the younger generations will be happy with electrics. I won't buy one, ever, period, nor will many monied Americans. It's a funny thing btw, those young generations. They're mostly broke, living in their parent's basements.

I also think all the hand waving about the electric car "revolution" is fantasy of the left progressives. Electric cars will have a place, but Americans want their piston engines. Sure, the lunatic government can try to overtly or indirectly ban them, but given an honest choice, lots, probably most, Americans will be loving ICEs for many years to come. And unless you want to change the Constitution of the US, existing ICE vehicles will be on our roads for many years to come.

Last edited:

RogueGTI

Ready to race!

My guess, too, is that in the next ten years, you'll see the existing manual transmissions lag behind in terms of development; they won't keep pace with the rest of the car, and eventually even enthusiasts who worship at the Church of the Third Pedal will have to admit that they better find a new faith community.

You make some fair points, but to your argument, there isn't much development involved or needed with manual transmissions. They are a mature technology, that works well. 7 speed manuals exist, and work great. The only "development" would be in creating new boxes for new engines, but that's just a design task, not an R&D task.

There's nothing to admit. It's not a religion, it's a recognition and a philosophy - let drivers be in control, or let a computer programmer drive your car for you? Freedom or servitude? Give buyers a choice of how best to propel their wheels, or force them to take on the burden of a more expensive, less reliable contraption attached to their cars?

Last edited:

ofektal8

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey, was just trying to find some info about the 2019 Golf and I saw this pic ( attached )

Will the Gear Selector Really look like that?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

adam1991

Banned
I saw that as well. The article makes it clear, this is an engineering mule for Mk8. That's an Audi shifter.

Also look at whatever's in the cupholders, as well as the cobbled-up instrument panel with some virtual cockpit screen that's just stuck on there and the infotainment screen area, which is where they stuck the climate control buttons inside a makeshift screwed-on frame.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I saw that as well. The article makes it clear, this is an engineering mule for Mk8. That's an Audi shifter.

Also look at whatever's in the cupholders, as well as the cobbled-up instrument panel with some virtual cockpit screen that's just stuck on there and the infotainment screen area, which is where they stuck the climate control buttons inside a makeshift screwed-on frame.

And the odd (non-GTI) steering wheel too.