GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best ESC Settings for Road Course

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
https://youtu.be/SdVGE_zn5h0

7:33 I gain so much momentum on the Boxster that I go code brown and jump off the gas because of the high close rate. As you can see I get major liftoff oversteer. Our cars aren’t Miatas but I still consider them to be momentum cars. Better suited to high speed corners than slow corners where the torque limiter impacts power in 2nd and 3rd gears.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
So I have another question I’d like to put to the group.

As a rule of thumb, I’d expect potential braking G’s to be close to 80% of max lateral G (1.1g on Michelin PS4). Looking at my Harry’s Laptimer, I don’t seem to get past .7G on the brakes with my GTi. Activating ABS doesn’t improve that number either.

Based on my guesstimated rule of thumb I should be able to brake at .9g

What has been your experience?

Curious on how the brake assist impacts brake performance? I also prefer a linear feel to my brake application. Makes a for easier modulation.

Last edited:

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Braking G should be the same if not higher than max Lat. Most tires are capable of generating more longitudinal grip than lateral grip. I see as much as 1.1G on BFG Rival Ss on autoX course for peak braking on concrete, slightly less for asphalt. I do see more lateral Gs(I've seen peak around 1.2 and maybe 1.1 sustained, about 0.05-0.1 less between asphalt and concrete) being pulled on autoX course mainly because the kind of braking zone you see are just not that long or heavy on an autoX.

This is still cell phone accelerometer data mounted to a sturdy mount on the center console so take it with a grain of salt.

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
The changes already covered (what @00Zero and @fretburner said) have worked for me so far, in order of how much I feel they make a difference. YMMV...

- ESC off. I have one-press:ESC Sport/Hold:ESC completely off. While I've kept it in Sport with some instructors in the car if they prefer, I much prefer it off on track. In ESC Sport the rear brakes also get eaten up noticeably quicker.

- Hydraulic brake assistant to off: a fair amount more linear brake pressure and less grabby right when getting on the brakes

- Starting vibration reduction off: not much of an effect on track while moving, especially on stock power. Made a rain session at VIR a little more fun, only time I've felt wheelspin (lol)

- VAQ differential to "increased traction" & re calibration

- XDS to weak; didn't notice much of a change in the single day I've done with it this way

Last edited:

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Additionally, I've turned off the torque limiter. I had also turned off the starting vibration reduction, but ended up switching it back on as I did not enjoy the sound of the engine mounts clunking, and am not planning to upgrade them.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Braking G should be the same if not higher than max Lat. Most tires are capable of generating more longitudinal grip than lateral grip. I see as much as 1.1G on BFG Rival Ss on autoX course for peak braking on concrete, slightly less for asphalt. I do see more lateral Gs(I've seen peak around 1.2 and maybe 1.1 sustained, about 0.05-0.1 less between asphalt and concrete) being pulled on autoX course mainly because the kind of braking zone you see are just not that long or heavy on an autoX.

This is still cell phone accelerometer data mounted to a sturdy mount on the center console so take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m assuming you are still on stock PP brakes? What pads are you running?

Only got .9g max on the brakes running a BBK and NT01’s on my Mini with 1.2g lateral. I’ve seen 1.3 on occasion. I think I can get 1g out of this BBK. More if I go to more aggressive pads.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The changes already covered (what @00Zero and @fretburner said) have worked for me so far, in order of how much I feel they make a difference. YMMV...

- ESC off. I have one-press:ESC Sport/Hold:ESC completely off. While I've kept it in Sport with some instructors in the car if they prefer, I much prefer it off on track. In ESC Sport the rear brakes also get eaten up noticeably quicker.

- Hydraulic brake assistant to off: a fair amount more linear brake pressure and less grabby right when getting on the brakes

- Starting vibration reduction off: not much of an effect on track while moving, especially on stock power. Made a rain session at VIR a little more fun, only time I've felt wheelspin (lol)

- VAQ differential to "increased traction" & re calibration

- XDS to weak; didn't notice much of a change in the single day I've done with it this way

ESC off was your biggest improvement in laptime?
So this mod has a greater impact on brake longevity than XDS?

I was disappointed to see the VAQ. mod so far down the list.

My understanding from the forum research is that Starting vibration reduction off, is more for the drag strip?

Thanks for the feedback.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Additionally, I've turned off the torque limiter. I had also turned off the starting vibration reduction, but ended up switching it back on as I did not enjoy the sound of the engine mounts clunking, and am not planning to upgrade them.

Did you leave the torque limiter on? Or are these essentially one and the same mod?

Getting full torque in third gear would be helpful at VIR. I would try running 3rd gear in a couple of high rpm 2nd gear corners.

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Did you leave the torque limiter on? Or are these essentially one and the same mod?

Getting full torque in third gear would be helpful at VIR. I would try running 3rd gear in a couple of high rpm 2nd gear corners.

I turned the torque limiter off, as well as starting vibration reduction, but then turned vibration reduction back on to stop the engine mount banging during quick starts on the street. Some users report their torque limiter was originally set to off, but mine was not. Try it both ways and see what works better for your on-track needs!

Both settings should be under
03 Brakes / adaptations

Related to your original question, it seems the brake booster can be adjusted for firmer pedal feel. I have not tried this, but this thread has some good detail:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22067

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Can I make all these changes with OB-eleven?

Or do I need VAGCOM?

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Lots of good info in this thread! But i am also confused... :confused:

I'm completely new to the Mk7, coming from a long and fruitful relationship with a Mk6 (152k miles, 6k miles on track) and don't recall it having a torque limiter, but then again i didn't get into vagcom. Can someone tell me how the torque limiter is implemented, i.e., does ECU cut power, or is it something else?

I concur with others' experience regarding mechanical diff, wavetrac in my old car was good for 3 seconds on VIR full. :D

FWIW, i'm in a 2015 S and the suspension is so floaty it drives me nuts :mad: Definitely going to do something about that before i dare track it.

EDIT: Sorry for the noob question about the torque limiter, i read all about it today, god damn :mad: Time to get a VCDS!

Last edited:

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the feedback. I’m assuming you are still on stock PP brakes? What pads are you running?

Only got .9g max on the brakes running a BBK and NT01’s on my Mini with 1.2g lateral. I’ve seen 1.3 on occasion. I think I can get 1g out of this BBK. More if I go to more aggressive pads.

Sorry for the late reply, haven't checked this in a while.

I am running stock PP pads on stock PP brakes. The fact that the car can still get into ABS with sticky tires means its probably still sufficient in terms of brake friction. I am curious if running BBK(assuming only on the front axle) if it messes with EBD and causing it to pull brake pressure to prevent lockup earlier.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
How about reducing stability control support with obd11