GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are we getting the Polo in the US?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I would love to see the Polo GTI in the US; however, I believe your local dealer does not know the difference between a Golf GTI and a Polo GTI. For the US, it is not going to happen.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
It is a dealer rendering from Hewlett VW in Waco, TX. The ad agency probably saw this online, added the dealer plate and the pictures of the German trainee mechanics. They saw the GTI and didn't know it was a Polo (just like one of the posters here).

You're probably spot on. Nothing to do with dealer since an ad agency probably puts these together. Dealer I'm sure received a proof to review and whoever did either overlooked it or didn't really care what car was on the cover.

jackalope

Ready to race!
Hewlett is the VW dealership North of Austin. If they photoshopped their logo onto a plate, I would say that means they're going to sell it. Or someone accidentally used the wrong car

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, it's a Polo, and I agree it's not coming to the U.S.

Now that we have that out of the way, this is is as good a time as any to ask whether the Polo presages any of the design language we can expect in the Mk8. For example, the window in the C pillar is new to Polo. Will the Mk8 Golf look similar? IMHO, the C pillar could use a little visual "slimming" after seven generations and 45 years.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Yes, it's a Polo, and I agree it's not coming to the U.S.

Now that we have that out of the way, this is is as good a time as any to ask whether the Polo presages any of the design language we can expect in the Mk8. For example, the window in the C pillar is new to Polo. Will the Mk8 Golf look similar? IMHO, the C pillar could use a little visual "slimming" after seven generations and 45 years.

The C pillar window isn’t new to the Polo; the two previous generations of the five door Polo dating back to 2002 had this C pillar window.

I suspect the wide C pillar will feature on the mk8 Golf, as this is part of its design heritage, and as you’ve said, goes back to the original mk1 Golf. It’s something that many people associate with the Golf, and VW aren’t renowned for making radical design changes - especially not their core model.

As for design language of the mk8 Golf; the latest VW family ‘face’ can be seen on the T-Roc, Arteon, and the new Polo, so it’s highly likely the next generation Golf will have similar styling cues from these models.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
The C pillar window isn’t new to the Polo; the two previous generations of the five door Polo dating back to 2002 had this C pillar window. . . .
Right you are. We've never had them available in the U.S., and in my mind's eye I pictured Polo as having the same basic "architecture" as the Golf, particularly as they've grown larger.

And you're probably correct about the Mk8 as well, which you will likely see and be able to purchase at least a year, and maybe two years, before we will. And that's only if VOA decides to manufacturer the Mk8 in Mexico for sale here. Even money on that, too.

Last edited:

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Don't reckon Mk8 Golf will have a C pillar window. Think y'all should be looking more at the new Polo interior for clues, 'specially that the screen is positioned higher in the dashboard and above the centre vents, good idea IMO....

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Here's a video review of the new Polo GTI..
.. https://youtu.be/PTWIBRGR47o
Thanks for the link, MIKE. Neat car. If it were available here in the U.S., I'd choose one over the Golf GTI simply because it's smaller, lighter and more in keeping with the original Mk1 GTI. And if VOA hadn't thoroughly destroyed the brand's reputation in the U.S. over the last 30 years, there might actually be a market for a smaller, high quality performance car in the segment.