GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
sheer curiosity, how does one ~become~ a mod? not saying i care to be one because i'm a pretty flavorful person, but i'm wondering why people like diggs aren't (but i guess that's just cause he doesn't want to be)

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Thank you so much. He has been a thorn in my side since his first post. I can only feed somebody literal step by step instructions on how to use google so many times.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
sheer curiosity, how does one ~become~ a mod? not saying i care to be one because i'm a pretty flavorful person, but i'm wondering why people like diggs aren't (but i guess that's just cause he doesn't want to be)

No thanks. I mod another forum. It's not as fun as it looks.

Back in the days of yore when actual people owned forums (vs the conglomerates now) it was because you knew someone or were just helpful for a long time and didn't cause trouble and they needed help.

*puts on mod hat

"Pardon me sir, your query belongs here:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3063

Thank you."

;)

cb1111

I've found that many people are pretty bad at searching so there is a need for a thread like this to ask simple "stupid" questions and for the most part the responses have been pretty civil.

For those of us who have been modders for a while, we know most of the acronyms used here, but how does a new kid know what a BOV, CAI, dogbone or whatever is?

My first job was as a salesperson for cameras and electronics (or "high end hi-fi" as it was called). I was a photography buff for a long time and knew a lot about this stuff.

One day I was in a mandatory class from a major manufacturer (I don't remember if it was Nikon, Pentax or Canon). The session had about 50 people in it and the facilitators were droning on about features on their cameras. One new salesperson in the back raised her hand and said "what is that 'hot shoe' you're talking about?" (a 'hot shoe' is a connector on the top of a camera that a separate flash fits into) There were snickers throughout the group and I learned a valuable lesson that day - we aren't born understanding things and we need to learn even the simplest new concepts.

That said, there is zero excuse for anyone to be rude, crude and socially unacceptable (being snarky at the right time is usually fine) and there comes a time when one additional foolish question is one too many.

Like Diggs, I was a mod at a major board some years ago and you have to walk a fine line between letting people express themselves and using the banhammer. I think the mods here are doing an admirable job.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I mean i personally talked to this kid a few days ago and told him to come to this thread to get stupid questions answered, but the way he responds to people has made me see enough. I can see about 20 different infractions. I hate banning people but enough is enough. He only got a 1 month ban, next time will be permanent.

The people are lucky when you get to them first. Having been a mod on golfmkv.com, golfmk6.com and now mk7.com for years, I don't have nearly the patience that you do.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
No thanks. I mod another forum. It's not as fun as it looks.
THIS X10000

People like 2slow and I do it out of the goodness of our hearts, we don't get anything for doing this other than helping a community that we are a part of. Dealing with a Whiney people who think we're here to solve personal disputes gets exhausting.

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
I mean i personally talked to this kid a few days ago and told him to come to this thread to get stupid questions answered, but the way he responds to people has made me see enough. I can see about 20 different infractions. I hate banning people but enough is enough. He only got a 1 month ban, next time will be permanent.

Thank you! Tired of his daily nonsense. Hopefully he’ll learn that people are trying to help him and also learn how to be civil to others.

JasGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
So since our Fog Lights are LEDs and LEDs do not generate Heat, Is it useless during snow?

I realize it’s only July but... a bit of a Boy Scout. *shrug*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEDs generate heat. The design of the grilles seems like a total snow trap though.

If it is a legitimate issue for you, you could just fab up some heated fog light grilles. No shortage of hot things in the engine bay to borrow some temp from. ;)

JasGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Stupid question: “Stage” means... what exactly?

I know that the higher the stage the more tuned an engine is but is it an actual industry standard spec? That is to say Brand X stage 2 and Brand Y stage 2 tuned Golfs will have the Same parts upgraded, just set up different?

Before anyone yells at me to search first, I tried. There are many many posts talking about stage this and stage that. Humor me. :(

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Stupid question: “Stage” means... what exactly?

I know that the higher the stage the more tuned an engine is but is it an actual industry standard spec? That is to say Brand X stage 2 and Brand Y stage 2 tuned Golfs will have the Same parts upgraded, just set up different?

Before anyone yells at me to search first, I tried. There are many many posts talking about stage this and stage that. Humor me. :(

Yeah, stages are just industry standard levels of modification.

Stage 1 generally doesn't "require" anything besides an ECU tune, although it can certainly benefit.

Stage 2 requires a downpipe, intercooler, and colder spark plugs (most people add an intake, because it's recommended by tuners, even though it's not "necessary," just a way for tuners to milk more money out of you). This, for all intents and purposes, maxes out your OEM turbo.

There's "Stage 2+" which is the same as above but replaces the GTI turbo (IS20) with the Golf R turbo (IS38), so you get a more linear power delivery (less wheel spin in lower RPM) and more power up top.

Stage 3/3+ is aftermarket turbo replacement territory, where 400hp+ is the general range of power. Fueling upgrades, water/meth, and building the engine block are all common/generally required for this level of modification.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah, stages are just industry standard levels of modification.

Stage 1 generally doesn't "require" anything besides an ECU tune, although it can certainly benefit.

Stage 2 requires a downpipe, intercooler, and colder spark plugs (most people add an intake, because it's recommended by tuners, even though it's not "necessary," just a way for tuners to milk more money out of you). This, for all intents and purposes, maxes out your OEM turbo.

There's "Stage 2+" which is the same as above but replaces the GTI turbo (IS20) with the Golf R turbo (IS38), so you get a more linear power delivery (less wheel spin in lower RPM) and more power up top.

Stage 3/3+ is aftermarket turbo replacement territory, where 400hp+ is the general range of power. Fueling upgrades, water/meth, and building the engine block are all common/generally required for this level of modification.

Unless Cobb OTS.

Or CSR2 on Android. Really? 6 stages?? Fak.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
LEDs generate heat. The design of the grilles seems like a total snow trap though.

If it is a legitimate issue for you, you could just fab up some heated fog light grilles. No shortage of hot things in the engine bay to borrow some temp from. ;)

LED's themselves don't generate heat, the circuitry to drive them does - hence why they are so much more energy efficient than incandescent. LED's output their energy in light, instead of heat. Large LED cobs like the ones used in headlights have a hefty heatsink on the back. I'm not sure if the fogs on our cars have a heatsink or not, but if someone could find a way to route the heat from the heatsink into the fog grille to melt snow that would be an awesome mod

Last edited:

T7 AHR

Stop / Start Function

Hi - soon to be a new GTI Performance owner.
First of many stupid questions - is it possible to turn the Stop / Start off - without using an IID tool etc.? - not bothered if its a repetitive action
Cheers
Adam