GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boost Leak Tester?

Thrawn

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone use a boost leak tester?

Where did you install it?

I'm guessing at the turbo inlet pipe. Is it safe to pressurize the PCV?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
And reason people don't use snoop (very mild dish soap mixed with water in a spray bottle) and just press it up to 2-3 psig?

It's a tried and true method for detecting leaks in industrial applications. The air blows bubbles where it's leaking. Shouldn't hurt anything under the hood.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
And reason people don't use snoop (very mild dish soap mixed with water in a spray bottle) and just press it up to 2-3 psig?

It's a tried and true method for detecting leaks in industrial applications. The air blows bubbles where it's leaking. Shouldn't hurt anything under the hood.

That's how I've always done it.

A smoke machine isn't going to do anything unless you also pressurize the system. The system can be sealed at atmospheric and leaking badly at 20psi.

Stick a boost leak tester right on the mouth of the turbo and go about 10-15psi above your max boost pressure.

If it doesn't hold, start spraying the connections with soapy water to figure out where it's leaking. Major leaks will be audible, but small ones won't.

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
That's how I've always done it.

A smoke machine isn't going to do anything unless you also pressurize the system. The system can be sealed at atmospheric and leaking badly at 20psi.

Stick a boost leak tester right on the mouth of the turbo and go about 10-15psi above your max boost pressure.

If it doesn't hold, start spraying the connections with soapy water to figure out where it's leaking. Major leaks will be audible, but small ones won't.

This is my go to as well, until the engine gets hot and the BigBlue cooks off to quick to bubble. Alternatively a can of ether while the engine is off around the suspected connection and see if you get a high idle on start, only problem is it can take a while for the system to draw it in if the leak is small (patience is key). Or just feel around for a tear if you suspect a hose...

Hoon

Autocross Champion
My smoke tester pressurizes it to whatever psi you want. I certainly wouldn't want soap going through my turbo but that's just me.

Just compressed air goes into the turbo.

You spray the connections (on the outside) with soapy water.

I didn't know they made smoke machines that did 40psi or better, that's pretty cool.

Thrawn

Passed Driver's Ed
And OP: the purpose of the PCV is to not allow pressure into the crankcase so you'd be fine.

Why are you checking for a boost leak?

Thanks everyone!

At about 10 psi, I get a trumpet sound. I am certain that it is the charge hose on the FMIC, as I have adjusted it previously to lessen the boost leak.

However, I do not want to be constantly pull the bumper off. Just hoping for one more adjustment and be done with it, hence a boost leak test.

Ok, so I'll build my own tester, via compressed air, and connect to the turbo inlet pipe.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Pretty sure I got the boost leak tester for my A4B5 from frozenboost, it worked great.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Just a precaution, remove your oil cap before pressurizing the system. GL

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Here you go